The Sound of Darkness - Chapter 3

The Sound of Darkness

"Namstar!" The announcer managed to shout out the name of the second fighter as he approached the cage on centre stage.

Sunggyu sat up and watched with interest, much to Sungyeol and Dongwoo's surprise.

Woohyun entered the cage where his opponent was waiting.  Having to fight the next night was always a little strenuous since he was still recovering from last night's injuries.  No, he thought as he shook his head to clear his mind.  I have to win.

The man rushed first into the attack as Woohyun put up both arms to defend the blow.  The force was so strong it sent Woohyun several steps back.  Gasps were heard from the crowd, mostly from those who had bet their money on Woohyun.

"What's so good about this?  There are fights like this everywhere," said Sungyeol not really interested.

"It's a death match," Dongwoo explained.  "There's no rules.  They just fight until one dies.  Only one person gets to leave the cage."

Sunggyu was shocked to hear this.  "What?"

Dongwoo nodded.  "Yeah," he added.  "That guy's pretty good though.  Heard he's been winning."  He pointed to Woohyun.

Sunggyu turned his attention back to Woohyun in the cage.  He noticed Woohyun clutching his side as he winced in pain.

"Come on," Sunggyu urged as he clutched the railing of the balcony.

Sungyeol and Dongwoo noticed this and looked at each other.  "Looks like Boss is into it," whispered Dongwoo.

Woohyun was knocked to the ground with a mighty punch to his jaw.  His opponent smashed his fist down at Woohyun's head but he managed to roll out of the way.  With all his strength Woohyun got to his feet and rushed towards the man as he jumped and kicked him on the chest with both legs.  The man fell back.  Woohyun continued with his attack as he grabbed the man's head and smashed it to the floor.  The man lay still.

There was silence as Woohyun turned away from his opponent.  He had only taken several steps when he heard a commotion behind him.  He turned back and felt the knife in his stomach.  The man let go of the knife handle and stumbled back.  Woohyun gritted his teeth and with a blood curling scream, pulled the knife out and dashed over to the man and slit his throat.  The man held his neck trying to stop the blood gushing out.  Woohyun turned and walked out of the cage as the man collapsed to the floor.


Woohyun staggered out of the building, clutching his stomach which had he had poorly bandaged himself.

"Woohyun!" he turned back when he heard his name being called. 

He recognised the man as the one who had helped him with the roses the other day.  "How did you know my name?"

Sunggyu approached him and handed Woohyun his name tag.  "You dropped this the other day.  I've been meaning to give it back but you weren't there last night."

Woohyun nodded as he finally understood.  "You're the one Mrs Soo was talking about?"

"She's worried about you," informed Sunggyu.  "And you need to get that looked at."  He indicated to the knife wound which Woohyun was trying to cover up.

Woohyun looked at him about to respond when he noticed two figures behind Sunggyu.

"Watch out!" he shouted as he pulled Sunggyu aside and stepped in his place.

Sunggyu heard a thud as blood trickled down the side of Woohyun's head.  Woohyun collapsed to reveal two men standing behind him.  Sunggyu caught him with one hand and with his other, he pulled out a gun from inside his jacket and shot the man with the metal pole in his hand.

"Boss!"

"Sunggyu!"

Sunggyu turned to see Sungyeol and Dongwoo approaching.  Taking this chance to escape, the second man ran from the scene.

"I want him alive!" Sunggyu ordered as the two pursued him.

Sunggyu turned his attention back to the unconscious Woohyun in his arm.