TA: Sanshi

The Artist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Almost one hundred days later . . .

“I find it hard to believe that this is actually happening.”

“Life is full of surprises.”

“You were supposed to get rid of Madam Mina, not get involved with her . . .”

“You were supposed to get Dayu away from trouble, not get him into more.”

“Zhouwei is not trouble, unlike Madam Mina.”

“She is highly misunderstood. Deep down inside, she is lonely.”

“Oh my heavens, I did not just hear that from my very own brother.”

“You should not be judging me when I am not judging you. Did I not welcome Dayu’s sister with open arms?”

“Fair enough. I shall give Madam Mina the benefit of the doubt but if she shows the slightest bit of romantic interest in Dayu again, she is out.”

Taeyeon almost blanches when her brother puffs out his chest in confidence. “Not to worry, she is totally in love with me. We are very happy together.”

“Congratulations are in order, I guess.”

“Mhm, mhm. It might be sooner than you think.”

Taeyeon’s jaw drops. “Oh my heavens . . .”

=

“Heechul might be marrying Madam Mina soon?”

Taeyeon nods.

“Why aren’t you objecting to this?”

Meeting Dayu’s eyes, Taeyeon replies, “My brother is old enough to choose his own wife and according to him, it seems as though we have misunderstood her.”

“Love is blind.”

“Would you say the same while looking at Zhouwei?”

Dayu falls silent.

“Exactly. My brother made a valid point when he asked me not to judge him when he didn’t judge us.”

“I guess you’re right. Heechul has welcomed Zhouwei and Miyoung without a trace of negativity. So we should support him as well.”

“Anyway, this is what life in Shanghai is going to be like—unconventional, a little crazy, but happy too.”

Dayu smiles. “Happy indeed.”

From behind them, a voice rings, “What are you so happy about?”

Taeyeon turns to the new entry they smuggled into Shanghai as Dayu’s sister and smiles at her. “We are happy with our life here in Shanghai. Are you, Miyoung?”

Miyoung nods and her eyes shine like the sun at its brightest hour. “Very happy. Life with you will always be better than what it really is.”

A hand slips into Taeyeon’s fitting in there like a crab in its shell. It brings a smile to her lips and she gives the hand a quick squeeze. “My thoughts exactly.”

Dayu grins at them. “I’m glad to see my wife and sister getting along so well. It’s a blessing to have such harmony in the household.”

Taeyeon giggles. “Aren’t you a lucky man.”

“Yes, I am.”

=

“Good afternoon, how may I—” Miyoung halts in her greeting upon seeing the familiar face. It has been many years, but this face hasn’t changed much at all. “S-Sooyoung?”

“Miyoung?”

“Oh my heavens!”

“What are you doing here? Are you working for the artist? Did you marry the scholar?”

Miyoung smiles and shakes her head. “It’s a long story. You could say I’m working for the artist. I did marry the scholar but he turned out to be a disaster waiting to run away.”

Sooyoung’s eyes are bigger and wider than ever. “My husband and I are only here in Shanghai on business so we are not staying for long. But we must meet over dinner. We must. I want to hear all about your story.”

“Yes, I would love to hear about your story too.”

“How about the restaurant beside the bridge? My husband and I are staying in the inn nearby.”

“I know that restaurant. It is an excellent choice.” Miyoung grins. “You are still as good at picking restaurants to meet at as before.”

Sooyoung giggles. “Life is food. Hence it is important that the food we eat is good.”

“Your wisdom is profound. But do enlighten me, wise one, are you here to get a portrait done?”

“Yes. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter