TA: Si

The Artist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warm and glowing. Almost perfect. Taenggu is already up and about, setting up the long scroll of paper and getting her painting tools ready. Brush, colours, ink, inkstone. She has an idea of the kind of portrait she wants to paint of Miss Hwang but she wonders if her client will be receptive to the suggestion. The sky is clear this morning. Taenggu looks around her. The leaves on the trees are quivering. Sweet chirps are hidden in the trees, betrayed only by sudden, minute movements on the branches. Flowers spread their fragrance through the air, attempting to attract attention that will contribute to furthering their kind. What is it like to grow up in this garden? What is it like to run through this garden under the warm sun?

“Good morning, Artist Kim.”

Taenguu spins around and almost squawks in admiration. What a sight! The warm smile, warmer than the sun. The gentle eyes, gentler than a baby kitten. The young mistress of the estate is clad in soft pink silk and her hair pulled into neat patterns on her head, tumbling down her back. The raven black river is held fast by exquisite golden pins, enticing with their dangling ends. Exotic looking earrings hang from her earlobes, piquing Taenggu’s interest. Lips. Red lips. Taenggu’s hand almost rises to touch her own lips. She cannot remember a time when her mother had ever put on this many accessories, much less a time when she had ever looked this feminine.

“Good morning, Young Mistress Hwang.”

The young lady blushes. “Father tells me you just turned eighteen. I’m seventeen. It feels odd when you call me with such formality.”

“How should I address you then?”

“You can call me Miyoung. If you don’t mind, we can be friends.”

Why would I mind? I would love to be your friend. “Miyoung, I’m not sure if your father would approve . . .”

Miyoung pouts. Adorable. “My father wouldn’t mind. He doesn’t ever say no to me.”

A pampered child. Tread carefully, Taeyeon. “If that’s the case, then we’re friends.”

The smile that follows is sunshine and rainbows. “May I call you Taenggu?”

It is really difficult to suppress her own blush. “Of course, we’re friends now.”

“Okay, since we’re friends, let’s be comfortable. How do we do this? Do I sit or stand?”

“I imagine you sitting right there, under the tree, admiring the sky or birds in the trees. You would be smiling like a beautiful flower blooming in spring, full of life in your eyes. I would love to paint you like that.” Miyoung stares at her for a while and when she doesn’t say anything, Taenggu wonders if she had crossed a line somehow. “Did I say something wrong?”

“No,” Miyoung replies. “Nothing wrong. But so poetic. And artistic.”

“Ah.” Taenggu pauses, not trusting herself to speak.

Miyoung sits on the little red bench that Taenggu pointed at and tilts her head. “Like this?”

“Smile.”

Lips curl. “Like this?”

“Yes. What do you think? Does it suit you?”

“I’ll trust you on this.”

“Great. We’ll start now.”

=

Smiling for a portrait is harder than she thought it would be. Her lips are beginning to tire and her cheeks, cramp. Her back feels stiff. It is hard to keep still.

“You can relax now.”

“Oh, good.” Miyoung rolls her head and closes her eyes as she releases all the tension accumulated from sitting still for so long. Then she stands and walks towards Taenggu only to be stopped by the young man.

“Stop. Don’t come here.”

“But I would like to have a look at the painting.”

Taenggu shakes his head with stern eyes. “No. You can only look at it when it is done.”

Miyoung pouts. “But I want to see the process. I’m curious.”

“I’m sorry but I can’t allow you to see it before it’s completed.”

“Why not?”

“It is an artist’s pride.”

“An artist’s pride?”

“A true artist will only reveal their art when it is ready to be seen. When it is perfect. When their work is of the highest level. Right now, it is work-in-progress. I would love to accede to your request but I can’t accede to this.”

Miyoung puts on her best please-let-me-see-the-painting eyes. “Please?”

For a moment, it seems as though Taenggu is about to give in but the resolve slides back in and his eyes toughen up. “I’m sorry. I can’t allow you to. Please return to the bench. We shall continue.”

Pouting doesn’t work. Neither do her eyes come through. What is Taenggu’s yes button? What is it? Miyoung returns to her bench and assumes the pose again. She is resigned for today. But she will try again tomorrow. She will succeed eventually.

=

“How is the painting progressing?”

Miyoung pouts at the memory of Taenggu’s stubborn denial. “T—Artist Kim did not allow me to look at the painting. He said a true artist will not allow imperfection to be seen.”

“Mmm, Artist Kim has his principles. A man like this will see great success.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter