Chapter 12

The Ballad Of A Cold Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“THE CANADIAN MEDICAL team warmly welcomes the South Korean team.” Spoke the familiar face. “And also, not to mention the best looking security team I have ever seen.” He said, and many chuckled. I gave him a small nod in exchange for his bow. “For the next three months, we will be working together as one team. So use tonight to get to know everyone.” He said as he raised his glass and toasted.

“Sunbae, why is he here?” Hwayoung asked me as I took a sip off the juice glass I was holding.

“Who knows.”

“Do you think… Maybe he was the reason we’re - I mean, you’re here?” She asked, and I shook my head.

“He’s coming this way.” I said, and with a cheeky smile, she walked away and joined the rest of the team.

“Lieutenant Kim” Spoke Dr. Naven Rosebrough as he approached us.  

“Hello, doctor.”

“How are you? How have you been?” The tall figure continued to question.

“Fine. You?”

“Same. I always regretted because I never got the chance to thank you - since you disappeared without notice - I just never thought I’d see you here. For the first time in my life, I’m happy I said yes to this project.” He said as he played with his now empty glass.

“Hmm” I hummed.

“Why did you go?” He asked.

“I was called back home. So I had to return.”

“In the middle of that mess?”

“Yes. It’s my duty to listen and follow my orders.”

“I like people who follow their orders”

“Really?” I asked, remembering our first meeting. “From what I remember-” I started but he stopped me.

“I know, I know. We didn’t have the best first impressions of each other. But on one hand, I was following my side’s orders. And you were following the orders given by your side.”

“But if you followed my orders that day, things would have been much better. I wouldn’t have gotten in trouble.”

“But I saved you, right?” He said, as if he did such heroic thing. Before I reply, he nodded and apologized. “This time, I promise my team and I will follow whatever the orders you give.”

“Dr. Naven, I’m not in charge of your security. I’m in charge of the Korean medical team.”

“I know. But I’m just saying. I will follow you if you ever ever command anything.”

“I’ll keep that in mind” I said before gesturing that I have to go back to my team.

“Lieutenant Kim?” He called out and I turned. “It’s really nice to see you again.” He said, and I nodded.

“You too, Doctor.” I said as a courtesy before walking away.

***

Just like always, we spent our days in different medical camps. I didn’t understand why the Canadian team had to work with us. Usually in this situations, they had different camps and we had ours. We never worked together. I had my doubts, but I kept them to myself.

One evening, I was walking a group of women back to their homes when we ran into Dr. Naven. He joined us for the walk and then we walked back to the camp.

“How’s everyone in Urk? Did they return?”

“Yes. Since this is more of a security matter, the rest of the team stayed in Korea.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter