TA: Ershiyi

The Artist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Something is very wrong. Taeyeon looks to Dayu in her moment of anxiety and he looks just as worried as she is. The front doors are ajar and shouts can be heard from the road outside—not exactly what she had been expecting when she arrived at the arranged time to continue the painting. The shouts are harsh and intimidating, even from this distance. What is happening in there?

“Wait.” Dayu stops her from entering. “It’s not safe for you.”

“But—”

“Get help.”

“From?”

“Take the horse and carriage. Get any help you can. Fast.”

Taeyeon nods, knowing there’s little time to lose. “Stay safe, Dayu.”

He nods and she’s off, going in the direction of the next household.

=

This is the end. Surely, this is the end. Miyoung huddles in a corner, shaking in fear. These men are not strangers to her. They have been here before. But each time they come, they only turn scarier and scarier. More and more violent. They had taken furniture away the last time they came. And some paintings too. But this time, they don’t seem interested in taking anymore of the Fan’s valuables.

“You had two weeks to pay us back. Seems to me you did not take me seriously.” The man bends over her husband who is sprawled on the floor, shivering as though he had been doused with ice cold water. “What do you have left to offer me?” Turning shrewd eyes to Miyoung, he flashes a smile that is more likely to induce nightmares than happy thoughts. Miyoung turns away quickly, shuddering inside, but that doesn’t stop the other two bulky men from grabbing her arms.

“Please,” she begs, “please let me go.”

“Not her,” says Master Fan. “Take anything but her.”

“You can’t stop me from taking your wife. She’s the only thing of value in this God forsaken place right now.”

“Jewellery. I have jewellery.”

“You held back from me the last time,” the man growls, shrewd eyes hardening into the beady eyes of a snake. “Show me the jewellery.”

Miyoung does not dare to move a muscle as Master Fan struggles to stand. The man strides towards her and squats to meet her at face level, increasing her anxiety level two-fold.

“I haven’t introduced myself. I am Shao Linsi, the fourth out of eight brothers in my family. As you know, I am a loan shark,” he says, smiling like a hungry shark, “and I always get more than my money back.”

Miyoung is trembling so much that her teeth are beginning to chatter but she is spared from talking by the return of her husband with a handful of jewellery. Pearly necklaces, golden hairpins. She had no idea her husband had stashed these away somewhere. But one of the designs catches her eye and she screams, “No! That’s your mother’s! That’s your heirloom!”

“Shut up and mind your own business!” Master Fan yells but he is silenced by a cold glare from the loan shark.

Linsi picks out the pearl necklace. “This?”

Miyoung shakes her head. “The golden hairpin.”

He picks out a golden hairpin with numerous precious stones set into its frame. “This?”

“Y-Yes.” Was it a mistake to mention the heirloom?

“Heirlooms are precious, aren’t they?” Linsi paces the floor between them, holding the hairpin in one hand. “So what will you be willing to do to keep it?”

Miyoung realizes then that she should not have spoken. But the deed has been done and time cannot be reversed. “Please give us one more chance. You can take it if we can’t pay up the next time.”

“Next time, next time, next time. It’s always next time. Do you know how many times I hear the phrase ‘next time’? Do you know that it never happens? No. I want a substitute.” Linsi grabs her chin and runs the tip of the hairpin down her cheek. “You are worth something. I can take you and leave the hairpin here.”

“No! You cannot take her! She’s my wife!”

“She’s a beautiful woman who would look much better if she followed the right man.” Linsi takes three quick strides and shoves Master Fan back onto the floor with his foot. “As you can see, I will be able to make her happier than you can.”

“No, please. Take the heirloom.”

“I’m surprised. You seem to treasure your wife a lot but why does she look so terrible? You’re weak. You can’t take good care of her.”

Miyoung screams when the two men hoist her up by her arms and march her across the room to Linsi. He takes her face in his palms and leans close, lips almost touching. “Don’t worry, beautiful. I know how to make a woman happy. You’ll be very happy tonight.” His crooked smile sends even more panic into her mind and she struggles against the hands holding her to little effect. “Don’t be scared. I’m very gentle at night,” he says and launches into an unbridled guffaw.

“Bastard!”

A body hurtles at Linsi, knocking him over. Miyoung gasps in shock when she realizes it’s her husband. Linsi is back up on his feet in a second and he roars with rage. “You worthless git!”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter