THE FUNERAL

Too Fast To Live, Too Young To Die

| T H E   F U N E R A L |


Guests are coming in and out of the funeral place where Double Dragons are all present to pay tribute to their late heiress. There is a large portrait of Hare in front and her beautiful white urn situated on top of the table along with some flowers and incense. A bowl of peaches and oranges are being offered as well.

 

The whole gang played the role excellently as the ambiance in the room was really gloomy. The whole stuff were just an act. The ashes in the urn where also fake and just burnt  scratch paper. Their faces showed nothing but sorrow. It added more to their little show. These people should never know that Sandara is alive or rather Hare.

 

She has to be dead, at least for them.

 

"GD..."

 

Jiyong looked up and saw Dongwook and Phyton gave him a sympathetic smile. They were dressed in black suits like all of them. Women in black hanbok, or traditional dresses, are going around, serving teas and snacks for those who stayed and visited the said wake.

 

"We heard what happened. We're sorry and condolence," Dongwook said mournfully.

 

He just nodded. Being sad and miserable seems to be easy for him since he is truly feeling that way. He is really suffering from losing Sandara.

 

"It's unfortunate that she met an early death. You must be having a hard time, GD-ssi. Our gang, H.S.S Mob, is extending our condolences," Phyton said as well. His usual playful demeanor changed with genuine empathy.

 

Once more, he just gave the latter a brief tiny smile before turning in front where Sandara's smiling portrait was situated. The two prominent leaders shared a look and for the last time gave him a brotherly tap on his shoulder before leaving him alone to talk to the other guests.

 

He shuts his eyes and takes a lungful of air before sighing deeply. He felt a slight ache on his temple and massaged it with his hand in circular motion. It's only been three days since her departure and two days since Hare's death. Three ing days and he's been sulking with his loss.

 

So far, no one has been suspecting and they truly believe in their staged funeral. Visitors keep coming in and out, offering their sympathy. They also temporarily stop all their operations to make their mourning seem real. Only few people knew that Sandara is still alive which is good for her safety.

 

Sandara is no longer affiliated in the gang. She is now a civilian. In their world, she doesn't exist anymore.

 

"Ji..." Youngbae called his name to get his attention.

 

Jiyong turns to him, frowning.

 

Youngbae clipped his lips together and looked around them before leaning towards him to whisper.

 

"There's been a problem," he said. "Someone is trying to breech our database."

 

His face darkens and stands up.

 

"How did it happen?" he hissed darkly. "We have our firewalls secured!"

 

Youngbae looked weary and his voice lowered.

 

"The intruder managed to crack our system. Fortunately, the database's security automatically activated when the hacker tried to access it. Our tech team is now detecting the source of the hacker. But they informed me that the target of breeching is Hare's data."

 

His eyes turned to slits.

 

"I need precise details."

 

"How about the funeral? They will look for you and might questioned your disappearance."

 

He grits his teeth and snarls. He looked around and caught Bom and Chaerin. He walked up to them with Youngbae following him behind.

 

"Virgo, Pisces." The two looked at him with a frown. "Take over for a while. If anyone ask for me, make up an excuse or something. I have important matters to attend."

 

The latter two nodded as they regard his seriousness and dark look on his face.

 

"We'll handle it from here. Do what you have to do. Don't mind us," Bom said with a reassuring tone.

 

Jiyong nodded and left with Youngbae. They entered their control room where line of computers and other technologies that they use and develop are in there. The head of the tech team quickly stands up and address him while the others followed suit, all wearing an anxious look.

 

"Boss," he bowed politely.

 

"Report," he demanded.

 

The head swallowed before clearing his throat and leads him to one in front of the screen panel where a huge red alert is displayed. All of the tech personnels are busy typing on their keyboards and clicking their mouses. Codes after codes showed in their screens as they try to trace the hacker. Others are working on programs, reinstalling the security and protecting their data.

 

"As of earlier morning, we detected a foreign server penetrating our system. The hacker had already broken the first firewall and on almost breaking in to the second if we hadn't stop it. The intruder's breech path is towards our members profiles and records. We managed to secure our operations data and bussiness internal assets. We also checked if the other data had been touch. It wasn't. But to make sure, we tightens the security of all the database and installed new firewalls to block alien IPs to access our system. We also installed software programs that jams signal and launches viruses which shuts down the third party. Our men are also trying to locate the intruder until now. However, it seems that this hacker did the hacking in an internet café because the IP address showed a commercial network."

 

Jiyong furrowed his brows together as he looked at the screen in front of him.

 

"What about Hare's data? Did this er get it?"

 

"Only few," the head mumbled inaudible with fear.

 

"WHAT?!" he yelled.

 

They shook hearing his voice came to notch in anger. His eyes mirrored pure rage.

 

"Why the hell did you let it happen?! How much is the damage? How far did this motherer get?"

 

The tech head trembled clearly frightened. He stammered when he answered him. "O-Only the basic i-information and n-nothing more. We... We manged to b-block the intruder getting in f-further deeper."

 

Jiyong shuts his eyes. The entire people in the room jumped excluding Youngbae who only winces silently when he slammed his palms on top of the table and hurled a wireless keyboard his hand grabbed towards the LED monitor in the corner, creating a crack through the screen.

 

"Do your ing jobs and find the son of a . Make sure to destroy any information he managed to steal from us. No matter how small it is! I want results today. Is that clear?" he growled angrily.

 

"Yes, Boss!" they all said.

 

Jiyong left the room with controlled rage. He could not stay put knowing someone imposed a threat to Sandara by hacking their system to get Hare's information. He cannot seat around without getting his hand to the arse who dares trespass their system. Someone is messing with them again and clearly the person of target is none other than Sandara.

 

He can't let the bastard compromised her safety and put his sacrifice in vain. He will continue to protect and keep her at harms lenght even from far distance. It was a promise he will intend to keep forever.

 

Nobody can touch Sandara without passing through him first! And he'll make sure they won't be able to lift a finger on her.

 

***

 

"Yes...hmm, don't worry I will tell him that...of course...yes...hmm. We'll be waiting." Youngbae hangs up the line before turning to Jiyong who's smoking behind his office desk with a stern but tired look on his face.

Youngbae sighs.

"Uncle's flight has been delayed. He might be back a little longer. He said that we should go on with the wake without him. Make an alibi if possible for his absence. He had already been inform about the plan and the fake death. But he also said that he wants full details from you once he returns."

"Why? Did he say the reason for the delay?"

"Nope. But he only said that he needs to stay longer wherever he was and it is really important."

Jiyong frowns. "Important than Hare's funeral?"

Youngbae shrugs. "Perhaps."

"People will ask on why he isn't here for his daughter's suppose wake, especially on the day of the burial."

"That's why he asked for us to make an excuse. He was in a hurry when he called. I think it's really urgent that Uncle chose to compromise this act."

Jiyong exhales audibly in exasperation. He felt that slight sting on his temple once again. He is lacking of sleep and exhausted. It shows on the dark ring under his eyes and paleness of his skin. He also drop some pounds for not eating a proper meal for days.

Oh yes. He's taking the depression by heart.

"Are you okay, Ji?" Youngbae asked worriedly.

"I'm fine. Tell the others that if ever someone ask about Uncle that he fell ill after hearing the tragic news and couldn't take it well. It will be plausible enough for those prying souls. Have you get any progress with the tech team?"

"Yes. Everything is under control. They already retrieved the data from the hacker and destroyed it from their computer. Though they had a hard time, they did their job well. This is the identification of the unknown hacker they got." He hand him a folder that contains the written report of the intruder.

Jiyong scanned he file as his frown got deeper and deeper, reading the copy of the report.

"Our men managed to hack the CCTV images from the internet café where they located the IP address of the hacker. It is definitely a man as you can see with the body built despite his cap and thick black clothing, covering him. Using the imaging enhancer, they captured the face of the hacker and identified by matching to intelligence records," Youngbae added, informing him.

He looked at him stoically and settled the file on top of the table.

"This information is basically blank. How come this person is not in our record or in any records in particular? This person is completely unidentified. And yet your giving me this useless report? I want precise details, Youngbae."

Youngbae clears his throat, seeing his face which only meant serious business.

"They currently working on it, Ji. We also get the Umbra's cooperation in order to find this intruder."

His face darkens and grits his teeth. What else he can do right? This bastard is proving to be a difficult one. Honestly, they shouldn't underestimated this intruder. And seriously, who is he? What does he want from them?

"I want results as soon as possible, Youngbae. I have a bad feeling about this."

Youngbae nodded quietly. "As you wish."

Jiyong dismissed him while massaging his aching temple once again however the latter stayed in front of him with a serious look on his face. He briefly glanced at his best friend who clipped his lips tightly.

He knew what was coming and just sigh. Youngbae is being a mother hen again. Though he looked at him warily, there's a trace of concern in his eyes. He knew he was worried about him. Youngbae has been that kind of friend, reliable and caring.

The two of them stood side by side and fought back to back all their life. Their connection is beyond what others see. Yes. He is close with Top, Daesung and Seungri. But Youngbae held a different level of closeness to him. He is his best friend and a brother from another mother. If Youngbae will fight for his sake blood and life, then he can do the same.

And he understand why he was acting this way. It is thoughtful of him but he had to win this battle on his own. No one can help him but himself.

"When was the last time you eat, Jiyong?" he asked.

"Why? Do I look like I'm starving?" Jiyong tried to chuckle to lighten the mood but the latter didn't seem like it.

"You're malnourished. You are all skin and bones. Are you trying to kill yourself with starvation? What are you doing, Jiyong?"

Jiyong sighs. "I eat, alright."

"Eat?" Youngbae's voice sounds in controlled anger. "Eat what, Jiyong? Caffeine? Brandy? I am with you twenty-four/seven. I haven't seen you feed yourself with proper meals!"

He looked away and scratched his hair. "I forgot okay? I'm sorry. It skips my mind to eat this pass few days. Everything is like a blur that I loss my appetite eventually."

"Loss your appetite?" Youngbae asked incredulously then he scoffs. "Or your sacrificing your health because of Sandara again?" Jiyong stilled and his best friend smirked bitterly. "When will you ever learn, Jiyong? She won't go back even if you put up a hunger strike. Sandara will never comeback. So learn to deal with it and start looking after yourself. You're being selfish again. You're being unfair not only to us but on yourself. Oh yes! Sandara left but it doesn't mean your world has to stop spinning." Youngbae closes his eyes and inhales to calm himself. When he opens his eyes again, he is more composed. "I know it's hard for you. But please, Ji don't die. We need you. Think of us, our men, who are relying on your shoulders. We already lost Sandara. We can't afford to lose you too."

For the first time, Jiyong saw the grief in his best friend's eyes. These pass several days he never seen him expresses his opinion about Sandara's departure. He remained silent and watched everything in the sidelines.

When he was against the plan in the first place, he still kept silent and let him decide while supporting him in the corner. When he acted cold towards Sandara, deep inside he was hurting as well. She had been part of their childhood after all. She was family. It something cannot be erased with their indecisions and mistakes.

All along he was hurting with a broken heart. What he failed to realize is that he was hurting the people who cares for him twice. Youngbae is right. He is such a selfish bastard.

"I'm sorry, Youngbae," he apologized shamefully. "Don't worry anymore. I will grab something to eat and I will feed myself from now on until I regain more weight."

Youngbae sighs. "That's not it, Ji. I don't want to see you this way like before. It was a horrible sight."

"I know. I can't promise anything but I'll try. It's just hard for now."

"I am not rushing you. Moving on is easier said than done. I am only saying this to help you. Use this as a diversion. We have pressing matters that needed your attention. Focus on that for now."

"Alright. I'll do my best."

"I don't mean harm, brother."

"I know, Bae."

Youngbae sighs. "Eat, okay. And please, if you can, rest as well. You're surpassing Seungri's old panda eyes. He wouldn't like it. He owns the title."

He chuckled. "Do I really look that bad?"

"Horrible, brother. You look half dead."

'I am dead inside.'

He didn't voice that out and just shakes his head. Youngbae bids his farewell and left. He once again alone in the safety of his office. And he can't help to wonder, how are you now, Sandara?

***

"Aww..." Sandara whimpered when she accidentally bit her tongue while eating a bowl of ramyeon. She heard a chuckle across her and she playfully glared at the culprit.

"Eat slowly. You won't run out of ramyeon, you know?" Il Woo said while chuckling at her misfortune.

"Shut up. This is not funny," she said while nursing her stinging tongue.

They were at her house, in the living room exactly. She invited him when she learned that the latter is currently in the country. And here they are, sharing a sumptuous snack while watching a chic flix of his choice.

"You know when I was in Philippines for a business trip, they have this saying that if you bit down your tongue accidentally, there's a possibility that someone is thinking of you. You have to ask someone a digit to determine the first letter of that person," Il Woo informed her.

"What? That sounds ridiculous!"

The latter shrugs and takes a big bite of his noodles. "It won't hurt to try. Ask me, palli!"

Sandara rolled her eyes and asked in disinterest.

"Alright. Number?"

Il Woo made a thinking face before answering her with a stupid grin.

"10!"

Sandara mentally counted the English alphabet with her fingers. But she stilled when she reached the tenth letter.

"What letter is it?" Il Woo asked excitedly.

"J.." she mumbled inaudibly.

"J? Who could that be? Someone you know?"

She had a hunch though. But she doesn't want to assume. How can it possibly be Jiyong? And what chances are does the saying can be real? None, right?

Sandara shook her head and eat her ramyeon. Her eyes focused on the screen whereas a hollywood film is playing. It was a classic Nicholas Sparks movie adaptation—The Choice. The story is on it's where the leading man is about to make a choice whether to give up his wife or hold on to her.

Somehow, she saw the guy in Jiyong's place. She thought about the choice he made when she left. Letting go of someone you love the most is really difficult. It was never easy to begin with. It requires a thorough thinking and a tough heart. And she wondered if Jiyong experienced the same thing the leading man in the movie did.

She felt the hallow in her heart became deeper. Thinking about him made her feel heavy emotions. She begins questioning herself and the decision she made. Was it really worth it?

A bile forms on , making hard for her to swallow the food. She fought the urge to cry. She can't afford to give in in her emotions especially in front of Il Woo. Her friend has no idea what she was going through. And it is as if she can tell him about it.

No. She can't possibly open up the subject to him without revealing her affiliation to the gang. He had known her as Sandara Park, not Hare. He will be beyond mortified if he knows the truth.

"Whoa! Why are you crying? Does the movie affects you so much?" Il Woo said, waking her up from the piths of her sorrow.

She blinks at him in confusion. She was surprised upon feeling the dampness of her cheeks when she touched her face with her hands. She didn't notice herself weeping already when she really fought hard not to show it. But her tears have their own mind and shed out from her ducts.

She rushly wiped her tears, embarassed in front of her friend.

"It's nothing. I just hate the girl for making her man suffer like this, leaving him with no choice," she said instead to avoid his prying.

"True. But she doesn't know it since she's in deep coma. Her life is now depends with the guy's decision. Nonetheless, we always have a choice. But it doesn't mean we leave others without a choice. That's too cruel. The guy here is still lucky. The girl trusts him to do the decision-making. Others doesn't have that luxury to pick what they want because some didn't let them to choose anyway. The only lingering question is, will that decision is always right?"

Sandara looked at him. Something inside her stung when he said those words. He hits the jackpot. That's the only time she realized what she did to Jiyong.

She left him with no choice but to  let her go. She didn't let him decide instead she just leaves him with only one option. This isn't what he wanted. And she's starting to realize how much wrong it was now.

The movie ends with the girl survived at the last minute when the guy had already made his decision. It was a picture perfect when the whole family smiles together under the brightly lit moon at their secret haven. It is never too late. If she really wanted to, she can go back and make up for the chance she missed. To gain back the people she lost along the way. And to return the love she wasted.

Only that, she needs to work hard for it this time. And she is hundred and one percent sure that it will never going to be easy. If she'll going to do it, she has to be prepared.

She has to depend on herself from now on. This time she's not going to go back as Hare. She will be plain Sandara Park.

 

Double update. #MOTTE #GD

#STAYSTRONGTOP #STAYSTRONGBIGBANDANDVIP

xx,

bonapaix