Chapter 7

Two of Me

“So how was your first day of vacation?” Manager Song asked.

“I don’t know,” Taehyung said. He accepted the glass of water Manager Song had brought for him. After taking a sip, he sighed and placed the glass on the small table. “When I wear those plain and simple clothes and start hanging out with the university students, I feel like my aurora of being a popular idol disappears. I forget about all the flashing lights and glittering world of celebrities. I don’t feel like the Taehyung Kim on TV anymore; I feel normal, for once. It’s like casting off my extravagant feathers and flying on my own for the first time. It’s like I transform into a totally different person.”

Manager Song hid a smile, satisfied with the boy’s answer. “So you found the girl you had been looking for?”

The idol nodded. “She’s queer. She was really rude to me inside the convenience store, yet I kind of understand since I got mad at her for bumping into me and not recognizing me the time I first saw her. She claims that she really dislikes Taehyung Kim – I mean, me. But with her friends, she’s so happy and energetic. When she finally fell for my disguise, she was really nice to me.” Manager Song’s eyes widened. He had never heard Taehyung describe a person in such details. He was tempted to meet the girl himself to see exactly what kind of person the boy was so interested in.

“Are you going to the university again tomorrow? Isn't it a Saturday?”

Taehyung shook his head, a sly smile forming on his face. “I’d like her to hang out with Taehyung Kim for a day.”

**********

Eunkyung climbed up the stairs of the subway station towards the exit. A tall figure blocked her way. She stepped to the right, but the stranger did also. She stepped to the left, but he mimicked her move. She stopped and waited for the man to pass her, but he just stood two stairs above her, looming down at her. She squinted, feeling perplexed.

The person was wearing big, black sunglasses although it was the crack of dawn. He was wearing a gray hoodie which covered his hair and forehead. A smirk formed on his face, creeping Eunkyung out. Who was this guy and what did he want with her?

“If you can’t recognize me, I’m pretty sure I can fool everyone else. Though since you are someone who lives under a rock, I wouldn’t know if it’s only you who can’t figure out who I am,” he said.

 Eunkyung clenched her teeth. That voice… “Why do I always have the bad luck of running into you?”

“Hmm, I’d say.” He remembered what Iseul had said yesterday. “Maybe it’s destiny?” His mocking words made her tighten her hands into fists.

“If you don’t get out of my sight this instance, I’ll scream your name so everyone nearby can start chasing you away.”

Taehyung crossed his arms. “Whoa, calm down. I’m not going to assault you or anything. I just thought it was weird that you’re everywhere I am.”

“I think it’s just bad luck.” Eunkyung stepped to the side and this time, he let her pass. However, he trailed behind her as she started walking down the sidewalks.

“Why are you following me? Weren’t you about to enter the subway station?” Eunkyung asked through gritted teeth.

“Why are you so mad at me?” Taehyung muttered.

Eunkyung stopped abruptly. “I don’t easily forgive people. Especially rude people who are full of themselves.”

“I am not full of myself!” he exploded.

“Yes, you are! You got furious when I said that I didn’t know you! You know, I’m not the only one who doesn’t watch TV other than the news on politics and economics! And I’m not the only one who isn’t a fan of celebrity magazines and the gossip on the Internet!”

“I just thought it was weird you didn’t know me because I’m everywhere: on magazine covers, TV screens, billboard advertisements, and even on the little stickers in stationary stores!”

“Well, I’m sorry I didn’t satisfy your ego.” Eunkyung started marching away, but Taehyung quickly held her wrist.

“What now?” she snapped.

The idol opened his mouth, and then closed it. He opened it again. “Do you feel nothing at all when you look at me? Do you not think I’m handsome? Does it disgust you that much to walk around with one of the top stars in Korea?”

Eunkyung furrowed her brows. A faint red spread over her cheeks. She was tempted to slap him. How could he be so arrogant?

“Stay away from me! I don’t ever want to see you again!” she cried out before pulling her wrist free and running away.

Taehyung ran a hand through his hair, making his hood drop. He stomped a foot in frustration and looked up at the sky.