TA: Ershiba

The Artist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minyoung travels with them for the first half of their journey back to Shanghai. But on the second leg of their travel, Minyoung will shed her disguise and resume her identity as Miyoung. That is the plan agreed upon. But the tricky thing is how they will deal with their accommodation for the nights to come. Clearly, Taeyeon will have to room with Dayu since they are officially a married couple. And Minyoung will have to share her room with Zhouwei. None of them are for this arrangement, however, so a plan has to be devised for them to swap rooms after dark.

Minyoung is amused by Zhouwei’s careful treatment of her, now that he knows her true identity. He does not step close to her, choosing instead to take the other end of the room as his space, giving her a wide berth. He also rushes to open the door for her, carries her bags in, and upon settling down their belongings, bustles to make tea for her as well.

“Zhouwei, you really don’t have to do all these things for me.”

“No, no, no. You are Madam Lim’s—er, friend. And you’re a lady too. It is only right that I take good care of you.”

“Please, sit down and have a rest. You have been hard at work all day while all I have done is sit in the carriage and doze.”

“Master Minyoung, you are too kind. You are all such good people. I am such a lucky lad.”

“The people you should be thanking are next door. Dayu and Taeyeon are the kindest people I have ever met.”

“You are completely right. Master Lim is the only man who helped me when I was in trouble. And Madam Lim welcomed me to her household without question. No other estate would take me in but they did. I am eternally grateful.”

Minyoung looks hard at Zhouwei, feeling conflicted. Hearing Zhouwei gush about Dayu’s kindness makes her wonder . . . “Have you ever thought about leaving the Lim household to build a future?”

Zhouwei smiles as he shakes his head. “Master Minyoung, if you know the story of my past, you will not ask such a question.”

Minyoung perks up. She loves listening to stories. “I would like to hear about it. Would you please tell me?”

“It is quite a long story.”

“We have time. The sky is not dark enough for us to move yet and I would like to know more about you too.”

Zhouwei grins, looking younger when he does. “Alright, I will tell you. I was working for another family at first.” His grin fades at this point and his expression grows solemn. “But I was caught in the Young Master’s room one night and they almost killed me but I managed to escape.”

“Were the two of you . . . when you were caught . . . were you . . .?”

“A-Almost . . .”

“They almost killed you?” Minyoung shudders when she thinks of how close Taeyeon might have come to dying as well if she had not escaped with Dayu’s help.

“They beat me badly, then threw me into the shed and locked it. But they did not know of the loose planks at the back so I managed to drag myself out and climb over the wall before morning came.”

“Oh my heavens. How did you get out of your town?”

“I had in a wagon belonging to a farmer. I knew he would visit the next town in the morning. It was his weekly trip.”

“That was timely for you.”

“It was. Without him, I would never have made it to the next town. My bloodied appearance would have alarmed people if I were seen but thanks to his pit stop, I got out unseen and washed in the river nearby.”

“All of your pasts are fraught with hardship. In comparison, my life has not been as hard. I have nothing but admiration for your will to survive.”

“Master Minyoung, if the same happened to you, and I pray it will never, you will fight hard to survive as well.”

“I don’t know if I can do what you did. Or what Dayu and Taeyeon did. You are all resilient and strong.”

“Will you tell me more about Master Lim?”

Minyoung smiles. “What do you want to know?”

“Everything. What he went through. Master Lim said he used to work for your family. He said you grew up together. I want to know what he was like.”

“Sure, I will tell you.”

=

A soft knock on the door ends their conversation. Minyoung looks to the door but Zhouwei is already there, opening it with caution. In comes Dayu and Minyoung leaps to her feet.

“Is it safe now?” she asks.

Dayu nods. “The coast is clear. Walk briskly.”

Minyoung waits no longer.

=

Taeyeon sits in the dark waiting. She is anxious, nervous and impatient all at the same t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter