Chapter 16

Two of Me

Eunkyung walked out of the university campus, a smile on a face. Although V had told her yesterday that he couldn’t meet her after class that afternoon, she was in a good mood due to finishing her essay on time and feeling quite prepared for midterms, which was scheduled for next week. ‘Bring anything on – I’ll handle it,’ she thought determinedly.

Next thing she knew, she was looking at the buildings in front of her sideways and her feet were not touching the ground. She uttered a shriek. Looking up, Taehyung’s face was looking down at her. His usual smirk was pasted on. He had picked her up as easily as he would a bag of flour and was carrying her bridal style.

“What the heck?” Eunkyung exclaimed. She began struggling to get out of Taehyung’s arms. “Put me down! People are going to misunderstand!”

“Well then, they’ll think that your loving boyfriend is carrying you to his car.” Taehyung placed her next to the driver’s seat. He even buckled her up before shutting the door.

Entering the driver’s seat, he the ignition and began driving. With a flabbergasted expression, Eunkyung stared at him. “What do you think you’re doing?” Then it dawned on her. “You’re trying to take me to the formal party, aren’t you?”

“Please.” His voice became suddenly quiet and had no trace of arrogance. Eunkyung was at a loss of words at this sudden change in him. Taehyung kept his eyes straight on the road. “Think of it as a favor for the CEO.”

**********

The dressing room’s curtains parted and Eunkyung stepped out. She was wearing a strapless yellow gown made out of silk that ended right above her knees. Her hair was up in eloquent pin curls at the back and pearls were threaded through them. The makeup artist had done her face, which emitted a soft, lively glow. She was wearing a pearl necklace around her pale, delicate neck and on her feet were white high-heels. In Taehyung’s eyes, she looked absolutely stunning.

Taehyung’s eyes rounded and his lips parted. He froze, as if in a daze. Eunkyung glanced at the full-length mirror. “I don’t look like myself,” she muttered as she examined herself.

“You’re beautiful,” he said, breathlessly. Eunkyung stared at him through the mirror, surprised by the sincerity in his voice.

He walked up to Eunkyung. “Thank you,” he said seriously. “Thank you for agreeing to be my partner.”

Eunkyung sighed. She knew she was going to regret this.

Five minutes later, the two were exiting Manager Song’s black van. Taehyung stepped out first and offered Eunkyung his hand. The girl stared outside, where numerous reporters and cameramen were crowding about, trying to get past the bodyguards. She squinted in the blinding light of the camera flashes and felt frightened of the ruckus outside.

Gently, Taehyung grabbed her arm and pulled her out. Eunkyung shut her eyes, trying to ignore the shouting that was throwing numerous questions about her appearance. This was really bad. She hadn’t known that although the press wasn’t invited to the actual party, they’d be waiting outside.

As if sensing her thoughts, Taehyung pressed her to his chest, trying to block the press from catching a glimpse of her face. He ignored all the wild shouting and pressed his way forward with his bodyguards. He refused to even glance at the cameras and managed to enter the huge hall.

“We’re inside. I’m really sorry; I hadn’t expected the press to be outside. Are you unhurt?” Taehyung asked softly. Eunkyung looked up and was surprised to see concern on his face. She couldn’t almost recognize the haughty idol inside the boy standing in front of her.

As soon as they entered the ballroom, they were the center of attention. Several famous celebrities and CEOs stared openly at Eunkyung, as if criticizing her appearance with their eyes. None of the faces were friendly, but they weren’t exactly hostile either – they were more curious than menacing. Taehyung ignored all of them and began searching for the Big Hit Entertainment CEO by scanning the huge room.

“My, isn’t it the renowned Taehyung Kim!” A gray-haired man with a face tinted with greed and power approached the two. A little behind him, a girl with long, straight hair dyed wheat-blonde followed him. She looked like she had just finished high school. She wore a flowing, red gown that had a slit at the side to reveal long, shapely legs. She had huge, cat-like eyes and an elegant air, looking like a young model coming from a runway.

“Mr. Lee of SM,” Taehyung said. He bowed and Eunkyung quickly followed.

“Hello, it’s an honor to meet one of Korea’s top idols.” The man’s voice was as oily as his slicked-back pepper hair. He extended a bony hand. Taehyung shook it, feeling somewhat disgusted. He did not like the expression on the CEO's face.

Mr. Lee motioned to the young girl beside him. “This is our new top idol, Krystal Jung. She will debut in a few weeks as part of our new girl group, Electric Shock. Although she hasn’t attended a music broadcast yet, she is quite popular with the press. She even has her own fan club now.” A snake-like smile formed on his face. “I was hoping that you two would spend time together during this party, but I had no clue you’d bring a partner.”

Eunkyung could feel Taehyung stiffen from beside her. He put his arm around her waist. “I’m sorry,” he said. “However, I don’t think I could be with any girl other than this one.” Eunkyung resisted the temptation to gag at the cheesy statement.

A smirk formed on Mr. Lee’s face. “Ah, young people in love these days.” He motioned Krystal forward. She smiled prettily at Taehyung, but his expression didn’t change the slightest. He just gave her a short nod of acknowledgment.

Krystal’s gaze Eunkyung, and the older girl was ruffled by the immediate change in the younger girl’s face. Her huge eyes stared down at her icily and her lips curved downwards. Then, she looked back up at Taehyung and smiled sweetly. Inwardly, Eunkyung scoffed at her manner. Even Taehyung’s sharp eyes caught the sudden changes, and he grimaced.

“I’m sorry, sir, I’m looking for Mr. Bang,” Taehyung said flatly. He began guiding Eunkyung away, not giving Mr. Lee so much of another glance.

“Who is that girl?” Mr. Lee murmured. He removed his phone from the inner pocket of his suit.