TA: Ershier

The Artist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The last thing Taeyeon wants to do is leave Miyoung behind with her erratic husband but Shao Linsi the merciless-loanshark-turned-ardent-fan would not give her a chance to tend to Miyoung. Horse and carriage fetch Dayu and her to the Shao estate, sprawled over hectares of land just outside of town.

“Mother!” Linsi yells as soon as he jumps off the carriage. He had been surprisingly quiet during the ride, saying little other than asking a few questions about the equipment they needed to bring along. When he seemed satisfied with their explanation, he had settled back and rested with a fledgling smile on his face. Now, he appears to be reenergized, striding purposefully into his home to present his trophy to his mother.

Taeyeon finds it mildly amusing. A loan shark is but another woman’s son after all. And the menacing, terrifying man she witnessed earlier is perhaps only a show put on for the job. Linsi’s henchmen lead them into the estate, past the great wooden gate bearing the family’s name ‘Shao’ above it. The building inside is not as extravagant and colourful as the wealthy estates in Shanghai and Hangzhou but it is suitably furnished with finely crafted chairs and other pieces of furniture.

知己知彼,百战百胜。

And right up in the middle of the wall, is a scroll with words of wisdom.

Know thyself and thy enemy and win every battle ever fought. Taeyeon thinks about how Linsi has utilized this nugget of wisdom. Indeed, targeting an addict like Master Fan is lucrative for him. It may have been Sun Tzu’s Art of War strategy but Linsi has used it well in his loan shark business too. Shaking her head, she wonders how she might make full use of this strategy to get Miyoung out of trouble indefinitely. After all, there’s nothing to stop Linsi from going back on his word after the painting is done and she is well aware of the fact.

Linsi reappears with his mother in tow. Her brows are knitted and she doesn’t look happy to be dragged out to the main gate but Linsi utters her name and her face shifts. Linsi’s mother’s arms reach out for Taeyeon and she is surprised by the strength in the old lady’s hands.

“Come.”

With just one word, Taeyeon is swept into the inner hall and sat down on a redwood chair.

“Mmm, you are a fine looking woman,” says the old lady, “and blessed with the gift of painting from the heavens too.”

“You flatter me.”

“No, no. Your beauty is true, both inside and out. But you must be married by now, or I would have you as my daughter-in-law.”

Taeyeon blinks, taken aback by her shower of affection. “But you barely know me . . . and yes, I am married to this fine gentleman,” she clarifies in a hurry, pointing at Dayu who hasn’t been offered a seat.

“Ah, pardon an old lady. I am too eager to find my fourth son a wife.”

“He is still young—”

“Not young, not young. His fifth and sixth brothers have married; his seventh brother is about to marry. Linsi is years behind.”

“I see, I’m afraid I am unable to help you with that, but I can paint you a portrait, if that is any consolation to you.”

The old lady claps her hands in delight and Taeyeon is reminded of the girl-she-once-knew. “Yes, I would love it.” She casts a look of love and irritation at Linsi. “At least he is good for something.”

Taeyeon decides right then, that Linsi’s mother is a lovable woman and her heart warms up considerably. “Your son loves you. That’s why he asked me to come and paint you. Now, let my husband set up the equipment and we shall get started.”

Over the next shichen, Taeyeon paints, focused and engrossed in nothing by the art. Her brush sweeps across the canvas and bit and bit, the beginnings of a portrait manifest before her eyes. Then, she stops. With a promise to return the next day to continue the painting, Taeyeon leaves with a smile and a wave to the old lady but her heart has flown ahead to the brokenness of the household in which Miyoung suffers.

“Do you think Miyoung will be okay?” she asks Dayu, as soon as they’re on their way.

“Don’t worry. Master Fan won’t hurt her.”

“He’s hurt her before. He might do it again.”

“She’ll be fine. She will.”

=

When the carriage comes to a grinding halt on the road outside the Fans’ estate, Taeyeon nearly attempts to jump off, so hasty she is to know if Miyoung is alright. And as soon as her feet touch the ground, Taeyeon is off like a bullet, dashing into the house. But she comes to an abrupt halt at the sight before her. There, on the floor of the main hall, is Miyoung on her knees, stopping Master Fan from leaving.

“How far can you run? They will hunt you down!”

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out what the scene is about and Taeyeon turns to Dayu with fury bubbling like lava on the verge of eruption. He pats her shoulder and steps forward.

“Master Fan, where are you planning on going?”

With eyes red as blood, Master Fan snarls, “It’s none of your business.”

“I’m only trying to make sure you will be safe.”

Master Fan turns on Dayu. “You’re going to tell the loan sharks. I’m a scholar. I’m not stupid.”

“If I were planning on turning you in to loan sharks, would I have paid the loan shark off in the first place?”

“You must be stupid if you think that’s the only one.”

Taeyeon’s eyes bulge in a rude shock. “There’s more?”

“Now that you paid one off, the rest will come to collect. But I am not going to be here. You can stay here and pay off my loans, idiots.”

“Now, look here, you bastard,” Taeyeon begins to say but she doesn’t get to say anymore because Master Fan shoves her away and she falls with a shriek. Dayu and Miyoung rush to her side then, but by the time they look up again, Master Fan is gone, with his fully loaded sack. Tears renewed, well up in Miyoung’s eyes again and she hangs her head in shame.

“I am so sorry you had to see that.”

“M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter