Chapter 7

The Ballad Of A Cold Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“SO WHAT’S GOING to happen now?” Asked Hwayoung the next morning, as we prepared to head out.

“Nothing, apparently. But I want to thank Dr. Rosebrough for what he did.”

“Yeah I guess you should. I’ve been ordered to go to the border along with Lee Sangsa. Sunbae stay in the camp for today along with the doctors.”

“Be careful”

“Salute!” She said as she walked out of the barrack.

“Hey!” I heard Dr. Rosebrough’s voice as I walked out following her. “How did it go yesterday?” He asked and I smiled. From the corner of my eye, I saw Jung Daewi, so I stopped what I was about to tell the doctor.

“Give me a second. I want to go report to my Captain first” I said, and he nodded. “Thanks”

    With that, I walked towards Jung Daewi. What happened that night still lingered around me, and I didn’t know how to talk to him as a person anymore.

“Salute. Kim Iseul Sowi reporting.” I saluted him and he did the same. But instead of asking anything about what happened, he just walked away.

“Is everything okay?” Asked Dr. Rosebrough, walking towards me. I turned and nodded. “Captain Jung is not that much of a fan of talking, is he?” He asked, and I nodded again. “Anyway, what happened? Did they-”

“Thank you for what you did, Dr. Rosebrough, but please don’t use your power to do such a thing. If someone disobeys the law, he or she should be punished.” I said, and he landed his hands on his hips and watched me.

“All I did was explain what happened. After all, you were not at fault. I was. And you wouldn't have disobeyed your orders if I cooperated. So, I am the one at fault.” He said, and I said nothing. “Let me formally introduce myself. Naven Rosebrough, the one who’s in charge of the Canadian Medical Team in Urk. Nice to meet you.” He said, holding out his hand. I took it and shook it.

“Second Lieutenant Kim Iseul.”

“From now on, I promise to follow your orders.”

“Oh, don’t worry about it. They are going to switch the teams. So from now on, someone else will be in charge of the security of your medical team” I said, walking towards the bunks.

“Wait a minute-” He followed, “Why?”

“Because yesterday was my last day of keeping watch. From today, it’s a new group.”

“But, you did such a good job-”

“And I know my other group would do the same. Each one of them have been trained by me so I guarantee that you will be safe.” I said as I stopped walking and turned towards him. He paused and watched me.

“So, then how will I see you again?” He asked, and I looked over his shoulder to see Hwayoung waving her hand, singling to come over.

“Go back to your team, Doctor. They have found a new place for you to stay.” I said as I pointed at his assistant who was walking towards us. Then I said ‘Hi’ to her and jogged my way Hwayoung. “I thought you were going to the border.” I said and she nodded towards the meeting room.

“We got called in. Let’s go.”

 

“There will be a group of photographers arriving tomorrow” Said Lee Sangsa.

“But, I thought we are not allowed to be photographed” Said Hwayoung.

“They’re not coming for us. They want to take pictures of the area and the people. Not us” He explained and she nodded. “Two soldiers will travel with them just to make sure that they are safe.”

“Like, to follow them around all day and all night?” Asked one of the sergeants.

“Yes. Jung Daewi has already picked two people.” He said, looking at me. I saw that coming. “Since there will be two male and female photographers, one sergeant from both Black Widow and Lions team will lead them.”

“There’s only four?” One asked.

“Why? Do you want an entire filming crew?” Asked Lee Sanga, making couple of people chuckle.

“Animnida” Said the one who asked, pouting.

“So, who’s going to be in charge of them?” I spoke, and everyone’s eyes landed on me.

“Kim Gaeun Sangsa from BW and Do Mingoon Sangsa” He announced, and I st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter