Ch. 20

Run

When Koko headed out earlier she knew where Jackson would be, anytime something was bugging Jackson he always ended up drinking. There was a bar down the street and it was the first place she headed. Her intuition was right. She saw Jackson sitting at the back of the bar by himself, a few glasses already at his side. She asked the bartender for a glass of water and walked over to Jackson. She sat down next to him, handing him the glass. He nodded, only glancing up at her long enough to acknowledge she was there. He took a few sips, but seemed to struggle as he drank. He set the glass down and stared into the table as though he was upset with it. His eyes started to water. "What am I even doing? What’s wrong with me?"
Kokorana started to feel a bit tense. She had been friends with Jackson a long time, sure, but she had only seen Jackson break down a few times. She knew something was really bugging him, but she didn’t want to talk about it there, so she tried to change the subject. “I should get you home.” Koko mumbled. Jackson shook his head, “I'd rather stay here for a little longer, if that’s okay.” Koko stayed by his side, continuing to make him drink his glass of water. Jackson phone went off and he pulled it out under the table. It was a text from Rae saying she was at the club they went to the night before, and if he wanted to, he could join her. 
, he thought to himself, though he wasn’t completely drunk and the water was helping; he knew Koko wouldn’t leave his side easily. 
Koko saw Jackson looking at his phone, which was hidden under the table just out of her view. A guilty expression crossed his face. She had a feeling something was up and Jackson was trying to get rid of her. “Just go Jacks. Your face shows everything.” 
Jackson looked down and grinned. “I’ll be fine, I’m just meeting up with a friend. I’ll call you if I need anything.” Jackson paid for the drinks and gave Koko a swift hug. “Thank you.” He yelled as he left. She had a feeling she knew exactly who this 'friend' was. She quickly left the bar and headed for home. When she arrived, she saw Mark sitting on the porch. “Home already, I see. Did you find Jackson?” 
“Yeah, I don’t know if he completely fine but he’s going out to see a friend.”
 “Oh, friend? Who?” Mark asked. 
“If I am right, Rae. Is she here?” 
He shook his head. “I sent her out, she needs a break.” 
Koko sat down, “You're right. She's been so busy lately, she really needs to spend as much time out as she can.” 
“Do you think she will tell Jackson she likes him, or keep hiding it?” Both let out a chuckle, “She's probably going to be stubborn about it.” 
“Well we got the house to our self what do you want to do?” Koko looked up at the sky, “We could make a mess of the kitchen. Rae's not here to stop us.”
 You know when she got back she would kill us both.” Mark responded, “Though, we could play a joke on her.” 
“Like what? She'll kill us no matter what we do, Mark. Do you want to get us killed?” 
Mark started bursting out laughing. “Don’t worry I got a way to get her. I won’t get you involved just be ready to duck.” 
Koko shook her head. She didn’t know what Mark was planning, but was sure Rae would murder anyone within reach when she got angry. “Just go get ready for bed I’ll join you in a few.” He said. She decided not to question him about it. If he wanted to die, that was his business. An hour later Mark finally joined her in the bedroom. “I’m locking the door.” Koko figured it had something to do with whatever trick he was pulling. They headed to bed but the worry that Rachel would come in and eat their heads off at any moment kept Koko up most of the night.