TA: Er

The Artist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The bed has plenty of room for Taenggu to roll around on, something that she likes to do before falling asleep. It is a bed that allows her to enjoy her sleep, but for some reason, she does not feel truly rested when she wakes up the next morning. In fact, the urge to yawn is the first thing that greets her upon opening her eyes.

“Rise and shine, sleepy head.”

Feeling rebellious, Taenggu closes her eyes instead. “It’s not even midday yet.”

“Have you forgotten about the interview? You have to get dressed. And fast.”

The artist rolls over with a groan. Then yelps as a rod-like thing lands on her bum.

“Get up. I am your older brother after all. Or have you forgotten all about it?”

“I’m up. Getting right up,” Taenggu grumbles while rubbing her bum. “Which brother would bully his sister like this.”

“If you want a taste of what real bullying is like, I’m more than happy to demonstrate.”

“It’s alright. You don’t have to.” Taenggu shuffles to the luggage and sighs at the pathetic choices. “I’m going to change. Right now.”

“Good. I’ll see you downstairs.”

Looking at the dark blue set, Taenggu knows that it is the best choice for today. A quick check with the people in the inn the night before revealed that the Hwangs, while they aren’t the richest in the area, are among the ten richest families. Taenggu knows they will be able to command a higher price if they don’t look like they care for it. A handsome dark blue outfit will aid them in projecting that illusion.

Then begins the laborious process of ensuring that nobody finds out about her ‘assets’. Once upon a time, she had thought that her assets were a bit on the small side, but in her current situation, smaller is better. The cloth that wraps around the chest constricts but does not suffocate and is not unbearable discomfort, however the same cannot be said should her assets have been bigger. Through this, Taenggu learns that anything and everything can be a double-edged sword. Whether something turns out to be a blessing or a curse, really depends on the timing. And the perspective associated with a moment in time.

But try as she may, it is hard for her to agree that pretending to be a man in order to earn a living through her gift in painting is a blessing that has come out of the situation. It is a consequence that she wishes she could undo. That she would give anything to be able to undo. But there is no way to stop life. Life continues. And so must she.

=

“You are really good at taking your own sweet time,” Heechul grumbles when Taenggu finally makes it to the table downstairs. “Eat.” He pushes a bun and a cup of tea to her. “Drink.”

Taenggu does so obediently. It will not do to draw unnecessary attention to themselves by fooling around with Heechul. Lim Dayu arrives just as Taenggu swallows the last of the tea and bun. Sweeping in like the wind, his full set of pure white makes for quite a dashing appearance.

“Good afternoon, young Sirs. Are you ready to leave? The horse and carriage are at the entrance.”

Heechul picks up the painting tools and supplies. “We are ready.”

=

Taenggu is helped onto the carriage by Heechul as usual. And as she settles on the seat, she can’t help but praise herself for thinking of such a suitable role for her brother. Certainly, by making him the agent, no one would question why he is carrying all the painting materials. Neither do people question why he is helping her with this and that.

Lim Dayu enters the carriage after Heechul and sits opposite Taenggu. Their shoes touch and Taenggu pulls her foot in, away from his.

“Oh, my apologies.” Lim Dayu shifts a little to the side.

“Don’t mind him. He tends to be more sensitive when his mind is on painting,” Heechul says, by way of explanation.

“Ah, I see.” Lim Dayu smiles. “That is understandable, of course. Such talent is rare. Our young mistress is extremely delighted to have the chance to be interviewed. It seems the excitement got to her and she did not get any sleep last night for she looked very tired this morning.”

Taenggu cannot help but heave a heavy sigh in her heart at that. Yet another lady with her head in the clouds who needs to be entertained and complimented. It is all part of the package, Taenggu knows and understands, but after months and months of pulling off the same charming act on these young women, she is quite ready to retire from it all. In fact, if it weren’t for her love of painting, she might have lost it completely by now.

Or not. With the way things are, she would have to disguise herself as a man anyway, or her brother would have a hard time protecting her from ill intentions. And how would they earn a living if not by painting? Her brother is not cut out for manual labour. And while he has been taught how to run a shop, there were no bosses willing to pay him well enough. Not in their town. And not in the next town.

This is really the best plan they could think of. And this is the only plan they have right now.

=

It is a little chilly and Taenggu is glad for the overcoat that men wear when they are out of the house. Lim Dayu and Heechul are having a conversation that she has no interest in joining in. instead, she turns and looks out the window of the carriage. Buildings hobble past accompanied by the sound of hooves on the ground. The smile on a vegetable seller’s face. The green of the leaves. The faded sign of a medicinal shop. She picks out details and stores them as they pass by, a habit that has followed her since childhood. A habit that serves her well when she paints.

The estate is located half a shichen away from the inn and Taenggu gradually falls asleep only to be shaken up by Heechul.

“Wake up. We’re at the estate.” Heechul clucks in disgust. “And wipe the drool from your mouth.”

Sitting up and blinking, Taenggu recalls what they are here for. Yes, the interview. The Hwangs. The daughter. Got it. She extracts a handkerchief and dabs and chin. How embarrassing.

“Please follow me.” Lim Dayu leads the way and they follow.

The waiting room is an ostentatious display of the Hwang’s wealth. The colours. The gold. The drapes. The calligraphy. Taenggu looks at everything and is unimpressed. Not because it isn’t rich enough. But rather, having been to as many waiting rooms as they have, there is nothing new about this anymore.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter