A SIMPLE LIFE

"Low-key" Crushing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Can you smile for us, pretty princess?”

 

I gave them a flat look while I absently dialed my best friend. There weren’t a lot of them today but it still doesn’t change the fact that they were still people of their kind outside our house. To think that I would have a day where I can just go outside and get our newspaper in peace. I bet that even if I completely changed my face, they would still recognize me.

 

“Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency, how may I be of assistance—”

 

“You’re not Jiwoon.” I observed, cutting him off.

 

There was a long pause before he spoke again. “Who is this?”

 

I ticked my tongue, annoyed, and waved a dismissive hand as if the man could see me. “Whatever. I need the police.”

 

The man chuckled. “Is your mom or dad there, sweetie?”

 

“Look, guy. You’re probably new there aren’t you?” I sighed. “Tell your Seonwoong ahjussi to send his usual to the Kwon’s house. Tell him that Cheol-su called.”

 

The guy on the other line sighed as well, making me raise a brow. The paparazzi people however raved over the raised brow so I had to put it down before they could make a bigger deal out of it. “I need to speak with your parents, little girl. Calling the police isn’t a joke. We take cases very seriously—”

 

“I can’t speak with you.” I said irritably. “Can you hand the phone to someone else, please?”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“Time is running out, not-Jiwoon. If you keep this up, my life’s going to be in danger.” I said flatly. Almost immediately, I heard rustling and panic from the other line. He really must be new there.

 

“Wide smile, princess!” a reporter ahjussi shouted while pointing his camera at me.

 

I continued to give them a blank look. Wide smile? What am I, a clown? I merely scoffed.

 

“Hello?” Said a new but more familiar voice, “Who is this—”

 

“Danbi unnie, it’s Cheol-su.” I interrupted. “They’re here again…”

 

“Aisht, when will they ever learn?” she hissed. “Don’t worry, we’ll get there in a flash. Just stay put at home, alright?”

 

I just nodded and hung up. I walked a few steps to get to our newspaper and faced them again, only to be answered by more flashing cameras.

 

“You better run.” I told them. They all gave me confused looks but then that quickly turned into fright when they heard the beautiful sound of police sirens. Finally, I smiled at them and even waved. “Say hi to my best friends for me.” Was the last thing I said before I shut the front door behind me with another sigh.

 

I stopped on my tracks when I saw Daehyun—the second youngest—running while omma ran after him while carrying his outfit. I watched them both from the same spot when omma suddenly tripped. I was expecting her to get up but she didn’t. She just stayed face-down on the ground.

 

I looked around the place to see if appa was there but he wasn’t. I did hear his voice somewhere in the house, and judging from his chirpy baby squeal, he was most likely with our youngest. The kid who came after me was in her own world on the couch, taking a nap as if she ruled the place.

 

I stared back at omma who was still very much in the same positon but now, Daehyun was on her back and patting her head.

 

Omma and appa said that they’ll only have me. Three pregnancies later and here we are in chaos. They always made me stay with Bom imo when they’re planning for a baby. I tolerated it for one other kid but two more? I sighed. Now that I’m 9, I’m basically an adult. I can make my own decisions now and they can’t make me go back to Bom imo anymore. No. One kid was enough but sadly, they haven’t gotten the message.

 

“Are you alright, omma?”

 

She remained still.

 

“Why iz obba not mwooving?”

 

“Omma,” I corrected him. “Omma’s not moving because she’s dead.” I poked her and she didn’t move. I locked eyes with Daehyun and repeated the act.

 

The next thing I knew, he was crying and grabbing omma by the hair. “I dwon’t wanna you to dieeeeeeeee!!!!”

 

“Who’s dying?” A deep voice suddenly entered and we both looked back to see appa holding Youngjae in his arms.

 

“Omma is.” I replied.

 

“OBBAAAAAAA” Daehyun bawled. “Somwone save her!!!”

 

Appa walked up to the scene and regarded omma with a curious look. I watched as he slid his foot inside her blouse as nonchalant as he could be and wiggled his toes. Omma suddenly started giggling and she quickly turned around and caught Daehyun in an embrace before glaring at appa. I felt a nudge in my arm and saw appa smirking at me.

 

“Your mother is ticklish in her lower back.”

 

“Jiyong-ah~” she whined. “Daeshyun-ah, appa is making fun of omma. Protect me!” <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter