The Sound of Darkness - Chapter 4

The Sound of Darkness

"I'm going to ask for the last time," Sunggyu declared.  "Who sent you?"

The man refused to speak despite being chained up to a large heavy rock.

Sunggyu's patience was running out.  "Sink him," he ordered and walked away from the pier.


In the early hours of dawn, the Butler was surprised to find the master of the house, sleeping in a chair beside the bed where Woohyun lay.  Sunggyu awoke sensing the presence of another person in the room.  He was about to reach into his jacket but he stopped when he saw who it was.

"Master Sunggyu, have you been here all night?" asked the Butler.

"Just wanted to be here in case he woke up," replied Sunggyu.

"The doctor said he'll be fine," reminded the Butler.  "You should go get some rest."

Sunggyu smiled but stayed where he was.  "Has Dongwoo left yet?"

"Yes, I made sure he would make it there by nine," replied the Butler.


Mrs Soo was startled when the front door of the shop slammed opened as a stranger barged in.

"Mrs Soo," Dongwoo greeted with a bow.  "I'm Dongwoo, Woohyun's friend.  He's sick today so I'm filling in for him."

Mrs Soo was a little shocked at the abrupt news that she didn't know what to say.  It took her a few seconds to recover herself.  "I see," she said.  "I'm glad to see he has such good friends."

Dongwoo flashed her a smile.  "What would you like me to do?"

"Well, Woohyun usualy delivers a bouquet to the cafe up the street.  One of our regular customers," she explained.

"No problem!"  exclaimed Dongwoo enthusiastically.


Sungyeol opened the door to the guest room to find Sunggyu sitting beside the unconscious Woohyun.

"I can't believe this.  You're the CEO of Kim Coroporation," stated Sungyeol.  "How could you sit here rather than attend the meeting?"

"You're my secretary.  I'm sure you handled it well," replied Sunggyu.

"Of course," announced Sungyeol proudly.  "But that's beside the point."

"Sungyeol, you're too noisy," said Sunggyu.  "Why don't you go deal with the other matter at hand."

Sungyeol rolled his eyes and sighed before walking out.


Sunggyu was starting to doze off when he heard a slight groan from Woohyun.  Woohyun slowly opened his eyes and was surprised to see Sunggyu looking at him.  He touched his head and felt the banadage around it.  His stab wound was also properly dressed.

"Doctor said there's nothing to worry about," Sunggyu assured him.

It took Woohyun a few moments for him to realise that he was in a very large bed, inside a very large room, full of very expensive looking furniture.  He quickly jolted out of bed but Sunggyu stopped him.

"What are you doing?" asked Sunggyu pushing him back on the bed.

"I can't stay here," said Woohyun.  "I also have to work-"

"Of course you can stay here.  It's my home," Sunggyu cut him off.  "And you don't have to worry about your work.  It's covered."

Woohyun looked at him quizzily. "Why?" he asked not emphasising what he was referring to.

Sunggyu smiled.  "Well, why did you cover for me?" Sunggyu asked.

Woohyun shrugged.  "A natural reaction."


Sunggyu had finally agreed to leave the room after much persuasion from Woohyun and his Butler.

"This is the first time I've seen Master Sunggyu worry about someone other than the late Master and Madam," commented the Butler as he carried the silver dinner tray over to Woohyun on the bed.  "You know, he was so worried about you he would not budge from that seat until you woke up.  He must hold you very dear."

Woohyun didn't respond.


Sunggyu knocked several times but got no answer.  When he opened the door to the guest room where Woohyun had been resting, he found it empty.  He sighed in disappointment.