Chapter 30

Two of Me

Taehyung glanced at the reporter. “So what if we are?” he snapped. Eunkyung’s jaw dropped.

“I don’t appreciate you bothering my girlfriend all the time. Would you like it if a bunch of nosy people started chasing you asking about your boyfriend?” The idol’s eyes narrowed. The reporter’s jaw dropped.

“But you’re an idol! This is big news!” a short reporter yelled, walking forward with a microphone in his hand.

“Well, here’s bigger news.” Taehyung crossed his arms. “I’m quitting being an idol. I’m going to live a quiet life as a songwriter.”

Gasps shot out from the crowd. Several reporters pushed forward. “Is that really true?” one man asked. “You’re leaving Big Hit Entertainment?”

“How about your contract?” one woman yelled out.

Taehyung frowned. “Big Hit is a wonderful and understanding company. Once my CEO understands, he’ll release me.”

**********

Mr. Bang was staring at his TV, where Entertainment Weekly was on live. He glared at the blonde-haired boy on the screen. “That one-track-minded boy,” he muttered. However, he sighed. “I knew this was coming.”

Manager Song, who was called in, gaped at the TV. “What?” Outrage was evident in his one word.

The CEO linked his fingers together. “It was predictable. He never enjoyed celebrity life, anyways. The only thing that brought him to me was his love of music.” Then he abruptly turned the TV off. “I just wish he asked me first before telling the press.”

The manager glanced at his boss. “I’ll make sure to bring him to you as soon as he gets back to the office,” he promised.

**********

“How about your fans?” a reporter cried out.

Taehyung sighed. “I’ve always appreciated them very much. However, this is a choice I’ve thought about for quite a long time, and I’m sure that I’ll be happier as a songwriter than an idol. I’ll never forget everyone who helped me become the celebrity I am today. If my fans would be generous enough to keep supporting me, I hope they’ll listen to the music I will write later.”

Eunkyung was temporarily forgotten and the press threw questions towards the boy about his early career change. Taehyung tightened his grip on her wrist and pulled her out of the mass. “Run!” he exclaimed. The two started running towards the direction of his Mercedes-Benz.

Before the following reporters and cameramen could surround the car, Taehyung drove off. Eunkyung took a moment to catch her breath.

“I’m sorry,” Taehyung said. He bit his lip. “I’ve caused trouble for you, haven’t I?” There had been several university students who had stopped to stare at the two and the mob of press.

“It’s fine,” Eunkyung murmured. “Thanks for saving me from being eaten alive again.”

Taehyung’s tightened his grip on the steering wheel. His knuckles turned white. “I’m sorry about that time, too.” His voice sounded pained. “But don’t worry; my news about retiring from the idol life is going to spread more than my dating news. This is all going to die out in a few weeks, when I actually quit.”

“I… know. News is like that – big but short.”

The boy reached over with one hand and put it on top of the girl’s. “I’ll be with you the whole time, so the press doesn’t attack you again. As long as you’re with me, you’ll be safe.”

Eunkyung sighed. “I can wait.”

**********

Iseul stared at the two familiar figures being chased by several people. Taehyung and Eunkyung dashed into the boy’s car and drove away, leaving the crowd yelling in frustration. “Is that what I think it is?” Iseul whispered.

Hoseok, who was standing beside her, nodded slowly. “They must really be dating.” Then he grinned. “I feel sorry for Eunkyung being chased around all the time, but it’ll fade in a month or so. It seems like they’re serious since Taehyung Kim said that he was quitting being an idol. Now that’s dedication. I bet you that they're going to end up married.”

Jin closed his eyes. Maybe they were really in love. He opened his eyes, which were full of pain and resignation. ‘I just want Eunkyung to be happy,’ he thought.

 


Hey, readers, it's been awhile!! How are you?