Chapter 11

The Ballad Of A Cold Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“KIM ISEUL SOWI is summoned back to Home base.” I held the piece of paper in my hand.

“In the middle of this disaster?” I asked as I stared at my Commander. He landed his hands on his hips and nodded.

“The further details will be given when you return.” He spoke.

“Why?” I questioned him, “Why would they call me back? We need help here. So why?”

“I’m not in charge of transferring anyone” He said, and suddenly, Myungjoo’s words came to mind along with Jung Taekwoon’s.

“I wish I didn’t detain you back then. Then, I could have used that for now.

Then I know you’d be in our camp probably cursing at me, but I’d know that you’re safe”

“By any chance-” I stopped myself. I saluted and rushed back to our camp.

 

I found Jung Daewi sitting by his desk with his head buried in his hands. I threw the piece of paper on to his lap and he lifted his head and looked up.

“Is this your idea? Is this your way of keeping me safe? By transferring me? Because you can’t detain me like the last time?!” My voice raised, word by word.

    He stood up and stared before taking the piece of paper into his hands. He read it over and over and looked away. He sighed couple of times and dared not to look at me.

“Why can’t you just let me do my part, huh? I thought you and I-” I stopped myself. “Do you hate me?” I asked, and he stayed still. “Then why? Why do you still wear that watch? Why did you kiss me? Why?!” I asked, but he didn’t answer. “Goodness, Jung Taekwoon, talk to me. Explain this to me. I can’t even put pieces together because it’s so stupid. Every conclusion I come up with is stupid. So talk, for Heaven’s sake.”

    His next move surprised me. He stood in attention and looked right at me.

“In case if you forgot, I am the Captain here.” He spoke in the coldest voice. His small eyes shot dark lasers at me. “I do what I think is the best for everyone. And I want you out. So you’re being transferred. No more questions, understood? Prepare yourself. You will be leaving with the first batch of doctors. Your duty is to keep them safe until the moment they land back Home.” He said, and breathed. “That’s it. From this moment, you are discharged from any activity in Urk.” He said, and I took a step back.

    With tears running down my face, I lifted my hand up and saluted him. Then I turned around and walked out, not looking back. My heart cried, but I couldn’t do anything. This was not how I wanted to separate. No, I never thought of separating. But here it was.

 

    I waited and waited. The last passenger got on to the plane, and the attendant asked me if there’s anyone else left. Yes, me. I waited, but I knew he wouldn’t come. The rest of my team stood in attention and saluted, and I returned the gesture before turning around and walking away.

“Sunbae,” I heard Hwayoung’s voice, and I stopped. She walked over and handed me an envelop. I looked at her and she forced a smile. “Don’t open it until you’re back home. We will follow you soon.” She said, saluting.

“Don’t get hurt.” I said, and she nodded. With a smile, I made my way towards the aircraft.

***

BACK IN SOUTH KOREA

“Thank you for coming home alive.” Said my Captain after I reported to her. I didn’t reply, and we both stood in silence.

“I know you’re mad,” She started when I said nothing, “but, everyone has to return. Just think of this as a way of trying to get back to where you were before you were demoted.” She paused. “The new group is good. They can be better under your wings. After the training, there will be a promotion.” She spoke, leaving long breaks in between each sentence. When I didn’t say anything, she continued. “This will gain you some good points. And it’ll be done in Daejeon. You’ll get to stay at home. Ya,” She let out a laugh, “If I get to stay home and work, I’d say yes in a heartbeat.” She said as if this is the best thing that could happen to me.

“Fine.” She sighed as she leaned over her desk. “Give me the silent treatment for summoning you back home. But you’ll thank me later. You’ll see”

“Can I go now?” I asked, and she made an annoyed face.

“Ya!” She yelled, probably after feeling knocked out by my silence. I stood in attention with my hands on my back.

“Sowi Kim. I. Seul”

“Do you think I wanted this?! I sent you to protect my team but I had to summon you home just because-” She covered . “If there is such a thing called fate, you’ll find your way again. Until then, don’t do anything stupid, and follow your orders. Understood?” She asked, and I saluted before leaving her room.

    On my way to my room, I met couple of juniors who greeted me and asked if everything was okay in Urk. Yes, everything was getting back to normal there. Everything seemed to be okay with us too. And I thought maybe I could gain my memories of him if we hung out together. But obviously, I was shipped back here while he stuck there.

    I let out a sigh as I entered my room. Everyone I knew and close with were in Urk. I needed someone to talk to, but there was none. After changing into casual clothes, I headed out for a drink.

 

“Oh! It’s Second Lieutenant Kim!” I heard a drunk girl’s voice. When I turned from my seat, I was facing Tess, the photographer. Why is she in Korea? I thought to myself. “Weird, weird. I swear Captain Jung was in Urk when I left there. So how come you’re here? OMG, is the power couple separated? I should go back to Urk tomorrow!” She spoke in her drunk voice. I looked around to see whom she was with, but obviously, she seemed to be alone. Without an invitation, she sat in front of me.

“You’re drunk.” I said in English. She waved her glass at my face.

“I am not! Can’t you see my glass is empty? Pour a drink!” She demanded. I took my soju bottle and poured a drink to myself and drank it, o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter