TA: Ershiqi

The Artist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For a moment, it occurs to Taeyeon that it would be hilarious to paint the expression splashed across both Dayu and Zhouwei’s faces. The two men that had given Minyoung such a fright are now dressed, albeit rather hastily, and their eyes are looking anywhere but her.

Zhouwei is standing slightly behind Dayu, no doubt fearful of what is to come. The poor man does not know the truth about Dayu and Taeyeon and she is contemplating their next step when he caves and crumbles to his knees.

“I am so sorry. We got drunk and fell into a muddy patch and Master Lim said he didn’t want to go back dirty so I took him here to wash his clothes and I decided to wash mine too then it got cold so we took shelter at the back of the stable because Da Shu is like a furnace a-and w-we . . . fell asleep.”

Taeyeon turns to Dayu. “Is it true?”

“No.”

“Master Lim!” Zhouwei protests, his voice tightened by stress and panic.

“You told me to be careful, but I got careless,” Dayu continues saying.

“Master Lim! Please!”

Taeyeon steps towards the anxious young man. “Zhouwei, do you have feelings for Dayu?” Shaking his head violently, Zhouwei denies it vehemently, but Taeyeon presses on. “Do you like being with Dayu? Do you find him charming and attractive?”

“Madam Lim . . .” Zhouwei is almost sobbing now, “please . . . please don’t throw me out.”

“Why would I throw you out?”

“W-Why would . . . w-what do you mean? I-I have committed a terrible s-sin.”

“Is there anything wrong with a man having feelings for another man?”

Zhouwei looks up at Taeyeon, his eyes reflecting the confusion unfurling inside. “I-I . . .”

“We are all humans. It is possible to have feelings for each other.” Taeyeon smiles. “Even if you are both men.”

“B-But Master Lim and Madam Lim . . . you are married.”

“My dear wife, it is perhaps not in our best interests to discuss this here,” says Dayu.

Taeyeon nods in agreement. “Prepare the carriage. We shall find a place far from the eyes and ears of man.”

=

Half a shichen later, a distance from the hustle and bustle of the town, the four of them sit in the carriage, facing each other. Poor Zhouwei still looks thoroughly confused and worried and Taeyeon feels sorry for keeping him in this state for so long. It is time to come clean.

“Zhouwei, since it has come to this, both Dayu and I would like you to know that we may be married, but we are not like most married couples.”

“Madam Lim, I don’t understand.”

“Of course you don’t. But I will explain.” Taeyeon turns to Minyoung and takes her hand. “I am in love with Miyoung.”

Zhouwei looks as though he is about to faint from shock. “I-In love? W-With Miyoung? Isn’t his name Minyoung?”

“You are acute even when confused,” Taeyeon says with a smile. “Minyoung isn’t really Minyoung. Minyoung is a name we made up for Miyoung when we disguised her as a man.”

Zhouwei’s eyes have never been larger than they are right now. “Disguised . . . as a man? Miyoung? Oh my heavens, what is going on?”

“It is a long story, but I will tell it if you wish to listen.”

“Please, tell me. I would like to understand this.”

“Very well, I will tell you the entire story. It begins with me, disguising myself as a man to make a living after escaping from my hometown that was besieged by enemy troops. . .”

Zhouwei sits and listens, mesmerized by the story told by Taeyeon. Dayu and Minyoung chip in at times to supplement with more details and by the end of it, he is in a world of surprise, shock and disbelief. “I cannot imagine how any of this can be true, yet it must be, for it is most probably impossible to conjure up a story like that.”

“It is not a story, I assure you. Minyoung is a beautiful woman named Miyoung and I used to be Taenggu, the pretend-male artist.

“And Dayu has always been Dayu,” Zhouwei adds, his eyes darting quickly to Dayu and leaping away again.

Taeyeon smiles. “Yes, Dayu is always around, dependable like the big, big universe around us.”

“Just like his name,” Minyoung adds.

“But I need to know something. And I trust you will not lie,” says Taeyeon, her eyes trained on Zhouwei.

“I will answer honestly, I swear.”

“Do you have feelings for Dayu?”

The young man looks down. After a long pause, he finally answers with a nod.

“I need to hear you say it, Zhouwei. Do you have feelings for Dayu?”

It takes another extended moment for him to answer. “Yes, I have feelings for Master Lim. But I know that nothing will come out of this. You don’t have to worry, Madam Lim. I will not speak a word regarding any of the things I have heard today. I will uphold the honour of your name.”

“Have you not been listening to anything we have said?” Taeyeon asks, exasperated. “Zhouwei, I am in love with a woman. She is married. I am married. But circumstances will not stop us. Not even time. It took six years but we met again and we are not letting go ever again.” She halts. “Or at least,I won’t.”

Minyoung squeezes her hand. “I won’t either. I am holding on to this hand no matter what happens in the future. And I am never letting go.”

Taeyeon spends

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter