TA: Shiqi

The Artist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Five years later . . .

“Father . . . you will get better. The best physician is treating you now.” Tears are free falling from Miyoung’s eyes as she holds her father’s clammy hand.

“Miyoung, I know how to take care of myself. You have to leave this city while you still can.”

“But I can’t leave you here. I won’t.”

“My dear daughter, I know you love me. But the enemy troops will attack this city soon. You have to leave before they arrive.”

“Father . . . don’t ask me to leave you here . . . please . . .”

Old Master Hwang smiles, but there is no happiness in it, only sadness. “As your father, it seems I am always asking you to leave the people you love behind. For that, I am sorry.”

“Father . . . what . . . are you saying . . .?

“First it was your mother. I had to ask you to let her go. Then it was your sister when I sent her to the next town to marry.”

“None of these were your fault. You don’t have to feel guilty about it.”

Old Master Hwang shakes his head slowly. “There is one that was my fault . . .”

“Father, there isn’t—” The remaining words die in . There is one incident that was partly her father’s fault. The one that she cannot forget. The one that she does not want to forget. But why is the matter on her father’s mind?

“There is. Because of my refusal, you lost him forever. And I . . . I lost him too. I should not have been so ruthless with the artist. I should not have gone so far to punish you and Dayu for your transgressions.”

“Father . . .” Miyoung is confused. She may have committed an offence but Dayu certainly had not—until he helped the artist to escape.

Old Master Hwang sighs. “I had known all along, Miyoung.”

“What . . . did you know?”

“Here you are, still protecting him till today. My dearest daughter has such a loyal heart.” Old Master Hwang smiles. “But I have always known the truth about Dayu.”

Miyoung gasps. “You knew?” Her mind rewinds and replays the scene between her father and herself. “Then you would have known I was lying about Dayu. Why didn’t you expose my lies there and then?”

“In the game of chess, there is a strategy that involves allowing your opponent to take one of your chess pieces in exchange for a more advantageous move. I did not expose your lies because you had promised to marry Master Fan. There was no point in exposing anything more because it would only harm our relationship.”

“W-When did you know?”

“I knew about him right from the start. There were signs as he grew older that were hard to miss. But it suited my purpose. That way, I could trust him with you. And he repaid my trust with his loyalty. His iron clad faithfulness had never let me down. He made you his priority because you are my priority. He made sure you were happy because my wish is to give you happiness.” Master Hwang sighs again. “I should not have driven you into a corner. I should have known you would ask Dayu to help you and he would never say no to you.” Another sigh. “Because of this, you cried in your room, every single night for a whole week before your tears dried up.”

“It has been years,” says Miyoung, even though the resurgence of memories of certain people makes her nose grow stuffy. “I’ve already let all my grudges go. I understand why you felt you had to do it. And Dayu’s departure was hard on you too.”

“Miyoung, tell me honestly. Are you happy with Master Fan?”

Honestly? “He treats me well.”

“That does not answer my question. Does he make you happy?”

“I have no complaints.” As someone once said . . . “I am fortunate enough. There are times when I am happy.”

Old Master Hwang nods. “I am very happy to hear your honest answer. At least, it was not all in vain.”

Miyoung is holding her father’s hand and tearing when the physician enters the room. “Sir, it would be better for you to rest more.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter