Chapter 17

The Ballad Of A Cold Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“WHAT DO YOU want to talk about?” Jeong Daehi Daewi asked as we sat in her office. 

“Put me in on the Urk team. I saw the list, and it’s only five sergeants who are going on the trip. And they are all new. It’ll be nice to have someone who already knows the place. Don’t you think so, Jeong Daewi-nim?”  

“I beg your pardon?” Jeong Daewi looked at me as if I spoke a foreign language.

“Summon me to Urk.”

“Why?” She asked.

“Because that’s where Jung Taekwoon is going off to.” I spoke firmly.

“Y-ya. I can’t just-” She stuttered.

“You’re my Captain, right? And the girls are all from our team. Please” I begged her.

“Iseul-ah…”

“You said it yourself, Sunbae. If there’s such a thing called ‘fate’, you said we’d find our way back. But I can’t wait for fate to do all the work. I have to go, please?”

“Iseul-ah, I can’t-”

“Is it because of -” A knock on the door stopped my words. The door opened and Hwayoung stood in front of us. I smiled and she saluted both of us.

“Daewi-nim, I’m here to talk to you about… Oh… Is this a good time to talk? Or… is it okay if I say this in front of her?” Hwayoung asked hesitantly, eyeing me. I narrowed my eyes at my junior as my senior laughed.

“Go ahead. She’s going to find out anyway.”

“Before you send me with the Lions-”

“Wait a second, she’s going with the Lions and I can’t?!” I asked. Both females chuckled at me.

“She’s going with- She was requested to go with them. Does that answer your questions; both of you?” Said Jeong Daewi.

“Why is someone in my team requested to go on that trip?”

“Uhm, she’s in my team. Technically, Black Widow is my team” Jeong Daewi reminded me. Right. “And you are part of my team too.”

“So, why is she being requested to go on this trip?” I asked.

“Because-” Jeong Daewi looked at Hwayoung, who tried her best not to meet my eyes.

“So…” I lowered my voice. “There’s something I don’t know. Again.” My jaw tightened. “Let me guess; our team was supposed to go with the Lions, but because of me, it changed, right?” Both of them bit their lips. “So instead of the entire team, they are sending the new kids. Because… if you sent the entire team, you won’t be able to leave me out. But if only new kids go, then it wouldn’t be a problem. And you’re sending Hwayoung because she’s the Major Sergeant…”

“Iseul-ah, I’m sorry. But I really can’t do anything about this.”

“Hwayoung-ah, can you leave us?” I asked, and our junior saluted and left first. When it was back to the two of us in the room, I let out a sigh before opening up to the truth.

“So, how did he do this? How can he control a captain in the army?” I asked, and Jeong Daewi gave me a confused look.

“What are you talking about?” She asked me, trying to play innocent.

“How can he be stronger than you? You’re the strongest one I know, but how can he-”

“Kim Iseul, what are you talking about?”

“Do you think I don’t know?”

“Don’t know what?”

“I know, Daewi-nim. I know.” I said, and she shook her head.

“What are you talking about?”

“Do you remember the day I asked you about the person who’s behind our separation?” I asked, but I didn’t really expect her to remember our conversation. It was long ago; before I went off to Somalia.

“Yes.” She said, and I nodded.

“I already knew who was behind it. I just wanted to hear it from you. But I knew you wouldn’t tell me… But I wanted to try.” I said, and her facial expressions changed by the second. I watched her jaw drop to the ground. “So tell me, Daewi-nim, how did my father manage to control my Captain?”

***

The drive down to Daejeon felt longer than the usual. I applied for a day off and just left to pack up my stuff. When I got home, Eomma was preparing lunch and Appa was reading the daily newspaper like he did every day.

    When I carried the unmade blue boxes into the house, both of them stopped and stared at me.

“Ya, what are you doing here on a work day?” Appa questioned.

“Is everything okay? Are you okay? How come you’re here?” Eomma asked.

“I’m here to pack my things. The new place feels empty. I’m going to move my things there- that way it’s easier for me to-”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter