Why did you

Run

The next morning, Mark was being shaken awake, a familiar voice in his ears. “Hey Mark its Noon, so I thought I come and wake you myself.” 
Mark slowly open his eyes, groaning at the light. Kokorana was at the side of his bed holding his hand and rubbing his back. Jackson came suddenly barging in the room, as if he was in a hurry. He look straight to Kokorana, “Hey I have some things to deal with before we leave Saturday, I should be back by dinner time so just make yourself at home.” His eyes then shifted to Mark and they seem to change from stress to anger. “Mark, you sleep well.” 

 

Kokorana offer to go with Jackson and help out. He tried insisting on doing it himself, but after some begging, all three were once again stuffed into his car. The neighborhood they were traveling to didn’t seem very friendly. Mark was on high alert and he could sense Kokorana was nervous. Jackson pulled up to what would probably be called the nicest house in the neighborhood. “I need to go see someone, wait here in the car. Mark move up front and please keep the doors locked.” Mark nodded and moved up front. He noticed Kokorana was shaking and he took her hand in his, “Everything will be okay. Let’s get some food after this Koko.” She nodded then leaned her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes.

Jackson walked up to the door, palms sweating but no look of fear dared cross his face. Hopefully this would be the last time he would have to be here. He had a bag of money hidden under his jacket, and he held it close. He knock on the door and a younger man opened it.

“Yes, can I help you?” The young man asked.

“Im here to see Jaebum.”

"He’s not in, but his right hand man is. Come on in."

Jackson followed him back to an office like space that Jaebum was usually in. “Hey Bam, someone’s here to see Jaebum.” Bambam nodded and pointed for him to take a seat, but Jackson declined, as he preferred to stay standing in front of him. He remembered he hated this kid, he was always getting into trouble not knowing how to stay out of anyone’s business. But why is he Jaebum right hand man? He thought. He was sure that Jaebum would give such a responsibility to the young man named Jinyoung.

Bambam was leaned back in a big leather chair, his feet on top of the desk and he was passing what looked like a ball between his hands.

“What cha' want Jackson?” he asked, watching the spinning ball in his own hands.

“Where’s Jb?” Jackson mumbled.

“Out with a client, I believe." Bambam rose from his chair and walked to Jackson’s side, making firm eye contact with him.  "If you won’t tell me why you’re here you can just leave.”

Jackson knew that even though Bambam was small, he was a fighter and liked to start punching before asking questions. “I’m here to finish paying Jaebum off and tell him I won’t ever be coming back, I moving to another country.”

The breath was knocked out of Jackson as he was suddenly pushed up against a wall. He felt a sliver of cold touch his neck, and he looked down to see BamBam holding a knife to his throat. “You can’t leave. Once you’re in, you’re in for life.” Bambam hissed.

Jackson was about to punch the kid in the throat when the door slammed open. He choked on his breathe and almost cried out. There stood Kokorana and Mark held by two other young men both looking slightly beaten. He hand reached out to Kokorana but was too restricted by Bambam. Kokorana was crying and Mark looked so furious, he couldn’t think straight. He just stared angrily into Jackson’s eyes.

Suddenly a booming Korean voice broke over the house and made everyone fall silent.

“Why is there broken glass and blood all over the front yard?!?! Jinyoung doesn’t get paid enough to put up with this!" In came Jaebum, tossing his head around and giving everyone dirty looks. He saw the small group, and then his eyes shifted to Jackson. Shaking his head, he walked over and took the knife from Bambam hand.

“Don’t move."

"Yugyeom, YoungJae come here now.” He yelled across the house. Two boys walked in and he motion for them to get some bandages and towels. Jb walked over to the men holding Kokorana and Mark and whispered something in their ears. Terror shone in their eyes and they immediately released them. Jackson didn’t know what he said to them, but he was sure that he didn’t want any part of it.

Both the younger boys came back and help clean up Mark and Kokorana. The boy named YoungJae was wrapping up Mark hand. Mark was listening intently to the argument to find out what was going on. Not that it was necessary to listen to hard when Jaebum is literally yelling loud enough for the neighborhood to hear.

“What the hell happened?!? I leave with Jinyoung for an hour and you're causing all this bull?"

“I didn’t have anything to do with those two!” Bambam shouted, though you could tell he was scared. “I was only threatening Jackson because he said he was leaving the country!”

Jb shook his head and told him he would talk to him later and to just wash up for dinner. Bambam nodded and quickly left.

Jb turned to Jackson, “I'm sorry this happened. I don’t know what gets into these boys, its like they think they own everything! Now what was Bambam talking about? You're leaving the country?”

Jackson pulled the cash out of his coat and handed it to Jb. "Yeah, that's right. So here's the rest of the money I owe you. I need a new start and Kokorana is offering me one. Thanks for everything you’ve done for me. If it wasn’t for you I would never gotten back on my feet.”

Jb nodded, but put the money back in Jackson's hands. “Keep it. I don’t need the money anyways.” Jb pulled Jackson in for a hug, and handed him a small note. “I’m going to miss you."

Jb glanced over to Kokorana and Mark. “I’m really sorry again for what happen.”

Jb sat at his desk and pulled out a stack of checks. He wrote one out and handed it to Mark. “There isn’t much I can do, but hopefully this helps.” Mark bowed a bit and took the check. He didn’t feel very comfortable taking money from this man, but he felt if he did they might be able to get out of there sooner. Even more than that, Mark was dying to get Jackson alone to give him a piece of his mind.

Jaebum offered to fix the windows on Jackson's car but since it wouldn’t be going with him to Korea, Jackson told him not to worry about it. With one last goodbye, they headed on the road back to Jackson's place. Mark was silent and tense in the backseat. He was trying to think of what to say to Jackson, but he was so angry, he couldn’t think straight. Jackson was silent and tense too, putting all his focus into his driving, his grip tight on the wheel. Kokorana was uncomfortable with the atmosphere the way it was so she tried to ease everyone’s minds.

“Why don’t we go do something fun like? Let’s go to amusement park....or maybe a water park! I haven’t been able to swim yet this summer.” Both boys were still silent, but nodded their heads. She wasn’t sure if they actually wanted to or just agreed because they had no way of arguing. When they got back to Jacksons, everyone got a change of clothes.

“I'm sorry you guys got hurt, I didn’t think things would get that bad.” Jackson apologized once more.

Mark scoffed and rolled his eyes. “You should have fought more or made us stay farther from the house. You put Koko's life in danger.”

Jackson clenched his fists “It’s not like I did it on purpose!”

“Guys, I’m ready.” Koko yelled, shuffling into the living room.

“We'll finish this talk later, I don’t want to do this in front of Koko.” Mark whispered.

Jackson just nodded. They headed out to a small amusement park nearby, Kokorana was ready for anything, and she dragged the boys to every ride she could. Jackson was a scaredy cat when it came to rollercoasters, leaving Mark and Kokorana to ride them alone. “It’s been awhile since we did something like this.” She yelled as they went through a loop. Mark just smiled through his screaming.

After hours of running around the park, they were all just about worn out. "Hey, I think it’s time to call it quits and get some food." By the end of the day, they had forgotten their worries, and they managed to spend the next few days in peace. The days seemed a bit slower to Mark, though, as he decided to keep his words to himself for now to avoid any more drama while they were there. Anytime Kokorana wanted to do something he told her to just ahead with Jackson. Finally departure day was upon them and Mark wanted nothing more than to just get back to his own house and his own “world".

“Are you sure you have everything you’re taking, Mandu?” Koko asked Jackson for the millionth time. “Yes, I don’t need much.”

Koko grinned and told him she was going to check on Mark. Koko walked to the spare room and, seeing the door was cracked, peeked her head inside. Mark was sitting on the bed in a tight fetal position. He held a blank stare to the wall, seeming deep in thought about something. She walked in and sat next to him on the bed.

She laid her hand on his knee. “You okay?” Mark looked at Kokorana and smiled, “Yes I’m fine. Just can’t wait to get home.” He said truthfully. Kokorana smiled back and wrap her arm around his shoulder.

“Did I walk in on something?” Jackson joked, marching into the room. Mark looked at Jackson with a small smile, the first smile Jackson had seen from him the last few days. Maybe Mark didn’t hate him anymore, Jackson thought. Mark was still upset with Jackson but after being alone the last few days he realized that he just needed to cool down. "We're all ready then?" Koko asked. The boys both agreed, and they were soon on their way to the airport, and then on their way to Korea.