Chapter 9

The Ballad Of A Cold Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

THE NIGHT BREEZE kept me company, and it made me feel much better. I got up from where I was sitting and decided to walk towards the open door. What I found as I peeked my head out was Jung Daewi sitting on the ground; the wall as his back rest. He had his head down, which meant he was napping. His breathing confirmed.

    I walked over and sat next to him and stared at his left hand. The watch, he still wore it. I wondered where mine was. I usually hated watches, so I couldn’t believe I wore such a thing. I should be embarrassed by the way I acted before, but I felt like he had seen my everything, and that scene was just a light one like the passing wind. I didn’t understand why I acted like that. As I kept staring at him, I wondered how we separated, and what kind of a shock I received from our breakup for me to completely forget about him.

“I'm sorry.” I apologized. “I know you said to Hwayoung that it's better that I don't remember you, but I wish I did…” I said as I looked up at the stars. “I felt like a big piece of me is missing, and now I know it’s you. My heart hurts when I’m with you, and I feel like crying. And that is even when I don’t even remember what happened. I wonder how you’re feeling… Seeing me everyday even after what happened… What kind of a pain you’re in. I’m sorry.” I said, trying to stand up. But before I do, his hand touched me, and I almost screamed. When I sat back down, he faced me with tears running down his face.

    And that was the second time I saw Jung Taekwoon cry.

***

The calendar marked September 2011. I walked over and touched today’s date. He had promised to come back, so I prayed he would. I still thought it was unfair. It was his vacation. How could they call him for duty during vacation?!

    My phone started to ring, and I picked it up with a happy heart.

“Salute!” I greeted, and I heard him chuckle.

“Are you getting ready?” He asked, and I gasped.

“Omo! Jung Sangsa, are you back?” I asked, and I heard him chuckle again.

“Yes, Kim Sangsa. Now, what time would be a good time to ring your doorbell? Are you ready for today?” He asked, and I gasped again.

“Are you in front of our house?!” I asked.

“Yes, ma’am” He said, and I ran to the door and opened it.

    And there he was. He was wearing black jeans like any other guy in their 20’s, and a blue knitted sweater. Even though I wasn’t fully ready, I jumped into his arms and hugged him tightly. His laughter echoed in my house and I buried my face into his chest. I have missed him, and I didn’t realize how much I missed him until I saw him in front of me.

“Salute” He said as he wrapped his arms around me. “I missed you”  He whispered into my ear in the most formal way.

“Me too.” I said, and he tightened his arms around me.

“Where do you want to go today?” He asked as we broke lose.

“Anywhere. As long as you’re with me.”

“Since we’re in Daejeon, what about the O World? We haven’t had the time to have fun in a long time” He suggested, and I nodded. “Go get ready” He said as he walked in. “Where’s your parents?”

“They went to Jeju for two weeks.” I said as I walked towards my room. Before I entered my room, he grabbed my hand and spinned me around. His eyes sparkled as his arms ran around my waist. I watched a smile spread from one ear to the other. He didn’t say anything at first, and right before I ask him what’s wrong, he opened his mouth.

“Then, should we just stay home?”

***

“Sunbae-nim-deul” A familiar voice called out our names, and I slowly opened my eyes. Hwayoung and Lee Sangsa stood in front of us, and I wiped sleep off my eyes before looking up at them. They both looked in separate directions, and I turned to my left to see Jung Daewi sitting next to me. I gasped and sprung up to my feet.

“Good morning.” Hwayoung greeted, not meeting my eyes, “You both are summoned to the Medicube” She said before turning and walking away. I followed her while Lee Sangsa waited for Jung Daewi to get up. Before catching up to her, I e last time to see him watch me walk away. Sighing, I ran and walked into our barrack with her.

    The moment the door closed, Hwayoung stopped and turned to me.

“Sunbae-nim!” She yelled, and I held my hand against my heart due to the surprise.

“Why are you yelling?”

“Well, I just witnessed our Captain and our Second Lieutenant all tangled up and sleeping in front of the storage room. What do you think my reaction would be?!”

“Nothing happened. I just stepped out to see if anyone was there, and he was, so I sat next to him.”

“And how did his hand end up around you and your body ended up looking like it was glued to his?”

“I- Ya! I’m your senior! How dare you raise your voice at me?”

“It’s because I’m talking as a concerned younger sister, not as a Sergeant talking to her Superior. Sunbae, why are you doing this?”

“I want to know.” I said, as I sat on the wooden stool next to the door. “I want to know why we broke up. It hurts, it did even when I didn’t know. And now that I know - even though I don’t remember - it hurts more. And separating us wouldn’t do anything. I want to know, Hwayoung-ah.”

“But that will only hurt you more.” She said as she sat facing me.

“Have you ever seen a man cry?” I asked, and she straightened up and looked away. “I saw it. I saw him cry, not once, but twice. How painful would it be for him - he cried in front of me.”

“Jung Taekwoon sunbae cried?” She gasped.

“Hmm” I said, and she sighed as she cupped her face. We stayed in that positions for a while and then she got up.

“Fine. I won’t say a thing. If you want to go for it, go. Just don’t get hurt. If something happens again- don’t let the history repeat itself. Be careful.” She said, and I smiled.

“Now go, I have to get ready to head out.” I said, and she followed my order and stepped out.

 

    When the two of us entered the medicube area, Myungjoo Jungwi came to greet us.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter