Chapter 10

Thank you, Santa! (A Yunho Christmas Story)

 

 

"Appa, don't forget to send these, okay?"  She reminded and he nodded.

"Yes, baby.  In fact, I'll go get an envelope now."  He said and did so, with Jiyool happily trailing behind him.

 

That night, after Yunho put Jiyool to sleep, he went out of the bedroom and immediately called Jaejoong.

Jaejoong:  Neh, yeoboseyo?

Yunho:  Hyung, who is Song Chel?  Jiyool wrote to Santa saying she wants one of her books.  

J:  Song Chel... *smiles and pretends to think*  Ah!  Yeah, she's that VERY PRETTY author for children's books.  Hmm, I know something that can help you and make Jiyool really happy..

Y: Really?  What is it?  What is it?

J:  I've come to know that Song Chel-ssi will have a book signing tomorrow.

Y:  Oh really?  Where?  Where?

J:  At the National Bookshop, tomorrow at 2PM.

Y:  Really?  Wow, she must be a famous author then if she can have her signings there.

J:  Yeah, well, she's a new author but may kids are already hooked on it.

Y:  Really?  Then I should be early tomorrow.  I bet many parents will buy her books.

J:  You're right.  Then just drop off Jiyool here tomorrow before lunch.

Y:  Oh, thanks hyung.  And by the way, I  thought I asked you to call me once you know what she wanted?

J:  Well, err, she only learned it before she went home.

Y:  Oh, okay.  Well, thanks so much for taking care of her!  And thanks for the info!  See you again tomorrow, good night!

J:  No problem.  Good night!

 

The next day, to Jiyool's surprise, Yunho dropped off Jiyool at Jaejoong's house again.  But it didn't bother her because at their house, she knew she'll never go hungry.  After making sure that Jiyool's settled, Yunho headed to the National Bookshop.

When he arrived, he noticed the entranced was flanked with Song Chel's tarpauline that shows her books.  Streamers and signs led the buyers where the book signing was.  Yunho was impressed.  This Song Chel-ssi must be a big hit for the National Bookshop to give her such importance.  Even Christmas decors were put aside just for this event.

Finally noticing the increasing number of parents and kids, Yunho immediately went to the booksigning area.  He then browsed Song Chel's books.  He smiled, remembering that his little Jiyool only wanted one.  Rewarding her for her 'niceness', he bought each of all Song Chel's books.  That meant six new books for Jiyool.  No, he wasn't spoiling Jiyool.  He felt Jiyool deserved it.

After paying for the books, he hurriedly lined up for the signing.  Even though it was only 1:05 PM, there was already quite a number of people already lined up. He felt thankful to Jaejoong, who offered to take care of Jiyool as early as 11 AM so that he could buy and line up early.  And he was so glad he did go early.  Only 10 minutes had passed and the line had already doubled.  

Ignoring his grumbling tummy (Jaejoong persuaded him to eat lunch before going...but he ate little so he could go to National Bookstore ASAP) and aching feet (he had been standing in line for almost 1 hour), he patiently waited until he heard the host announcing that the event would start in five minutes.  He grinned.  He couldn't wait to go home and wrap the books and give it to Jiyool on Christmas day.

A sound of excitement grew and a few minutes more, the new but famous author appeared.  Kids cheered and parents clapped.  He suddenly felt out of place.  It seemed like everybody knew her.  He had been so busy with work and taking care of Jiyool that he wasn't even updated anymore.  Well, except for the country's economy and stock market.

Their was a brief mini press conference where anybody, even kids, could ask her questions.  Without Jiyool beside him, he couldn't do much but to observe the author.  Instantly, he felt that the author was having fun talking with kids.  He felt she loved kids....the way she looks at them, nods and smiles at them and would sometimes laugh wholeheartedly, too, after hearing a kid's ridiculous question.  He felt that she was sincere.  He also laughed out loud at her answers.  

Maybe that's the reason why a lot of people like her.

It was only now that he sort of noticed she was....good to look at.  Okay, pretty.  He admitted.  He instantly felt guilty as he remembered his wife.  He shook his head and looked away.  But his eyes found her again.  And he stared closely.  There was something familiar about her but he didn't remember why.  

Maybe I saw her ad or something.

At last, the press conference ended and it was time for the book signing proper.  Those who would have their books signed also had the chance to have their pictures taken with Song Chel.  Yunho was debating whether or not he would take a picture of Song Chel with his phone.  But Jiyool might see it and knowing his daughter, she would ask questions.  He didn't want Jiyool to figure out who Santa actually was.

Meanwhile...

Song Chel was having fun answering everybody's questions when she heard this distinct laugh that rose above everybody else's.  Her eyes searched among the crowd and her eyes landed on this tall man that was in line.  She took a surprised "Oh!" as she recognized who it was.  Jiyool's appa... She recognized.  She gave him a smile but he looked away.

After the mini presscon, the signing immediately started.  There were probably more than 20 people before finally it was Yunho's turn.

"Oh, hello!"  Chel happily greeted him.  She didn't know though if he could remember her as the woman who brought Jiyool when she was lost.  

"Hello!"  He responded.  Okay, clearly...he didn't remember her.  Blame Yunho and his forgetfulness.  He was though, surprised as he noticed she had given him a slightly happier greeting than what she gave the others who were before him.

"Uhm, I bought all your books for  my daughter, Jiyool.  She asked Santa to give her one of your books but I decided to just buy all.  I hope you don't mind signing all of them."  He said straightly but with a smile.

Song Chel smiled warmly after hearing him.  Everything he said gave a warm, fuzzy feeling in her heart.  She was glad she made an impression on Jiyool, enough to ask Santa for her book.  And about Yunho deciding to buy her books, she felt happy that a parent like him trusts her and her books enough to purchase everything.  And lastly, she could really feel the how much he loved Jiyool by buying her the books, even falling in line very early.

"It will be my pleasure!  Oh, thank you so much for buying the books.  I hope your daughter Jiyool will enjoy reading these."  She smiled as she started to write on the books.  She decided to just let it pass and not make Yunho recall the incident at the mall.  Besides, it was an unfortunate thing, as she remembered Jiyool's tears and Yunho's worried face.  Also, there was a long line and she didn't want to make the others wait.

"I'm sure she will, thank you."  He replied.  And he patiently waited while she wrote a message on each of the books.  He thought she was kind to do so.  After a couple of minutes, she was done and piled the books on top of each other and handed them to Yunho.

"Thank you so much again.  I really hope she'll have a good time with the books.  Merry Christmas to you and Jiyool!"  She smiled warmly again.  And he returned the smile with the same warmth for the very nice author.

"Thank you.  Merry Christmas to you, too."  He said and gave a little wave before starting to walk away.  "Oh, by the way..thank you for being very nice."  He suddenly blurted out after pausing his walk to look back at her. 

"Thank you!"  Chel chuckled and Yunho hurriedly walked away in embarrassment.

 

What a nice lady.

What a funny man.

 

At Jaejoong's house....

"Jiyool angel!"  Jaejoong called as he looked for Jiyool around the house.  "Jiyooool!  Where are you???"  A few seconds later, Jiyool appeared, running from the back door of his house.  She was holding something in her left hand.

"Yes, Uncle?  Ooh~ Uncle Jaejoong look what I caught at the backyard!!!!"  She excitedly went in front of him and Jaejoong squatted down to face her.  He looked at her closed hand.

"What is it, my angel?"  He asked and touched her left hand with his right hand.  She then slowly opened her hand and revealed a....

"EEEEK!  A SNAIL!"  Jaejoong exclaimed in surprise and in slight disgust.  He lost his balance and fell on his .  Jiyool giggled and pushed her hand with the snail closer to Jaejoong's face so that he could take a closer look.

"Isn't it cute, Uncle??"  She asked and wiggled her hand.  The snail moved a centimeter.  Jaejoong gulped and stood up.

"Jiyool, put the poor snail back to its home and never touch any snail nor insect again!  They're not to be played with.  Besides, they're dirty."  He said sternly and took Jiyool's free hand and led her outside the house.  She put the snail back where she got it from and bid goodbye.  "Bye, snaily.  I'm sorry I took you from your home."  She said solemnly and Jaejoong smiled to himself, thinking how cute his little angel was being at the moment.

They went back inside the house and he helped her clean her hands thoroughly.  

"Uncle Jaejoong."  She said after they washed hands.  Jaejoong noticed her silence and figured she was thinking.

"Yes, angel?"  He asked and peered at her.

"I wanna give Appa a Christmas gift!  But I don't know what to give..."  She replied and looked down.  "Will you please help me?"  She shyly asked.  She thought that she should be doing everything by herself.  But she didn't know how.

"Aww!  What a sweet girl!"  He praised and leaned down to kiss the top of her head.  "Sure I will help you, angel.  Now, do you want to go to the mall?  Maybe you can find something there."  He suggested.  He knew the mall was far away from the National Bookshop so the coast was clear.

"Oh, can we, Uncle?????  Can we?  Can we?????"  She eagerly asked, her eyes pleading at JAejoong but at the same time, excitement could be seen.

"Sure!  Wanna go now?"  He asked and she nodded her head at once.  "Ok then, kaja!"  

"But wait, Uncle Joong!!!  I only have a few thousand won......."  She said worrily.  "Do you think I can get something for Appa?"  She asked with her forehead creased in worry.  Oh what if she finds something only to know that she didn't bring enough money?  Jaejoong guessed what his goddaughter was thinking.  It was easy to read her.

"Ah, don't worry.  Uncle Jaejoong will give you money if you need more."  He smiled and patted her head.  

"Eh?  But Appa said I should only use my money if I want to buy something.  That's why I saved my money, Uncle."  She replied and Jaejoong felt proud of her as if she was his own daughter.

 
"Okay, then.  Well, I'm sure we'll find something.  I promise."  He said and reached for Jiyool's hand.  "Now, kaja?"  He asked again and this time, Jiyool smiled and nodded her head.  And she held on to Jaejoong's hand and headed for the door.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
[A/n]  Hello!!! :D  Im back!  WEll, actually, this chapter was already posted before but AFF had some issues and deleted the completed chapter.  So I was afraid of posting again. LOL.  Anyway, I hope you guys are still here.  Thank you for reading and subscribing! :)
 
And to people who were asking about the pic, i searched for it on google: http://images.hellokids.com ^_______^
 
PS: Sorry there aren't any individual responses to your comments.  But ive read them all and I really appreciate that you are all enjoying my fic, and hearing the weddng bells and wishing for baby Jiyool to get her wish. tEehee! :D :D