TA: Shiwu

The Artist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Miyoung wonders if she is losing her mind so much that her ability to process words has been affected as well.

“What did you just say?”

Lim Dayu shifts his hands and Miyoung spots uncertainty flashing in his countenance as he repeats the confession. Another hundred questions zip through her mind then but she picks just one to ask.

“Just to be clear, are you referring Taenggu as a man or . . .?”

Lim Dayu nods and takes quick look over his shoulder. “Young Mistress Hwang, please trust me. I’m on your side.”

“It must be hard for you. To discover Taenggu’s true identity.”

Lim Dayu shakes his head. “My love can only be a little more than admiration. I was never in the running for it. My gender is the biggest hindrance, obviously. On top of that, the way you defend her is so touching that I forget my own feelings so you don’t have to worry about me.”

“Dayu . . . is this why . . .”

“Since long ago, I had already resigned myself to a lonesome life. But I am thankful to have this family that accepts me and treats me well. I like being your protector. I am happy here.”

A swell catches in Miyoung’s throat as her heart goes out to the man she had practically grown up with. Even as children, he had always taken care of her and yet she had not known about the cause for his singlehood until now.

“Don’t be sad, Young Mistress Hwang. I am alright, really. I am still the same man you have always known. The same boy your father rescued from the street. And I will never forget your father’s kindness in giving my mother a proper burial.”

“I wish I had known. How many times I must have said things that upset you without knowing that you would be hurt.”

“You are very kind. Just like your father.”

Miyoung frowns. “My father is not kind.”

“He is.”

“If he were kind, he wouldn’t lock Taenggu up and refuse to let her go.”

“Your father is very angry because your virtue has been sullied. If you had not been found in Taenggu’s room, I doubt your father would mind her gender deceit as much.”

Miyoung hangs her head. “So it is my fault that Taenggu is in trouble now.” The sound of doors closing raises her head and she sees Lim Dayu striding back to her with determination written all over his face. He squats beside her and looks intently into her eyes. “What is it?”

Still holding her gaze, Lim Dayu says, “I can rescue her if you wish.”

“Really?” Miyoung can’t breathe. “How?”

“I will think of a way.”

“But I don’t want you to get into trouble either.”

Lim Dayu smiles. “Your father may not say it, but to him, I am part of the household, his estate and I would even go as far as to say he regards me as part of the family, in his own way. If I were to be caught, I would be subjected to punishment but he will not destroy me.”

“But I don’t want you to be punished.”

Lim Dayu shakes his head. “You must have a little more faith in me. Stop assuming I will get caught. Starting believing that I can rescue Taenggu and set her free.”

“Is it really possible?” Miyoung hopes against hope that there is hope yet.

“Trust in me. Believe in me. If rescuing Taenggu is your greatest wish, I will fulfil it for you.”

Miyoung nods without hesitation. “Saving Taenggu from going to court is my greatest wish.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter