Knowing One Better

Moving Forward

 

 

It was pretty late, thankfully tomorrow is Saturday and he just want everything done before he goes home. Luhan clean up his desk sorting his needed files and dumped it to his case.

He was driving his car feeling a little light headed from all the workload when he saw a very familiar figure waiting on the bus stop.

He pulled over and opens his window.

“You need a ride home?” Luhan hollered from his car. Frankly he doesn’t know why he’s doing this. It was so unlike him to worry about his employee.

Seohyun being the extremely polite lady she is bowed 90 degree before answering. “It’s alright sir. The bus will be here any minute” Seohyun answered, her place is far and she doesn’t want to bother her boss.

“But I insist.” Luhan said already out of his car to open the door for his secretary. He just can’t take the idea of letting Seohyun waiting by herself. It’s a dangerous world especially for beautiful woman. 

Seohyun look unsure for a second.

“It was my fault why you’re stuck here at this hour anyway.” Luhan assert holding the door for Seohyun.

“Thank you sir.” Seohyun said in a small voice her head dip low. She knew her boss never allow anyone in his car. Luhan smile triumphantly as he close the door.

“Where to?” Luhan asked as they both fasten their seatbelt.

Seohyun tell him her address.

“Isn’t that a little far from here?” Luhan asked, amazed at how much her dedication to her work.

“A little sir.” she said looking ahead. Her seat is so comfy even better than her office chair. And by that means the best office chair in Seoul.

“You should cut the formality. We’re outside. Talk to me comfortably.” Luhan suggested.

“Yes si- Luhan.” Seohyun try again a little flustered.

“Good.” Luhan said satisfy how his name rolls out of Seohyun’s toque.

Luhan didn’t say anything else after that. Seohyun look flustered so he let it go.

By the time they reach her apartment building she was sleeping. Luhan don’t know exactly what to do. Should he wake her up or not? So he just stares at her sleeping face. She stills an angel even when sleeping.  Luhan doesn’t understand how can she still look pretty even when is slightly open. 

He looks outside. They don’t have much street lamp making the place look dark. The building looks old and shabby. There’s lots of vandalism everywhere. The surroundings feel eerie like someone will jump at you anytime.

How in world did she even manage to survive here? He wonders as he stares at the cracked cement wall. If an earthquake hit Seoul he sure this place will fall apart to the ground.

A little later and she woke up by herself to his relief. His car is cosy but a real bed is way better.

“Oh we’re here?” She said groggily, looking at outside. “Sir, I’m sorry I slept.” she said bowing her head repeatedly.

Luhan chuckle a little, he was tempted to pat her head but he stop himself thinking it’s not appropriate.

“Told you stop with the formalities already.” Luhan remind her.

Seohyun bow again. It’s hard to break the habit. But she’ll try harder. Luhan doesn’t have that boss/superiority air around him now that he’s outside. He seems carefree and relax as compare when he’s inside the office. He’s truly a professional.

He gets out of the car as well when Seohyun open her door and walk out.

Seohyun bow to her boss “Thank you so much sir. I’m sorry for the bother.”

Luhan stay rooted on his spot eyes roaming the area.

In a situation like this, normally people will invite their guest inside the house so Seohyun did the same thinking its proper to do so. She’s sure he would just brush it off. It’s almost morning anyway and she’s certain he wanted to go home and rest just like her.

“You wanna come inside?” Seohyun asked gesturing for the entrance. To her disbelief he answered;

“Sure.” Luhan walk pass Seohyun and went inside. Seohyun remain on her spot trying to make sense of her current situation. For real? He wants to go inside my apartment? She can only gape at the situation.

“Seohyun?” Luhan called over his shoulder.

“Coming!” she said as she hurriedly get inside.

“The elevator isn’t working so we only used the stairs.” Seohyun said biting her lips in discomfort. She feels ashamed making her boss climbs 3 floors to reach her place.

She opens the door with her key.

“Welcome to my humble abode.” she said shyly. She was glad she maintained her apartment well.

“Please sit down.” Seohyun said offering a chair.

This is shoe box. That is what Luhan think when he enters. It’s very small not even a separate bedroom. There’s a kitchenette, a folding bed, a closet, a table with two chairs and a small door probably bathroom. That’s it, it’s too bare in his personal opinion. The good points is that it’s really clean no speck of dust or litter can be found.

“ummm…” Seohyun hesitate. “You haven’t eaten yet right?”

“uhu” Luhan hum still looking around the offensive space. She’s always concerned about his diet. Why is that?

“Are you cooking?” Luhan inquire from behind.

“No.  I take out Chinese food earlier. I’m just reheating it.” she said as she busily prepares the food. Good thing she orders extra food thinking about tomorrow. I guess I’ll be out to shopping tomorrow.

“You live alone?” Luhan asked noticing the belongings all seems all just her.

“Yes.” she said. Somehow Luhan is relieved. 

“Really? No boyfriend?” Luhan said he almost punch himself as his question seem rather too personal and too fast.

“No.” she simply said as she lay down the food in the table.

 “Really?” Luhan can’t help the surprise and the stress he had put in the word, earning him a strange look from Seohyun. Good thing he only bet thought his mind or else he’ll lose his precious car.

“I mean it’s just weird you’re living alone in a rundown place like this-” Luhan try to salvage the situation. Nice try Luhan.

“I mean… I’m not trying to bad mouth your place it’s… just that-“ Luhan mentally face palm at his stupidity. He sound like he’s dissing her place.

“I understand. I also think this place is shabby. But I have no choice.” Seohyun said calmly.

“And what about your ring?” Luhan really could'nt keep his curiousity at bay.

“Oh this?” Seohyun said looking at her finger. “ This is a purity ring my mom gave me for my 18th birthday.”

“You mean you’re a !?!?” Luhan was so shocked by the revelation that he immediately shot up from where he was seated.

Seohyun was obviously startled by his reaction.

“Is… there a problem with that?” Seohyun said slowly.

“No!” Luhan quickly denied shaking his head eyes about to  pop out of its socket. “No. No. No….” Damn. She’s a . Now Luhan feel dirty over those sleepless nights that he had.

Before Luhan can push more question Seohyun sat down.

“Let’s eat.” Seohyun said as he passes Luhan a pair of wooden chopstick. Luhan went back to his seat. He feels a little awkward after the revelation so they were silent for a couple of minutes.

He stare at the food that was laid on the table. Looks good but something isn’t right…

“I love Chinese food because it’s greasy. Is this an authentic Chinese food? Why is it so dry?” Luhan complain raising his bowl.

“I found this restaurant and they sell healthier Chinese food. You should check it out sometimes.” Seohyun said as she transfers some spring rolls to his bowl. She doesn’t have much plate and utensils as she lives alone.

“You and your obsession feeding others.” Luhan said playfully.

“I should cut your sugar intake.” Seohyun warn. She’s been seriously thinking of toning down Luhan’s sugar and coffee consumption and gives him more fibre and nutrients.

They eat in comfortable silence. Seohyun was smiling observing how her boss eats the food like a hungry child. As she daily prepares his food she always imagines how her baby boss eats. He’s less graceful and far messier than she thought. She could just smile fondly at him. How cute is baby boss. Soehyun accidentally let out her supress giggle when Luhan bit down his roll causing Luhan to look at her food still in between his lips.

Luhan raised his brow like asking ‘is something wrong?’. Seohyun just shake her head lightly smiling and fighting back the urge to pinch his cheek. He seriously cute. Why can’t he be like this every day?

Luhan just shrug and continue eating.

 

“You eat everything. You must be famished. Want some more?” Seohyun ask when she noticed not a speck of food remained.

“Nah I’m all good.” Luhan said rubbing his now full tummy. “I guess I really miss eating with someone…” Luhan said thoughtfully. Somehow this is Luhan’s heartiest meal since forever. He really did miss having someone while eating.

Seohyun can feel him. She tried not to think much about it but she missed having a company while eating. Someone who she can get to talk to and exchange some words of what happen to her day…

Suddenly they hear a sound of breaking plates from the outside follow by string of curses.

“What’s that?” Luhan wonder some sauce still on his lip.

“Oh umm… it must be my neighbour. There’s a couple living besides me. They always fight.” Seohyun said, it’s nothing new to her but she was thinking about her boss.

“Don’t worry they will stop later after they run around.” Seohyun assure Luhan as she calmly eat her spring roll.

“Run around?” Luhan said after gulping down some much needed water.

“Yeah, this is the first phase. The girl throws everything she touches. They will fight verbally.” as if on cue there’s loud screaming, accusations etc. and more cursing penetrates the room. “The second phase, the girl has a habit of walking away then the boy will follow begging for her forgiveness. The last phase is when they make up as if nothing happens followed by loud, aggressive and angry rounds of se-“ Seohyun stop herself, she’s madly blushing now.

“Don’t worry I get it.” Luhan assure her. She’s really cute when she’s shy.

“It’s quite; they’ll be out in an hour or two but after that no sleep for me.” Seohyun said thinking about previous nights when those two fights and the rounds of they have after fighting.

“They’re that loud?”Luhan said chuckling a little.

“Super. I’ll be investing on sound proof earphones next pay day.” Seohyun said as she pour some water to his cup.

“You’re saying as if they are hormonal teenagers”

“They are. They just turned 18.” Seohyun said as a matter-of-fact tone.

“Really? Where are their families?” Luhan inquire.

“I’m not sure. All I know is that they don’t approve coz they’re too young.” Seohyun said recalling the story the girl Luna told her.

“How about you? Where’s your family? It must be lonely living alone?” Luhan ask casually.

“Family … is a rather long story for me.” Seohyun said uncertain if she’s comfortable enough to open about family issues with her boss.

“I have time.” Luhan said propping his chin on his hand.

“Good for you.” Seohyun said smiling.

“Oh come on…” Luhan whine like a baby.

Why is baby boss so cute?

“Maybe some other time.”

“So there will be another time.” Luhan tease. He definitely welcomes the idea of having a lone time with her again.

“Maybe.”  Seohyun said shrugging. She really doesn’t mind. Surprisingly she find her baby boss easy to talk to.

“You should go.” Seohyun said as she gathers their used plates.

“Are you kicking me out?”

“Well I certainly don’t want you here once my neighbours are back.” Seohyun said truthfully. Imagine how awkward that must be.

“Okay then.” Luhan said giving up the fight. If Seohyun offer him to stay the night then he’ll happy to stay. But then we’re talking about Seohyun, there’s no way she’ll go that far.

 

 

Since then everytime time permits Luhan drives Seohyun to her apartment with the intention of eating with her of course. He enjoys bickering with her with her food choices and Seohyun retaliates by threatening to eliminate all sugar in his food. She’s really easy to talk to, their conversation flow naturally and easily like having a friend. He really does miss chatting over dinner. Somehow at the end of the day he feels fuller than ever sharing a meal. It might just be a very simple meal but Luhan would prefer over any fancy food some 5 star restaurant has to offer.