TA: San

The Artist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Food, lodging in the Hwang estate and ten taels.”

Miyoung puts on her best please-help-me-daddy eyes as her father reads from the paper Artist Kim had given her.

“Artist Kim must be very confident in his skill as a painter.”

“He is. And everything I have heard backs it up. Please, Father, I must have my portrait painted by Artist Kim.”

“What is his age this year?”

“I’m not sure. But he looks young.”

Her father rubs his chin as he thinks. “Ten taels is quite a lot to ask for.”

“But it will be a life-sized portrait. It will be a huge painting.”

“I see.”

“Please, Father. Please.”

“Fine. I will allow this. But I want to meet him before he moves in.”

Miyoung squeals in delight and hugs her father. “Thanks, Father.”

“Don’t forget about Young Master Fan’s visit later.”

“I’ll be ready.”

Her father smiles. “Of course, you’re my obedient daughter.”

“I’ll start preparing now.”

=

“Start packing,” Taenggu tells Heechul as soon as they return to their room in the inn.

“Why?”

“We’ll be moving soon.”

“What do you mean?” Heechul asks while trailing behind Taenggu. “What did the two of you talk about? And why didn’t you insist that I stay with you? What if you needed my help?”

“Calm down.” Taenggu sits at the table in the room and pours a cup of tea for her brother. “Drink some tea.”

“I can’t calm down if you don’t explain.”

“Sit down and drink. I’ll explain.” Taenggu waits for Heechul to take a sip of the tea before continuing. “Nothing bad happened. Don’t worry. I didn’t try to keep you there because the young mistress obviously wanted the coast to be clear. She wishes for privacy so I didn’t see the point in going against her wishes.”

“Fair enough. But if nothing bad happened, why do we have to pack?”

“Because when tomorrow comes, we will have a much better place to live in.”

“What do you mean? Stop speaking in riddles.”

“My price for the painting is ten taels, food and lodging at the Hwang estate.”

Heechul nods as Taenggu lists her price until the last item is mentioned. “What? Why? Why did you ask for that? It will put us in danger. What if they find out you’re actually a female? They’ll accuse you of fraud. They’ll report you to the authorities and you’ll get thrown in jail. You know how it is. These rich families can buy the verdict with little more than a handshake. Haven’t you learnt from the past? Have you forgotten how we got into this situation?”

“I haven’t forgotten. How can I possibly forget? It comes to my mind every single time I put on these clothes,” says Taenggu, tugging on the men’s overcoat hanging on her shoulders. “It comes in flashes each time I say my name. You’re not the one who has to change your name. You’re not the one who has to put on the disguise. How could I possibly forget?”

Heechul is rendered silent by her rant. But only for a moment. “Fine. So if you haven’t forgotten, why did you do something that puts us at risk?”

“I don’t know.”

“What do you mean, you don’t know? Don’t you have a reason for doing so?”

Her conversation with Young Mistress Hwang comes to mind. “No reason in particular.”

“You’re unbelievable. We’ve been so careful all this time.”

“If you’re so afraid, you don’t have to come with me. You can stay here and I’ll return after completing the portrait.”

“Have you lost your mind? You know I wouldn’t leave you in the lion’s den all by yourself. We’re all that’s left of the Kims. We can’t lose each other.”

Taenggu pats her brother’s hand to comfort him. “We won’t.”

Heechul sighs deeply. “Well then. Let’s pack.”

=

There is nothing wrong with Young Master Fan. In fact, Miyoung thinks he is better looking than Young Master He from last week. But like any other young man raised in a wealthy family, he treats her like a young lady of a respectable family. There is essentially nothing wrong with that either. It’s just that she wants more. She wants someone to sweep her off her feet. Someone who comes from another world. Someone who has travelled far and wide and seen more horizons.

Is it her? According to Hyoyeon, Young Master He is popular among the ladies and several of her round-table friends have expressed their wishes to be courted by him. The same goes for Young Master Fan. Hyexi specifically, had almost turned green with jealousy when she learned of his interest in Miyoung. Of course, she had then criticised him for some insignificant reason and went on to proclaim that Young Master Han was superior to Fan and he was the one she wanted. None of them were fooled however. The only person who believed Hyexi was probably Seohyun.

Miyoung cannot think of a reason why she does not feel attracted to Young Master Fan. Neither can she think of a reason to explain her lack of interest in the other young masters as well. They are all nice enough, but not good enough to spark a fire in her heart.

Beauty like the sunrise,
is but a fleeting momen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter