The Sound of Darkness - Chapter 5

The Sound of Darkness

Sunggyu leaned casually against his car as he stood with his hands in his pockets.  His attention was directed at the small florist shop across the road.

"Hey Boss," said Dongwoo who was standing next to him.  "Are we going to be doing this every night?"

Sunggyu didn't reply.

"You know, they have a word for what we're doing," continued Dongwoo.  "It's called stalking."

"I prefer guarding," corrected Sunggyu.

Just then the door of the the florist shop opened and Woohyun stepped out.  He looked at Sunggyu and walked over to him.

"Why are you doing this?" Woohyun asked.

Sunggyu didn't know what to say.  He didn't understand it himself why he was so concerned over someone he hardly knew.

"Boss is worried about you," replied Dongwoo trying to ease the tension.

Woohyun looked at Dongwoo then back at Sunggyu.  "Thank you for all that you've done, but I'm fine now so please leave me alone," said Woohyun and he turned to walk away.

Sunggyu was speechless as he watched him walk away.  "Dongwoo," he said as he clutched his chest.  "It hurts."


Sungyeol entered Sunggyu's room to find him lounging back with a glass of red wine in his hand.

"Should I ask?" said Sungyeol looking at Dongwoo.

"Shh, apparently he doesn't take rejection too well," whispered Dongwoo.  "Just let him be."

"If he's got time to be getting rejected then he's got time for work," said Sungyeol as he took the glass out of Sunggyu's hand and replaced it with a stack of documents.  "These need your approval."

Sunggyu glanced at the papers and frowned at them before casting them aside.  "What about the matter I asked you to take care of?"

"It seems the organisers were just a bunch of money hungry scumbags who lure their fighters with the promise of a large reward.  Most of the fighters were either in debt or just greedy.  Doesn't matter since they're all dead anyway, except for one," reported Sungyeol.

"Find out which organisation they belong to," ordered Sunggyu.

"I've tried," Sungyeol responded.  "But they wouldn't talk."

"Well, try again," said Sunggyu.

"That'll be rather difficult," admitted Sungyeol.  "They're at the bottom of the bay."


"It seems the leader of the Jin Ho Group has taken a new interest," he reported, handing over a photo.

The man smiled.  "This will be easier than I thought."


As Woohyun approached the florist shop, he heard a woman screaming.  He quickly ran over and saw a group of youths with metal poles smashing everything in sight.  A terrified Mrs Soo stood helplessly inside the store as she begged for them to stop.

"Hey!  What are you doing?" he shouted.

Woohyun ran over and pushed them out of the way trying to get to Mrs Soo.  As two youths smashed the windows of the shop, Woohyun grabbed Mrs Soo and using his body, covered her from the broken glass.

"This is a greeting for the leader of the Jin Ho Group," one of them announced.


Sunggyu was heading into a meeting at the office when his phone rang.  He stopped to answer it as Sungyeol waited beside him.

"Boss," spoke Dongwoo on the other line.  "It's Woohyun.  He's in Central Hospital.  He-"

Sunggyu did not even wait for Dongwoo to finish before he turned and ran.