To Reveal, or to not Reveal

The Unfinished Tale (to be edited)

When Soo saw him, she knew. She knew he had figured it all out. Fear crept into her body, freezing her for just one moment. What will he do now? she thought. 19 years of trying her best to hide her children and all it took was one glance to know the truth. If So only needed to look at them, what if the Queen were to know the truth?

At that thought, she looked at the queen, who, in turn glared at her with contempt just like all those years ago. Soo looked for evidences that would let her knoww of any suspicions the queen had, but so far, nothing.

Years training herself and learning more had taught her how to act in the power play between nobles and royals. She didn't want to repeat the same mistakes, not with her children and her clan's lives at stake.

Focusing back at the present, she kept a calm and serene facade that made the queen grit her teeth in anger and many ministers who once knew her to look at her in bewilderment. To them, she was a mere lady of noble birth who hid behind the safety of her clan's power and was still, considered as the king's woman.

"Pyeha, the Hae Clan welcomes you to Pyeongjang." Elder Shik Rin said as the king approached the welcoming party. "I hope that the festivities will be exemplary, Elder." the king responded. "Our main complex is very vast. But some of the entourage will be separated and will take up temporary residence for a while in our private residence. We assure you, Pyeha. That while here you and the royal family will be given the utmost care." 

"And I, will look forward for that." So nodded.

A steward stepped forward and led the king and the royal family to their quarters, but not before the king stole a long glance at Soo, who still kept up her facade.

When the king and his royal party disappeared, Lee Hwon approached his mother who had become pale at seeing her son's expression. Lee Hwon and Kang Chul both bowed at their mother, with Seol bowing at them. "Eommeoni, we need to speak with you." he said, his normally impassive face scrunched up in confusion. Soo held up a hand and approached her eldest son. But as she approached, her vision swam and her knees bucked forward. Seol quickly steadied her mother. "Eommeoni!" she cried out. " Later..We will talk abou it later, Lee Hwon-ah." the pale lady shakily whispered. Momentarily forgetting about the king, he nodded at his mother with concern burning in his eyes. "I will call your personal physician, Eommeoni."he said and them proceeded to call the physician.

Kang Chul and Seol led their mother to her room, helping her to walk as properly and carefully as they could with her shaking legs.


As night fell, the door to Lady Hae Soo's room opened. The lady looked up to see Lee Hwon, Kang Chul and Seol.

The three bowed to her.

"Eommeoni, we are here to discuss about what we discovered." Kang Chul spoke up, all traces of mischief gone from his face and replaced with a serious look. Their mother only sighed and laid down her brush. 

"What do you want to talk about?" she asked them. Lee Hwon disregarded Seol's questioning look. "Tell us why we look a lot like the king, Eommeoni. How? As far as I know, we have distant relations to the king, and it does not give enough evidence to convince us that it is just a mere coincidence." he started.

"I have an idea, Eommeoni. And I am sure that it is the right one." Kang Chul spoke up.

Soo motioned for Kang Chul to continue, despite her growing feel of dread that she felt more clearly.

And Kang Chul immeditaely stated his idea. "The king, is our father, isn't he?"

She felt her heart stop.


The king paced his room, with Baek Ah and Jimong watching him closely.

"Th-They are my chidren. Lee Hwon, Kang Chul and that girl. By Soo." he shakily said. Baek Ah's eyes widened and he wringled his hands together, feeling shocked that his brother now knew about his children. So noticed his brother's expression and rounded up on him.  

" You knew." he coldly said,his eyes accusing his younger brother. The 13th Prince only sighed and nodded. "I knew about her pregnancy even before she left the palace." he revealed. The king stumbled in shock at the revelation.

She never told me...........


"Why didn't you tell us, Eommeoni? Why?" Seol questioned her mother in shock, not entirely believing that the king was her biological father. " I had to protect you. It was the only way. If the Queen ever found out about all of you she would have you all killed. Especially you, Lee Hwon." He didn't need to know the reason. Lee Hwon, and his siblings, were by natural order the firstborn children of the king. And the rightful heir to the throne of Goryeo was Lee Hwon. They were born first before the current Crown Prince, Wang Ju. And with his mother being Queen Daemok, who was known for wanting her son on the throne and ensuring she had a grip on the throne. A fool would have guessed rigt away what would happen to them. Death.

Lee Hwon who was silent all this time finally spoke up. "No one must know. Especially Queen Daemok. Eommeoni, does the king know?" he asked. And his mother nodded sadly. "I think he knows. He is a very intelligent man, after all. He knew the moment he arrived here and saw all of you."

Kang Chul looked at his older brother. "I guess we have work to do, Hyungnim?" he asked. His brother only smirked. "No. We do what we do every day. No one would suspect us. But, avoid the Queen and her children. Imcluding the Hwangbo Clan and all other ministers whose loyalty to the king is in question. And also the servants of those mentioned." 

It went on into the night. The family carefully mapping out how to keep their secret and protect each other.