Chapter 14

The Ballad Of A Cold Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rank names used in this chapter: (New promotions)

Soryeong - Commander (Myungjoo's dad)

Daewi - Captain

Jungwi - First Lieutenant

Sem - Teacher/ Doctor (Kang Moyeon)

ISEUL

EVERYDAY FELT LIKE heaven when I was with him. He really did know how to win a girl’s heart. And I was really getting better at acting as if I actually liked him. I really tried, but how could anyone in their right mind expect me to forget someone whom I was with for the past eight years? Hwayoung kept her distance from me, probably because she didn’t want to accept this reality. I didn’t want to either, but probably because of a moment of my insanity taking over my body, I was permanently stuck in this situation.

    He made me breakfast every morning. He took care of me even if I wasn’t with him. I realized that he was a really nice guy and I didn’t deserve this. I told him at least hundred times a day, but he hoped that someday I would return his feelings. I never thought a guy with such a background would bother trying to win a girl like me. He could have had anyone, but he gave his full attention to me.

“I heard you have a day off tomorrow.” He said as he walked into my office.

“Hmm. But I have to take the kids back to that village we last visited. It will take probably three hours to get there. And then I have to make sure-”

“What about evening? Or night? We’ll have a proper date.” He said and I stopped what I was doing and looked up at him.

“Why?”

“Why do you ask ‘why’? Isn’t it the normal thing to do when two people are dating?”

“Naven, I told you-”

“I know. But you promised to try. And I will do everything to show you that there are other guys in this world who can treat you like a princess,” he pinched my nose, “because you deserve it.” I smiled and moved away. There was a knock on the door and Hwayoung walked in. When she saw us, she stopped her tracks and said she’s come later.

“No no, I’ll go.” Said Naven. “You guys work.” He said and gave a salute to Hwayoung as he passed her.

“These are the files you asked for. And regarding tomorrow’s trip to the village-” She spoke in a melancholy voice.

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll go. It’s my off day.”

“No, I’ll do it.” She continued with that tone. “I bet Dr. Naven would want to have a date with you.” She said as she collected the signed files.

“Hwayoung-ah-”

“Don’t worry about it.” She said as she saluted and turned to walk out.

“Are you going to continue with this?” I asked.

“Sorry, I don’t know what you’re talking about, Sowi-nim.” She spoke in the most formal way.

“I know you’re mad,”

“I’m not mad. I’m disappointed.” She said before opening the door and stepping out. I sighed and took out my wallet.

“It’s your fault.” I blamed the photo and the man in the photo. “If you didn’t write me that letter, I would have still kept going. If you didn’t tell him about our relationship, I would have still believed that we could have had a chance. You’re the one who put me in this situation.” I said before slipping it back in.

 

    As expected, when I came back from the village, Naven waited for me with a boquet of the finest wild flowers. I smiled and accepted them. After a quick shower and change of clothes, he took me out into the town. We dined at a restaurant and then headed out to a famous local sightseeing place.

“I’ve been to so many countries, but never had the time to visit places like this when I was on duty. So, thank you for bringing me here.” I said, and Naven nodded and slipped his hand into mine. I closed my eyes and imagined Jung Taekwoon holding my hand. Naven’s hands were big and warm too, but it wasn’t the same.

“I saw a photo of this place at a house we volunteered and the owner was the one who gave me the directions. He said this is the best place to watch sunsets…” He scratched the back of his neck, “though we’re kind of late for that.” He said and I let out a chuckle.

“The food was amazing at that restaurant. And how could we miss the dessert?” I said, and he laughed too.

“I have never seen you eat that much.” He pointed out and I let out a s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter