TA: Jiu

The Artist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Thank heavens there isn’t much to pack, Taneggu thinks as she looks around the room after Miyoung is gone. It is now absolutely imperative for them to leave so the less to pack, the better. The sooner they leave, the sooner she is safe from Miyoung’s gender based medication. Six months’ worth of menstrual cramps. Just the thought of it has her cramping with dread.

She is folding her clothes when Heechul knocks and almost yells, “Can I enter?”

“Yes,” she answers.

She looks up from her clothes as he almost falls into the room, looking like a chicken that’s running for its life. “Bad news.”

Taenggu groans. “What now?”

“We’re stuck here.”

“You—” Heechul freezes and stares at her. “You don’t look sick at all.”

“Should I look sick?”

“The young mistress just told me you are sick. She said you can barely stand . . .”

“Oh, well . . . that’s because she told me something terrible just now and I was traumatized.”

“What did she tell you?”

Taenggu winces from the pain of embarrassment. “It has something to do with the pill she gave me and my monthly visits.”

“Do I want to know what it is about?”

“No, you don’t. But if we stay here, she might give me more pills that I shouldn’t be taking.”

“What do you mean?”

“The pill she gave me is for males. Females are not supposed to take it.”

Heechul’s hand clamps over his head. “Oh no.”

“Exactly. Oh no.”

“Oh no. This is bad. She just convinced me to stay here today. She even offered to bring Young Mistress Lee here for the interview.”

“What?” Taenggu is aghast. “No . . . we have to leave as soon as we can.”

“We don’t have a choice. This young mistress is set on having her way. And now that I think of it, she may be trying her best to keep you here.” Heechul sits with a sigh. “It’s all your fault.”

“My fault? How is any of this my fault?”

“You like her, don’t you? So you must have charmed her, unknowingly.”

“I—I didn’t—”

Heechul meets her eyes, his expression solemn. “You have to find a way to reject her completely. You have to strip all hope she has of being with you. And you’d better do it before she says anything to anyone in her family.”

All blood leaves Taenggu’s face at once. “Oh no . . .”

“Exactly.” Heechul stands slowly, looking ten years older suddenly. “I’ll try to help you. But we’re stuck here for the day. Let’s hope we’ll be able to leave tomorrow.”

Taenggu bites her lip and nods. She’ll have to find a way to push Miyoung away. No matter how much she wants to do otherwise.

=

Lim Dayu is right on time and three shichen later, Young Mistress Lee is brought to the garden, albeit, a different spot from Miyoung’s last week. Taenggu is secretly pleased to learn that Miyoung’s place is not to be shared but reminds herself she is supposed to cut all affections for the young mistress in case it rubs off on her. Young Mistress Lee is of Miyoung’s age and her youth is written all over her face. Dressed in silk and looking like sunshine in yellow, Young Mistress Lee strikes her as a vibrant person, the kind that finds joy in many things.

“Who decided to have your portrait commissioned?”

The young lady smiles at him, her eyes curling into crescents, not unlike the way Miyoung does. “I decided that. How can I pass up on the chance to be painted by a renowned artist? Besides, a friend of my family got her portrait done by you and has been raving about it since then.”

“So you want to get one done to ensure she won’t be the only one who has it?”

“Not entirely. I would love to shut her up with a portrait of mine own, but part of it is because I’m curious to see how you would paint me. I would like to find out if the way you see me differs from what I see in the mirror.”

“Interesting. Very interesting. Your reason is unique. But does it matter? The way I see you?”

“It doesn’t matter that much. But I would like to see a different perspective.”

“I can see how you are a friend of Young Mistress Hwang’s.”

Young Mistress Lee smiles. “Why do you say that?”

“I have met many young mistresses and I have heard many different reasons. But I personally feel that you and Young Mistress Hwang have greater thoughts than the average young lady.”

“Is this a good or a bad thing?”

Taenggu smiles. “It depends on who’s answering.”

“I’m talking to you now so you’re answering.”

Her smiles widens into a grin. “Since I’m answering, I’ll say it’s a good thing. I think it is important for females to have a mind of their own. It is important for females to be educated and be able to think for themselves.”

“Society is not ready for that.”

“That’s true. But females have to strengthen up to be able to fend for themselves.”

“Are you saying you don’t trust men to fend for women?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter