TA: Ershisi

The Artist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There is nothing like a little dose of real life to jolt the bravado out of a strong start. Miyoung finds herself reluctant to step out from their room when the time comes. Even though she looks strikingly different from the female version of herself. Without the powders and colours on her face, she looks fresh-faced, her age reduced by a few years. And with her hair brushed back and done up like a man’s is, the shape of her face seems to have changed also. But she is still worried. She is still scared. She can only imagine what it must have been like for Taeyeon back then, much younger than she is now, forced to take on a disguise and travel over great distances with only a brother to protect her.

A cool hand slips into hers and squeezes. Taeyeon lifts her hand and smiles. Not a single word passes between them yet no meaning is missed. With those kind eyes, Taeyeon is telling her to be strong. Taeyeon is telling her to be brave. That she will be well protected. Miyoung understands it all and finds it to be both heartening and funny at once. She’s the one disguised as a man. If there’s any protecting to be done, it should be done by her. Or rather, him.

“I’m ready,” she announces out loud, and pushes the doors open. Men’s clothes are a lot more comfortable, she muses, as she steps out of the room and turns around. “Let’s go.”

Taeyeon and Dayu give her reassuring smiles and together, they descend the stairs to find food to feed themselves. They face a few questions about the addition of Minyoung to their company from the owner of the inn but those are easily dealt with. They had sent for one more man to help them with their business from Shanghai is the simple explanation and the owner’s curiosity is extinguished.

“You have such a good looking helper; be careful of the girls who might try to jump him,” says the owner with a laugh.

Miyoung looks nervously at Taeyeon and Dayu but they are chuckling away.

“Minyoung is loyal to us. He won’t run away with a damsel without telling us but thanks for your concern,” Dayu replies.

The owner nods and leaves with their orders and Miyoung finds herself dissolving into a fit of girlish giggles which she tries to turn into rugged chuckles. It is only when the food arrives and they dig in, that Miyoung is reminded of her father’s letter to Dayu.

“Have you read the letter my father wrote to you?”

Dayu nods. “I read it last night.”

Miyoung stops eating and looks at him. “Well, what does it say?”

Taeyeon puts down her bun and listens too.

“Do you want the good news first or the bad news.”

Nerves arise and Miyoung bites her lip as she thinks. “Bad news.”

“Okay, there is no bad news. And that is the good news.”

“W-What?”

“It doesn’t really count as bad news but I was half-hoping he might have shed some light on who my parents are and he didn’t.”

“Oh . . .” Her heart sinks as childhood memories of Dayu drawing his parents in sand surface.

“Your father wrote in the letter telling me how I was abandoned near his estate. He could not trace me to anyone so he decided to raise me as a member of the estate.” Dayu closes his eyes. “He also said I am like his half-son. He said he misses having me, serving him.” A great sigh heaves his chest. “I’ve always carried a little hope that your father knew who my parents might be, or at least have a clue about them. Wishful thinking, clearly. Your father is as clueless as anybody else.” He pauses, before correcting himself. “Was.”

Taeyeon reaches for his hand and wraps it in hers.

Miyoung hangs her head to hide her tears. “Dayu . . .”

“There is a piece of good news though.”

“What is it?” Miyoung looks up now, curious.

“He included a bank note worth a hefty sum.”

Miyoung smiles. It is just like her father to repay people in this way. “He really did love you like a son.”

“Well, it was a sort of insurance. He wrote that if you managed to meet me one day and if I found you to be in trouble, the bank note would be used to get you out safely. And if I found you to be living well and happily, he asked that I keep the bank note and live well. So right now, I think the bank note would belong to you, not me.”

Miyoung shakes her head vigorously. “No. No, I won’t let you do that. You’ve already paid my hu—his debts to save me. The bank note is yours.”

“It is mostly Taeyeon’s wealth though.”

Taeyeon had remained silent on this matter, choosing to sit back quietly. But when Dayu makes the comment, she objects, “It is our wealth. We are a team. That was the agreement when we got married. It would be half-half. So in the spirit of being a team, the bank note should belong to all three of us. We will use it if necessary, until all three of us leave this place and return to Shanghai.”

Miyoung turns to Taeyeon. “Shanghai?”

“Yes. Shanghai.”

“But—”

“There will be no buts.” Taeyeon has never looked more serious and determined. “We will go back to Shanghai together once Madam Shao’s painting is completed.”

“But how will you explain my appearance?”

Taeyeon smiles. “You will not wear a disguise in Shanghai. You will be yourself, and we will say you are Dayu’s sister.

“My sister?”

“His sister?”

“That way, you will be on equal standing with us. And it will not be odd for people to see us together.”

And I can be close to you without being questioned . . . Miyoung holds that thought close to her heart and hope swells in her chest.

“It is a good plan,” says Dayu.

Miyoung allows a smile then. “Yes, it is a good plan.”

=

As they draw closer and closer to the Shao estate, Miyoung’s worries intensify.

“What if Master Shao recognizes me?”

“He won’t. You look very different,” Taeyeon states.

“But my face, however different, might trigger something in him. I think it is best that I don’t meet him at all.”

Taeyeon looks to Dayu. “What do you think?”

“Miyoung ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter