Bitter Goodbye

The Unfinished Tale (to be edited)

We had the right love..at the wrong time.....


"Hae Soo and I once decided to get married." 8th Prince Wang Wook revealed, causing So to freeze in shock. He glared at Wook. "That is not true." he gritted out with anger. But the 8th Prince was not in the slightest, afraid. "You can confirm it with Soo. But we once loved and cared for each other. She....was mine before she became yours." he calmly said.

No, it cannot be. Soo would not- but no matter how he tried to deny it, Wook's words were the truth. Why Soo felt heartbroken when Wook turned his back on her, her worry over the princes or maybe just for Wook. Why she took so long to reciprocate his love. Did..she ever love me? Doubt filled his mind. "Get out. And don't you ever show your face to me again."


When she saw So, she knew that he already knew about her past relationship. "Did you, ever want to tell me about you and Wook?" the anguish written clearly on his face broke her heart that she wanted to speak. Before she could do so, he continued. "Did you ever, even fully love me? Or was it always Wook this entire time whom you loved?" If ever possible, his words broke her heart.

So looked at Soo. When she did not answer and simplt bowed her head, he scoffed. His heart felt trampled again and again. "Senior Court Lady Hae Soo, you are hereby released from your duties as Head Lady of Damiwon. You...are free to leave the palace. And I..would never see you again." he ordered, his voice cold and dangerous.

"Pyeha-" Soo started and moved to comfort him but the king took his hand away, turned around and strode away from her.

Soo fell to the floor, and sobbed uncontrollaby as heart broke to pieces.


The next morning, Court Lady Hae Soo, no longer dressed in Damiwon head court lady garments walked slowly as all the ladies in Damiwon all lined up to see their head lady go away. All of them felt that the King's dismissal was unfair, as Lady Hae Soo was a good head lady. But no one can disobey the king. And news had spread that the lady was suffering from a heart illness. So maybe the order was a little bit fair.

Soo looked at them and smiled. Chae Ryung approached her, tears in her eyes. "My lady, take me with you. Please don't leave me here alone, eh?" she said. Soo only chuckled lowly."No.You are a Damiwon lady. You must serve the king and the royal family. So, please stay here. And keep an eye on the king for me, okay?"

The young girl protested, but went silent when she wraped her arms around her. Soo looked back, memorizing all tge details of Damiwon. 

When she reached the gates, Baek Ah and Woo Hee was there waiting for her. "Soo, do you really have to do this?" Baek Ah asked her.

"I must do this. For this child. I must throw him away. And only then, will it be safe." she whispered. Woo Hee smiled sadly. "If you need anything just tell us We wil gladly help you. Here," she said, handing Soo a letter with the Later Baekje royal seal. Soo looked up, surprised. "We arranged for you to go to Jung. But if you ever encounter a citizen of Later Baekje, show this to them. And they will do their best to protect you and your child." Gratitude filled Soo's heart as she looked at the 13th Prince and Woo Hee. Clasping ber hands, Soo smiled. " How can I ever repay you for this?" she asked. Her friend looked at her. "Just live.And be at peace.That is what I ask of you." "Still, if ever you need help, Woo Hee and Baek Ah, just inform me. And I will do everything to help you."

Baek Ah smiled, but it wavered as he looked over her shoulder. Soo turned around to see Wook, looking at her with the same eyes as he once looked at her before. But with the regret and sadness he experienced over the years.

"What are you doing here?" Baek Ah demanded, looking at his haf-brother with accusing eyes.

"Baek Ah, can you ket us talk in private?" he looked at her and slowly nodded after a moment. 

Soo turned to Wook as he went up the stairs to face her. She smiled. "Thank you. For doing that." she said. Wook studied her. "Did you really think that I did it for you?" he asked.She sighed and her eyes had a faraway look. "I would like to think that you did it to release me. From this gilded cage they call the palace."

Wook realized as he looked at her, this would be the last time he would see her again. He suddenly hugged her, surprising her with his abruptness."Take care of yourself, Hae Soo. And..thank you..for everything."

.

.

As Soo prepared herself, she once again looked back. At the direction of  Cheondokjeon. At the place where shw knew her So was. 

I am sorry....


 

A lone tear fell from his eye. His hand trembled as he read the contents of the letter. The letter his Soo left him before leaving.


If I had not met him, I would not yearn for him. If I did not know him, I would not think of him so much. If we had not been together, I would not have to dissapear. If I did not treasure him so much, I would not have so many memories. If I did not love him, we would not need to throw each other away. If we had not crossed paths, we would never have been together.

Perhaps, If I had not met you at all......