Second Life - Love Will Keep Us Alive

Three Lives, One Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi Guys! Really sorry it took so long to update. I got a complete package of cold and juicy nose (yuck!) for a few days. And my head felt like just got hit by a truck! It’s slowly getting better though! So, here’s a long update. I hope you’ll like it ^^

©©©

 

“Im Yoona already passed away? What happened to her?”

“My mother passed away after she gave birth to me, Doctor. Apparently the clinic did not have sufficient equipment then. They could not help her.”

Baekhyun and I were staring at each other like it was our first meeting. Those expressive eyes covered with sadness.

“I’m sorry, Chanyeol. I did not know,” he directed that to me.

“That’s okay. I did not know how to contact you either.” After a while I asked him, “Why are you here, Baek?”

“You still remember the name, Chan Chan.”

“I do but that wasn’t the question. Why are you here, Baek? Why are you coming back here?” I did not mean to be rude but somehow I could not help it. This guy… This guy… This guy haunted my mind for years without even trying to let me know anything about him. Not even once.

I thought I might be crying or bring my body closer to him to hug him if I ever got the chance to meet him again. But no. Right now I only felt anger covering my whole body and mind. Right now I wanted to leave him and came back after 30 something years to see how he would feel about it. I wanted him to be in my shoes.

“This hospital invited me for the conference. I came back for that.”

“Only that?”

“Yes. I’ll be coming back to where I live on Saturday.”

“Where? Come back where?”

“Brisbane.”

“So, that’s where you’ve been hiding!”

For a moment I did not remember that my son stood between us. I forgot that we both owed him apologies and explanations until he touched my arm and warmly said, “I’ll be home tonight. We’ll catch up later, Dad. I’m sorry I can’t drive you home now. dr.Byun and I still have some things to discuss for tomorrow. Go home and take a rest, Daddy.”

He always knew how to win my heart. This boy, who never once asked me why I stayed single after his mother passed away, always knew how to calm me down.

“Okay, Son. I’ll see you later.” I gave him a warm smile, pecked his cheek, turned my back and walked away without even once put a glance on the doctor behind him.

-------------------------------------------------

June, 1976

I finally admitted that I missed Baekhyun. We rarely talked to each other at school while I still sat next to him. He stopped coming to my house every Sunday at 11 to visit the jjampong place with me so I stopped coming there as well. He used his work as an excuse to turn Yoona and I down whenever we asked him to study together or just hang out.

He did not ask for my answer too. Like the other day when there were only the two of us in the class room. Everyone else went outside to grab something to eat. I asked him why he did not have lunch and he answered simply, “Not hungry.”

“Do you like working at your uncle’s clinic?”

“Yes.”

“What kind of doctor do you want to be, Baekhyun?”

“An internist.”

“Why?”

“I like it. But, I’m also thinking to study more about pathology.”

“Also because you just feel like it?”

“My uncle has a lot of books about clinical pathology. I’m reading some of them and find them interesting.”

God, I did not know he was very smart! Using a lot of words that I did not understand but I was too proud of myself to admit that I did not understand. So, I just went, “Oh!”

It was five minutes before the next class began that I asked him, “Can I go to the clinic this evening?”

“Why? You’re not feeling well?” Same as before, he answered my questions without even looked at me. He was focusing on a certain page of the book on his table. I bet it was his uncle’s book about one medical term thing that he mentioned.

“I’m fine. I just thought that maybe you want to hang out with me after that.”

His lips did not move. He did not say anything. So, “Did I do something wrong, Baekhyun?”

He caught the uncertainty in my voice. Enough to make him turned his head to my direction.

“What do you mean?”

“I can’t remember the last time we hung out. You and I. I know that you are avoiding Yoona.” He stopped what he wanted to say when he saw my hand made a sign for him to stop.

“You can say a million times that it is not true but I know it is. I really don’t understand that part. What is it exactly that makes you dislike her? Are you still have not forgiven her for what happened before?”

“No.”

“You are really not going to explain anything, aren’t you? Fine!” That was all I said out of frustration. That jerk!

 

I still missed him! I hated myself. After our conversation today, I was positive that I was going to hate him. No. Not even a tiny bit! My brain and feelings seemed to have betrayed me!

I got up and decided to visit the clinic and demanded an honest answer why he ignored me. When I arrived, it was quite busy. I looked around and failed to eye my target so I just sat in one empty seat. I overheard someone behind me telling another person, “dr.Byun’s nephew is very talented. I thought he was not interested in studying but look at him now! He cleans wounds almost as good as his uncle. He would make a great doctor.”

I smiled to hear that and somehow I envied him. He already knew what he wanted to be when I still confused of what I would do in the future. I was busy with my mind and did not notice that my target already passed me a few times. When I saw his back, he was about to enter his uncle’s room. I wanted to call him but then canceled when I realized that this room was getting more crowded. Both dr.Byun and Baekhyun must be very busy that night so I decided to wait until they finished working.

Around 8 p.m. – the time they normally closed the clinic – I saw Baekhyun left the doctor’s room. I saw the face that I missed. He looked at me and gave me smile as always. But, that was all I got that day.

-------------------------------------------------

2016

I was surprised at myself that I was able to find my way home. I arrived safe and sound. When I walked home, my mind went blank. I could not think of anything. I guessed that I was just not ready to meet Baekhyun. I heard a beep and took my phone out of my pocket. A text from my son.

Did you arrive safely, Dad? I’ll be home in an hour. Let’s have dinner together.

I quickly texted back.

Just got home safely about a minute ago. I’ll see you in an hour then. Look forward to having dinner with you.

I decided to prepare something simple and tasty for dinner. After everything done, I looked at the people and laughed at myself because I just prepared food that was enough to feed everyone at my son’s work place. “Well, Chanyeol can bring some to the hospital tomorrow!”

The memory of meeting Baekhyun came back so I decided to take a hot shower to release my stress. I left my room at the same time my son opened the front door.

“I’m home, Dad!” I smiled at him but then it faded when I saw the guy behind him. Baekhyun!

------------------------------------------------------

1976

I came back to the clinic the following week because I wasn’t feeling well. My stomach hurt and I felt dizzy sometimes. dr.Byun asked Baekhyun to check on me.

“I hope you don’t mind that I ask him to do it, Chanyeol. I swear that he knows what he’s doing. You don’t have to worry!”

“No problem, Sir.”

Baekhyun put the stethoscope on and asked, “Ready?”

I only nodded my head. He then put it on my chest, on top of my heart. He found nothing was wrong so he lifted my shirt a little bit to start checking on my stomach. By the time he touched me, immediately I felt like a movie was playing in front of us! I saw both Baekhyun and I got beaten up by two different men. I wanted to stop the one who at that moment was kicking Baekhyun’s stomach thus making him unconscious. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter