TA: Wu

The Artist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Miyoung sets out to the garden the next morning, determined to get some answers. Taenggu is already there but he isn’t alone.

“Brother, you’re here.”

An easy-going smile greets her. “Since you’re here, I’m sure Artist Kim wants to get started so I’ll take my leave.” Turning to Taenggu, her brother says, “We’ll continue our conversation over lunch.”

Taenggu nods and smiles. “I’ll look forward to it.”

“Don’t you have to go to the shop today?” Miyoung asks her brother.

“Not today. I’m reviewing some documents at home.”

“So that’s why . . .”

“Well, I’ll leave the two of you to get on with the portrait. Be a good girl, little sister.”

“I’m always a good girl.” Miyoung eyes Taenggu as she speaks and catches a glimpse of a little smirk. What does that mean? Does he think she isn’t a good girl? Or is his reaction driven by amusement? Miyoung does not know what to make of Taenggu. She has never had this sort of problem with other men before. Young Master He and Fan were easy to figure out—the former is preoccupied with making money, the practical sort while the latter is romantic and idealistic; living with his head in the clouds.

Taenggu on the other hand is practical and poetic at the same time. His price for the portrait displayed the shrewdness of his business acumen, ensuring a deal that allowed him to make a tidy profit without putting her father off. Yet the way he described how he envisioned her portrait . . . was nothing short of dreamy and romantic. And, he is well-travelled, a worldly man.

She would never have imagined this could happen—to be out of her depth when it comes to Taenggu. He is like a wide expanse of unexplored forest, hiding secrets in the darkness. But she will not give up so easily. She is not going to back down and remain ignorant.

“Do I need to pose today?”

“No, you don’t have to.”

“Alright, does it mean I can talk to you?”

“You’re welcome to do so.”

“Why are you discouraging me from travelling the world when you are doing it too?”

“Your mind is still on this issue.”

“Yes, it is. I don’t understand why you would make it sound like a bad thing when you are doing it and doing well.”

“There’s nothing wrong with it. I’m not against it either. There’s just no reason to leave this place. You have everything here—family, friends, a long line of suitors.”

“But there is so much more out there.”

“You are already living in bliss yet you do not realize it.”

“How would you know if I am living in bliss or not?”

“Your brother just told me all about you. You have a group of friends you grew up with that you are meeting today, in the afternoon. Your father who has doted specially on you since your birth because you were an unexpected surprise after a few years of trying. Your married sister who sends letters and gifts to you every month. And even though your mother has passed away, you had a loving relationship with her. Not forgetting your brother who is obviously taking good care of you as well.” Taeng halts his painting and his gaze grabs hold of Miyoung. “Don’t all these things account for bliss in your life?”

“What about you? Don’t you have all these things? Yet you are travelling far and wide.”

Taenggu looks like he tasted something bitter but it passes quickly. “You should not assume that everyone has what you have.”

Miyoung is silenced. Her mind is in a whirl. What does Taenggu mean by that? “Which of these things don’t you have?” she asks carefully.

“I don’t really want to talk about it when I’m painting.”

Miyoung can only sit and stare. The conversation is clearly over for the day.

=

“I am so jealous that I might faint but tell me, what is it like, being painted by him?”

Miyoung ponders over the question for a moment. “It has a calming effect. Sitting in front of him, watching his brush flying over the paper is enjoyable. Sometimes he paints long s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter