Third Life - I Need to Challenge Myself....Really?

Three Lives, One Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been a week since I came back to Seoul. 48 hours since I came back to work. 2880 minutes had passed since I stepped my feet into this hospital again. But, somehow it was very hard to force myself to concentrate. I did not even remember what we discussed with the hospital director’s during the meeting. My mind was so full with dr.Byun Baekhyun’s stories about his experiences in different countries. And his question, that he asked like it was not a big deal, stuck in my head like it was attached to my brain.

“Don’t you want to challenge yourself, dr.Park?”

That one simple line had been haunting me since I left Brisbane. During the flight, I chose not to talk to the lady next to me who looked so eager to start a conversation. I asked myself again and again if I want to challenge myself!

“Do I really want to do it? Am I willing to lose my stable job and all the comforts it offers? Will I regret my decision if I leave everything behind and start again from zero? Am I ready for the big change?”

Kim Han Bin, a fellow doctor in this hospital and my best friend, tapped my back and brought me back to reality.

“Something wrong with you, Bro. What’s happening?”

”Nothing. I’m still tired because of the trip. That’s all.”

“I didn’t remember you complained when we returned from Eastern Europe. Long hour flight and we did everything only in five days! Your trip to Brisbane was heaven compared to that! So, I don’t buy it, Park Chanyeol!”

“Has anyone told you that you are such a , Kim Han Bin?”

“Well, when I first met So Hyun, she said that to me!” I knew he was picturing in his head the first day he met Kim So Hyun, a nurse in my department whom he fell in love with.

“Serve you right!”

“Shut up! Tell me what’s going on right now or I’ll make you reveal your secret tonight when we’re home, huh?”

“Home?  That place is my father’s! You are such an intruder! I should start collecting money from you every time you come there!”

“No, you won’t. I know how much you love me!” He showed me what he meant to be puppy eyes but he looked more like he had something in his eyes!

Someone gasped so hard and we turned our heads to the sound. And there he was, Mr.Park Jeong Su, the director of the hospital aka our boss!

“I need to remind you that we’re at work, Gentlemen!”

“No, Sir, we are not like what you think!” Han Bin tried to explain desperately. Aha!

“How could you, Kim Han Bin? I didn’t mean anything to you after all this time?” I made my voice sounded so heartbroken. I covered my face with both hands to stop the laughter slip away but unfortunately for Han Bin that the director thought he was actually a jerk.

“Please don’t cry, dr.Park. I’m sure you’ll solve this. Now, go to your room and take some time to clear your mind. And you, dr.Kim! I don’t know what you’ve done to him but I’m sure you will regret that one day!” He walked away right after that.

When I thought that he could not hear us anymore, I turned to Han Bin who at that moment looked like he would eat me alive.

“I. regret. that. i. ever. consider. you. . as. my. friend!” He smacked my shoulder as he spilled the word one by one. This time it was my turn to say, “No, you won’t. I know how much you love me!”

 

 

I thought about dr.Byun’s words once more as I lay on my bed that night. Han Bin already asleep in the next room. I could hear him snoring. I finally able to share what had been bothering me to Han Bin when he had dinner.

He said, “Go for it! I can see that you actually really want to do it but you need other people to say that you make the right decision.”

“Thanks, Bro. It means a lot to me!”

“If you’re not here, I will be free to take So Hyun here anytime. This place is only ten minutes away from work. Her place or mine is too far!” I was sure that he knew how strong his friend was after I smacked his head with my fist!

I checked on my phone. It was 1 am. I decided to send my father an email.

 

I checked my email during lunch time. One new email from my father. He wrote that we should talk through Skype after I finished working. I told him that I would texted him when I finished working. I hit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter