A Game Well Played

The Unfinished Tale (to be edited)

Congratulations to Lee Joon Gi and IU for winning Best Couple Award and also to Kang Ha Neul and Seohyun! So proud and happy for all of you.

Oh, and here is the new chapter. Enjoy!


The next morning, the key members of the Hae Clan was invited to a morning meal with the royal family, including Dowager Queen Sinjeong and some ministers from the Hwangbo Clan who came with the royal party, As they dined, Queen Daemok looked at Lee Hwon and smiled politely.Though her eyes glinted with hatred. "Lee Hwon, as the heir to the Hae Clan, aren't you obliged to marry at this age? If so, the Hwangbo Clan has many daughters. There was once an alliance between the clans, we should solidify it once again." she said. Minister Hae and Soo including 13th Prince Baek Ah and Woo Hee froze for a moment. The king glared inconspiciously at the queen. Lee Hwon only smiled calmly, his eyes and face in a unreadable expression. Though inside, he was seething. He answered the queen in his usual bored tone that hid his emotions. "It is true that I am unmarried. Though I am already engaged, to a daughter of the Kim Clan." the Hwangbo ministers' eyes widened and Dowager Queen Sinjeong looked insulted. "It has been agreed since Lee Hwon was at the age of twelve, and he has already built an understanding with his betrothed. So we have to decline." In Pyo interjected before the shocked ministers could say anything. "Perhaps, we can reach an agreement between the clans?" one of the five ministers said, greed clear in his eyes. Kang Chul looked amused though he covered it by drinking his tea, Seol had a dangerous glint in his eyes that made some of the ministers uneasy.

Lee Hwon however, only smirked, his eyes suddenly cold as he looked at the ministers. "It would not do good for a man to back on his word. What is the worth of his promise, if he cannot even keep it?" he asked, enjoying the disgruntled looks on Queen Sinjeong and Queen Daemok.

Soo broke the silence as she motioned for the maids to start taking the empty dishes off the long table. She bowed to the king, whose lips twitched into a small smile. "Pyeha, today is the 1st day of the festivities and one of the first events is special and will be held at one of the main squares here. Queen Sinjeong raised an eyebrow. "And what is that?" she asked. Seol smiled as she caught the eye of Kang Chul who smirked mischievously.

"A game to be played between two teams?" Kang Chul answered.


Crown Prince Ju sat in amazement as he observed the two teams below the balcony and the stands. Kang Chul, who was garbed in simple blue training hanbok was clearly the leader of the second team while Lee Hwon was garbed in the same hanbok only in red and with his own team.

He looked to his right and saw Hae Seol, who sat with together with her clan in their own balcony surrounding the arena. The place was filled with many flags, chief among those was the Hae Clan's flag and the royal family's own flag. "What kind of game is this?" his mother asked as she watched the two teams with barely disguised dilsike. His father the king flashed her with a cold look that looked eerily like the one Lee Hwon gave the ministers. "A special game that is only held here, Wang Hoo." his father replied. Beside him, his sister looked excited. "I've heard of this game, Eommeoni. It's where two teams will fight over a small ball and whoever manages to shoot it into the opponent's ring and scores the most is the winner." she said.

As the people started to cheer, Ju focused on the game, though he had a hard time as it went fast. The people seemed to only enjoy it more, cheering the two teams on. Ji Mong smiled as he observed the game."A good game to play, and well played here in Pyeongjang. The north is known for its fast runners, famous of them is the Silent Feet." he said. He turned towards the game and focused on Kang Chul, who looked like he enjoyed the game. "Silent Feet is better known as Kang Chul."

In a few moments, the second team scored the most and won. The people cheered, and everyone in the royal family looked shocked as Lee Hwon only laughed and hugged his brother who smirked and said something that only served to make the older brother to laugh harder. Ju heard a loud cheer and he turned right to see Lady Seol, who smiled brightly and clapped enthusiastically. And once again, he admired the young lady, not noticing the worried and enraged look of his mother.

Beside the king who laughed and clapped at the winners, Ji Mong only observed the brothers below him. They need to proceed more with caution if they want to survive, he thought as he glanced at the Hwangbo Clan and at the Queen Daemok. And he felt dread.


Soo smiled as she listened to Kang Chul, who looked excited as he retold his view on the game that happened. But as she sipped her tea, she felt a painful stab in her chest. She gasped, releasing the cup of tean that shattered to the floor. "Eommeoni!" Lee Hwon cried out as he shot up from his seat and quickly held his mother as she gripped her chest in pain. "I- I am alright, Lee Hwon-ah. I..I only need rest." she whispered weakly, holding her son's arm loosely. Kang Chul gently took his mother's other arm as they led their mother to her bed, Seol helping them and arranging the bed for Soo to rest comfortably.

As Soo laid on her bed, Lee Hwon sighed. "Eommeoni, have you continued taking the tonic for your heart?" he asked her. His mother nodded and patted his arm to calm him.

"Still," Kang Chul said. "we have to call the physician. But in secret." Seol nodded in approval. "We cannot have anyone know of mother's condition as of right now. They might use it against us." she whispered lowly.

As the physician went inside, followed by Lady Hwa Rin, the siblings sighed in relief. The physician approached their mother's bed and inspected her condition. After a few moments, he laid down her pulse and looked at Lady Hwa Rin in alarm.The siblings, noticing the look, approached the physician. "What is wrong with our mother?!" Lee Hwon demanded. The physician bowed to them. "My Lord, I am perplexed with the Lady Soo's condition myself.But, it seems.." the physician hesitated to continue, uncertainty clear on his face. "Doctor." Seol said, shooting a concerned look towards her mother. 

"It seems,that Lady Soo's heart sickness has resurfaced.Though,with the utmost care and daily taking of her tonics,the lady's condition will get better." the physician revealed.

The siblings froze, shock clear on their faces. Lady Soo only shook her head and dismissed the doctor. The doctor bowed and proceeded to leave. But before the man could leave, the door opened to reveal the shocked and devastated face of the king.