Chapter 12

Two of Me

“This is kidnapping,” Eunkyung snarled. “If I tell this to-”

“You’re not dating that guy, are you?” Taehyung interrupted, remembering Jin's arm around her shoulder.

“What?”

He briefly glanced at her astonished expression before turning his attention back to the road. “I mean the guy next to you. He’s not your boyfriend, right?” He felt his hands involuntarily tighten on the steering wheel. He'd wanted to ask that from the very beginning.

Eunkyung rolled her eyes and said nothing. She pointedly ignored him by turning her face away towards the window. The inside of the car simmered in silence the whole twenty minutes to the Big Hit Entertainment building.

After he parked into an empty space in the front, Taehyung started dragging her into the building. He ignored her protests and used purely his strength.

Within ten minutes, Eunkyung was facing a chubby man in his forties sitting behind the large desk inside an air-conditioned office. She hastily bowed to him, not knowing what else to do. "I brought her," Taehyung stated. Mr. Bang studied the girl and nodded.

“Hello. I am the CEO of Big Hit Entertainment. So you were the girl Taehyung was so eager to bring?” Mr. Bang stood and smiled benevolently at her. He extended a hand and Eunkyung nervously shook it. Why exactly did Taehyung bring her here?

“You don’t have to be shy. Sit down.” Mr. Bang motioned towards the two chairs in front of him. Taehyung, still grabbing Eunkyung’s wrist, pulled her with him to them. He sat down and Eunkyung likewise followed, not without pulling her hand from his grasp.

“So, what is your name?”

“She’s Eun-kyung Jang,” Haneul answered. "She's a university student at Sungjong."

Mr. Bang stared at him reproachfully. “I asked her, not you.” He turned back to Eunkyung with an apologetic smile. “How did you meet Taehyung?”

Eunkyung hesitated. She looked at Taehyung first, bewildered, and then turned her attention back to the kind man. “I, um, bumped into him one day. Or, more like, crashed.” She thought it would be wise to omit the part about meeting him several times and ending up arguing heatedly with him.

“Oh. So may I ask what relationship you are in with him right now? If you mind, you don’t have to tell me.”

Eunkyung realized that she was gaping, so she quickly closed . Irritation forming inside of her, she eyed Haneul sideways. So this was why the CEO had called her here? Because he was worried of a scandal?

“You don’t have to worry,” Eunkyung said, coolly. “I’m not in any relationship with him. We’re even less than acquaintances. If you ask the employees to keep a tight rein on him, we’ll have no scandal running about, I assure you, sir.”

“Ouch. That’s cold,” Taehyung muttered under his breath.

Mr. Bang smiled, amused at the situation. “Well, Taehyung here wants you to go to a formal party next week hosted by SM. It’s supposed to be a little party where CEOs and idols mingle, and Taehyung wants to take you as his partner. I have given him permission, for there are no people related to the press allowed inside the building, but if you refuse, I cannot agree with this proposal.”

Eunkyung’s eyebrows lifted. An invitation to a formal social gathering? She glanced at the idol, but he was pointedly avoiding her eyes. She turned back to Mr. Bang, trying to conceal her outrage. “I-I’m sorry, sir, but I’m just a normal university student. I can’t possibly attend a party where only famous and rich people go to, if you don’t mind me saying that. I really believe that no one from the upper classes would want to see someone like me. Of course, I’m not frightened of them, but I doubt that’s wise. Who knows, your company's stocks might fall, sir.”

Laughter rang through the room. It wasn’t snarky or superficial, just warm and pleasing to hear. “There is no such thing as a division of classes in my thinking,” Mr. Bang said. “I believe that all people are equal. Yes, I know that some people would prefer to look down at you instead of getting to know your fresh and amusing personality, but if you don’t lend an ear to them, I’m sure that you’re going to be fine. Also, I’m sure that you would be a wonderful addition to the ‘boring world of sophisticated adults,’ as I call it. With your candidness and courage to speak out your thoughts, you can prove to the so-called ‘upper class’ that 'normal people' shouldn't be looked down on." He studied Eun-kyung’s face. “I belive that you can do all that because you have determination and the will to stand strong.”

The middle-aged man continued as Eunkyung stayed silent. “I would like it if you would consider going. It doesn’t have to be for Taehyung’s sake. You seem like a bright girl and a look into this kind of society, however cruel or blinding it may seem, will be a good experience as you live. You obviously know how to say your mind to people supposedly above you – no, no, I’m not criticizing you. I admire your courage.” Also, the girl reminded Mr. Bang a little of Taehyung. 'She might be able to knock some sense into that kid,' he thought.

Eunkyung found herself looking down at the desk. The files and paperwork on top were neatly arranged, hinting that Mr. Bang was as organized as he was nice. “I’ll think about it,” she finally said.

**********

As the elevator reached the first floor with a ding, Taehyung pulled Eun-kyung out and started dragging her towards the double doors. “You should’ve just said yes,” he hissed.

“Let go. Anyways, it’s my decision.” The girl tried to pull away, but the boy’s grip only tightened on her arm.

“I said, you should just agree to go. How can it hurt? I’ll be next to you the whole time. You know, a lot of girls would kill to be in your position,” he snapped.

Eunkyung’s lips parted in outrage. What was he trying to do – force his wish onto her? Anger swarmed inside her mind.

With another fierce pull, Eunkyung managed to remove her arm from Taehyung’s grip. “Why are you always annoying me? Is it to torture me for not knowing who you were when we first met?” she cried out.

Taehyung ran a hand through his hair. Frustration was building inside of him. “What if I tell you that it’s because I like you? Maybe it’s because I want to spend more time with you!”

Eunkyung gaped at him. “That doesn’t make any sense! We’ve only seen each other like three times! How can you like me?” She turned to walk out of the building but Taehyung grabbed her shoulders.

“Does a person need a reason to like someone else? I just like you, okay?” he snapped, his face inches from hers. He was breathing heavily, unable to contain his composure.

Eunkyung stared back at him, confused. “Well, I hate you!” she shouted back, tears in her eyes. She felt like a child throwing a tantrum. She knew that “hate” was a strong word, but her temper was getting better of her. “Why in the world would I like someone as arrogant as you? I really, really don’t want to see you ever again! Do me a favor and get out of my life!”

Stung by her angry words, Taehyung’s grip loosened. Eunkyung pushed his hands away and dashed out the doors. Taehyung stood there, with an empty look in his eyes. It was the third time he was seeing her run away from him.