fifteen

7 Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hyuna stared at the necklace. It wasn’t anything unusual about it. She always got gifts from Joongki she liked. Just the kiss threw her off. She never has gotten a kiss from Joongki in the first place and now two in a row? 

Something was weird. 

And it wasn’t the weird Joongki she was used to.

She would have pondered longeron that thought if it wasn’t for the annoying ringtone Jennie saved for her number on her phone.

„Did you miss meeeeeeeee?“ Jennie said as soon as Hyuna answered the facetime call. Hyuna had to distance her face from the screen before looking at the too-much-in-front-of-the-screen face of Jennie. „I can see your nostrils.“

„I wanted you to see them first.“ Jennie retorted before holding her phone a normal length away from her face. „Anyway, how was the first school day of the last year as a high schooler?“ 

„I haven’t even gotten out of our house yet…“ 

„Well, excuse you. I’m still not used to the different time zone.“ Jennie scowled. It’s been months already that Joongki left her speechless with the kiss and months already when Jennie left for Europe. It hurted at first. Jennie was her only friend. The one with so many mood swings, that it felt you had tons of friends. She was Hyuna’s rock. It took her months to get used to her absence. Jennie had left a huge hole in Hyuna’s heart when she left.

„Take lots of pictures of those ugly girls.“ Jennie snickered. Hyuna rolled her eyes. „They’re not ugly.“ „But we don’t like them.“ Jennie reasoned. Hyuna agreed on that before sighing. „I wish you were here.“

Jennie stared at the screen of her phone before sighing. „Same. I don’t like it here.“ „But you have Mino.“ Hyuna supplied to which Jennie frowned. „First of all it's creeeeeepy and not true. And second of all… don’t you think it’s too much of a coincidence to have him follow me to Paris from S.Kor.?! Like that’s super-"

The facetime stilled for a moment before it continued. „Did you hear that? That’s the idiot. He comes and picks me up every day?!“ 

Hyuna knew Jennie better to believe her complaints. Her idiot best friend was just too shy to admit that she liked the guy. The very Mino she was classmates with too. Just who thought, that gangster Mino would date pretty Jennie. 

„Where are you guys going?“ Hyuna asked. Now that she thought of it should be night time in Paris. „Oh, .“ Jennie screeched when she heard someone knocking on her window. 

„Don’t tell me you are sneaking out again?“ Hyuna frowned. Jennie showed her, her famous grin. „You bet.“

„You are getting into trouble again.“ Hyuna sighed. „They can’t send me further away. They don’t wanna live in „nowhere“.“ Jennie said while thinking of her parents. 

„Don’t try your luck, Kim.“ Hyuna reminded her. „Anyway, have fun and don’t get caught. I will get ready for school.“

„Hey! Don’t hang up yet!“ Jennie scowled. Hyuna raised a brow at her while pointing at the back of Jennie. She could see Mino outside of Jennie’s window, who was trying to get her attention. 

„Mino is-„ „He wanted to climb up the window.“ Jennie shrugged before paying him no heeds. „You look nice.“

Hyuna shrugged. „I always do?“ It was Jennie’s turn to roll her eyes. „No, like really pretty. Long hair looks better on you. And… are you wearing makeup?“

„Oh, yeah about that… Sungkyung Unnie forced me to go shopping with her and here we are.“ Lots had changed ever since Jennie left for Europe. Aside from the length of Hyuna’s hair; her circle of friends had changed too. She would often find herself hanging out with Sungkyung and Joohyuk. Joohyuk came only into the scene because he started dating Sungkyung but that wasn’t a surprise for anyone except Sungkyung, who begged to differ. However, her time with Joongki was less because Joongki was still Joongki. The very weird Joongki. The very weird Joongki, who started working full-time after Jennie left. And although he did, he juggled University life and work pretty well.

„She did you right.“ Jennie complimented with Mino’s knocks on her window getting louder.

„I had one more question to you but that idiot behind me totally destroys the mood for that certain question.“ Jennie frowned. „Alright, I will text you later.“

Hyuna smiled before Jennie hung up. It was still weird and although they did those facetime calls three times in a week it wasn’t the same. Plus having your best friend lie to you wasn’t nice either. Jennie probably meant well, when she told Hyuna that she wasn’t doing well either; although she pretty much did because Jennie was that pretty. She was always the more outgoing and attractive one. Boys were head over heels for her and it was no difference in Paris. She was just that kind of girl. Nonetheless, Hyuna loved her. However, she couldn’t stop thinking that Jennie would someday forget her. She lived in Europe now. She was most of the time outside. She didn’t need a geeky Hyuna anymore when she had foreigners as friends.

 

 

Hyuna closed the door behind her. Her mother left early for a job interview. Although her mother stopped working for the japanese man months ago they still did well money-wise. She didn’t know how her mother managed to but she did. They could even afford a car now. 

„Oh Em Gee… what are you wearing?!“ An all too familiar voice spoke from behind. Hyuna would have startled if she wasn’t too used to Sungkyung. „Decent clothes?“ Hyuna titled her head. „Hell no, are you wearing that.“ Hyuna deadpanned her. Although she liked Sungkyung.. she went sometimes overboard. Like when she threw her school uniform out of the window; promising her to buy her a new one, which fitted her better. According to her, the skirt was too long. The uniform didn’t arrive on time and Hyuna had to wear her casual clothes today. „The only reason I threw your uniform out was that you should wear something nice on your first day.“ Hyuna stared at her. The more time she spend with Sungkyung the less she understood her. „Your senior high school debut.“ "Didn't we already had that makeover session? I grew my hair out instead of cutting them and I have makeup on." Hyuna sighed.

Sungkyung pinched her nose bridge while muttering to herself. „Fine, I will pull all my strings to make you shine.“ Ignoring everything Hyuna just said. She facepalmed mentally.

„I have to be at school at 8 o’clock?“ Hyuna said. Sunkyung looked unfazed as she stared at her. „So?“ „I don’t have time for that.“ Hyuna raised a brow at the older but crazy girl. If she didn’t know how she did at school, Hyuna would think she was an airhead. „And besides don’t you have better stuff to do like University stuff?“ 

Sungkyung shrugged merely. „I attended supplementary lessons, read all the books we will go through this month and have already my notes prepared.“ 

„How can you have your notes prepared, when- You know what.. forget it. However, I am sorry Unnie I don’t have time to play today.“ Hyuna said and locked the front door before turning once again to Sungkyung, who was busy with her phone.

„So the Administration of your school just texted me. They will start the ceremony one and a half-hour later but to make sure that you’re not late we will go to a nearby salon.“ Sungkyung smiled before putting her phone back into her handbag.

„What?“ Hyuna stared at her. She did hear Sungkyung but she did not understand a single word she just said.

„We don’t have time for that how-did-you-do-that reaction. We still have to do your hair and stuff.“ Sungkyung said and pushed her towards the elevator.

 

 

„I still can’t believe you went and did that.“ Hyuna scowled while Sungkyung hummed. „You have to look absolutely nice today.“ „I get it. The first day is important.“ Hyuna muttered. 

„Your uniform will arrive tomorrow. They shortened it but it’s still appropriate.“ Sungkyung said. „When your hair grows longer we will take the extensions out.“ Sungkyung said. "I thought it was already long," Hyuna mumbled.

She looked at her from the side. Sungkyung was really pretty. Hyuna would even say she was glowing. She looked genuinely happy. And although she was kind of crazy, even crazier than Jennie in some aspects, she was thankful for her. She felt less lonely with her around.

„But still... it’s kind of fishy to me. Why would you go so far to do that makeover on me?“ Hyuna asked as she raised a brow.

Sungkyung stared at her for a moment before looking back at her phone. „I have no siblings or cousins or anything like that aside from Ah-In but you know Ah-In. So I kinda see you like my.. little sister.“ 

„Plus I only have shallow girlfriends. You appreciate my presence way more and besides… you along with my stupid boyfriend and Joongki know the real me.“ Sungkyung said just when the car they were sitting in stopped in front of Hyuna’s school. Hyuna was pressing her lips into a thin line while Sungkyung nodded towards her school. „You should head in.“ 

Hyuna didn’t say a word when she hugged Sungkyung. It took the older girl off-guard along with the driver. Hyuna then released her from the hug and smiled at the older girl. „Thanks, Unnie.“ 

Sungkyung smiled as she waved her goodbye. She was waving her until Hyuna was out of her sight. „Well, it’s not as sad as I said but that will do the job.“ Sungkyung shrugged.

„Should we pick her right up or should we leave them alone?“ She wondered before looking at her driver from the backseat.

„Miss Lee, that was very sweet of you.“ Sungkyung scowled when she looked at her driver through the rearview mirror. „Why are you looking at me like I never did something nice before?“ 

 

 

Hyuna ignored the stares she has gotten as she went to sit down in the hall. As she thought she was completely alone. She just hoped it would be different with her classmates.

„Woah. She looks seriously pretty.“ One muttered. „I bet she did something to her face over the summer.“ Another snickered.

„Jealous much, Naeun?“ A boy grinned. Hyuna heard all of them but she chose to ignore them. Hoping to find friends in her new class was now cancelled too. Especially with one of those not-ugly-girls Jennie mentioned earlier. 

„All right class.“ The vice-principal entered the class much to the dismay of the students. „Don’t worry I don’t want to be here as much as you that’s why I will leave you to your temporary homeroom teacher, as you know Mr Park had a snowboard accident in Sweden and thus he is unable to teach. Mr Song, you may enter now.“ Just as he said that went the vice-principal and left them to a very young and very good-looking homeroom teacher. 

The girls of the class stared at him along with Hyuna, who caught the new homeroom teacher looking at her. 

Turns out that Joongki just got upgraded to weird-neighbour-homeroom-teacher Joongki. 

 

 

Hyuna glanced around before looking back at Joongki. „How could you not tell me you were going to be my homeroom teacher?!“ Joongki, on the other hand, was still distracted by Hyuna’s appearance. „Did your hair grow longer?“ He titled his head. They indeed did not see each other for two straight weeks but her hair couldn’t grow that long in that short amount of time, right?

„Did you hit your head somewhere? Those are just hair extensions.“ Hyuna responded. „When did you get them? And are you wearing makeup? And what’s with this outfit? It’s not fitting for school!“

„I got them earlier when Sungkyung Unnie picked me up. I am wearing makeup but just minimal and the outfit is decent. It’s not against the dress code.“ However, it didn’t help erase Joongki’s frown. „And since when was stupid Joongki allowed to raise his voice against me.“ She joked. „It’s usually me, who does that.“ She said and was about to poke him when he prevented her from doing so. Hyuna startled when he held her wrist. „We’re at school, Hyuna.“ 

Hyuna stared at him. Joongki was somehow different than usual. And we’re not talking about his none-messy hairstyle and attire in whole. Hyuna brushed his hand off. „We indeed are, so you better let go of me.“

Hyuna stepped further

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter