Reunion of Two Lovers

The Unfinished Tale (to be edited)

The next morning, in the main Hae Clan complex, servants ran here and there, busy tending to the needs of the royal party. The first daughter of the Hae Clan, Hae Seol, walked with grace as she did her usual practice of balancing two bowls on her shoulders. After ten rounds, Lady Hwa Rin motioned to the servants to take away the bowls on the young lady's shoulders. Seol sighed in relief. The older woman only smiled at her. "Aghassi?" "Why do I have to still do those things? I've been doing that since I was a little girl." she petulantly said. "Aghassi, it was your grandfather's orders that you can only practice your swordmanship if you continue balancing bowls." The young girl only sighed. "I knew it. Well, if Grandfather insists and I can still practice with Hwon Orabeoni and Chul Orabeoni then, its worth it!" she said.

Many did not notice a regal figure dressed in royal hanbok staring at the young lady in awe. Crown Prince Ju stared at Hae Seol. She, looks so beautiful he thought. "Crown Prince, your mother is waiting for you." his attendant said. The prince only craned his head and sighed. Stealing a glance at the lady, he quickly walked away before anyone could notice his presence.


Lady Soo walked calmly as she did her morning rounds, checking on the progress of servants and inspecting the foods to be served to the royal family. A servant approached her. "My lady, your father wants to see you. He says it is urgent." she softly whispered, her voice low enough for the lady to hear. Soo nodded and turned to Lady Hwa Rin. "Can you take care of the mirning round without me?" she asked. "Do not worry, my lady. I will take care of it." she replied. "You have my thanks."

"Abeoji." Soo greeted as soon as she entered the meeting room. Minister In Pyo smiled at her. "How are you and the children, my daughter?" he fondly asked. "They are fine, Abeoji. Lee Hwon is doing well in handling economic and the political situations here in Pyeongjang. His swordmanship and litearary skills is exemplary as usual. Kang Chul, excels in  leading the private guard and the army. His swordmanship and literary skills too. Although, he hates doing paperwork and he always frequents the village too much. Seol-ah, she excels in everything, including swordmanship. But she doesn't show much interest in the boys the elders of other clans introduced to her. Which, I am glad in a small way." the old minister chuckled at that. "As expected of the children." The minister suddenly turned serious. "This is what I an here for. With the king's unexpected arrival here in Pyeongjang, the secret we have kept may be revealed." Soo looked away. "He knows." The man paled. "Then, this complicates things. We don't know what will happen next. But one thing is sure. The king will push for Lee Hwon to take his rightful place as the crown prince. And the Hwangbo Clan will not stand for it. Especially Queen Daemok. The court will be plunged into chaos and we do not know who will survive." Soo's hands shook. Her adopted father lookd at her. "And also, if the truth will be revealed to everyone, the Hae Clan will push for you to become Queen." "Despite my condition?"she asked. "You managed to survive a difficult pregnancy and childbirth. The elders are confident that you will live more." Soo denied it. "I only want to protect my children." 

"Then, make sure no one can hurt them. We never know. Maybe revealing the truth may just be the only way to protect them."


Soo piled another stone as she prayed at her personal prayer stones. She sighed as she turned around and saw the King. Her So. She felt tears prick at her eyes.

"Soo-yah." he murmered as he quickly approached and embraced her tightly, placing his head on her shoulder as Soo finally let out her tears. They continued to hug each other as they let out their pent-up emotions. Soo broke away fron the embrace. So looked at her and remembered about them Their children.

Soo hesitated to look at him and tried to distance herself from him. "Why?" he asked, hurt and angry clear in his voice. "I had to. For them. The palace would never allow any peace to last. The Queen will never allow me to live once she knew about my pregnancy. And, they could never live freely inside the palace. It, it will swallow them. I know that to be true. Also-"  "They were also my children!" he roared angrily, his hands curling into fists as he tried to control his anger. At seeing Soo's shocked expression, his face softened. "I am their father. Can't I even have the right to know about them?" he asked.

Soo shook her head as she finally looked at the king in the eye. "I wanted to tell you. But, their safety is more important to me. In order to protect them, I had to leave. Leave the palace. Leave you." 

His eyes softened at the revelation. "I understand. Completely. I am sorry." he whispered, tears falling as he felt heartbroken. For years,he had wondered and asked himself what went wrong. Did she ever love him? Was she ever truthful to him? 

But he realized, as he looked into Soo's soulful eyes, she loved him. She loved him enough to understand his position. His duty. But she also had to throw him away. For their children. For them to live freely and safe away from the palace.

By the prayer stones, they kissed. Letting each other know about their feelings, their longing for each other.

And it felt perfect.


Jimong watched from the distance as he witnessed the reunion of two lovers. The king he had served, and the lady who loved him. 

What they didn't know, was that after their children's birth, Lady Soo's fate changed. The tables have turned, and the fate of Goryeo now rests on their hands.