Chapter 5

The Ballad Of A Cold Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rank names used in this chapter:

Daewi - Captain

Sowi - Second Lieutenant

Sangsa - Master Sergeant/ Major Sergeant

 

Sunbae - Senior

Imma - Ina way says 'Hey kid' or 'Hey dude'

“The photo in your wallet… Do you still have it?”

    I stared at the picture, wondering how he knew it. It definitely was a picture of him, but I was too embarrassed to question him or Hwayoung about it. How can I ever tell my junior that I have a picture of our Captain in my wallet? Especially after I heard the reason she dislikes him. She might find me creepy, or worse, as a betrayer.

“Kim Sowi, are you in there?” I heard Lee Sangsa’s voice.

“Yes.” I said as I put my wallet back in my locker and walked out.

“You’ll be leading the volunteer team to a village tomorrow. There’s a UN medical team there too, and Jung Daewi said you’re good at speaking English too...”

“I will. Thank you.” I smiled and he nodded.

“Salute!” He said and I saluted back. Then he turned around and started to walk away, but paused in the middle. “By the way, how are you?”

“Sorry?” I asked.

“Do you not remember me?” He asked, shaking his head, as if he wants to confirm something.

“Ah… Did we know each other too?” I asked, and he bit his lower lip and nodded. “Sorry. I thought I gained all of my memory, but I feel like I’m still missing something.” I said, and he nodded again. “But, were we in good terms?”

“Of course! When I was a Staff Sergeant, I used to be your messenger.” He said, reminiscing the past memories. “It’s okay if you don’t remember me. We can make new memories.” He said, and I nodded. Then with a smile, he turned around and walked back.

    The next day, as I was ordered, we went to the village with the volunteer team. And for a month, we travelled around with the UN medical team, treating villagers, taking care of them, protecting them. I was finally getting used to the hot weather.

***

“Ki-Kim Sowi,over,”

    I heard our Commander’s voice through my ear-piece while we were returning the medical team back to the village they were staying.

“Kim Sowi, reporting”

“Where are you?”

“We’re travelling towards the village, Sir.”

“How many troops you have with you?”

“Five soldiers and 14 members in the Med team, Sir.” I said, and I heard him sigh. “What’s wrong, Sir?”

“FPCON level two was issued to the village you’re travelling to” He said, and all the comrades who travelled with me looked at me. “So forget the village and just take the troops to a safer place.” He said, and everyone nodded.

“Yes sir.” I said, and the drivers of the trucks turned the vehicles around so we could go back to the base.

“Wait a minute-” A doctor called out. “This is not the way to the village.”

“Sorry sir, we have been ordered to take you all to a safer place”

“There is no safer place than the village..” He argued with me.

“Sir, it’s an order. I cannot go against the order”

“Then stop the trucks. We will walk.” He said, jumping off the truck. I followed him.

“Sir, you do not understand. We are doing this because the village has been attacked.”

“Impossible! We have so many soldiers and UN members there. They will never-”

“Listen, sir, with all due respect, I have to disobey you and follow my Commander’s orders.”

“Do you know who I am?” He asked, and I looked at the nametag on his jacket. Nevan Rosebrough. One of the Canadian surgeons travelling with the UN Med team. When he goes back to Canada, there is a promotion waiting for him.

“I know who you are and what you are doing. It is my duty to know about all of you and protect you until your missions is over. And, if you don’t want me to send you back to your country as just corpses, please cooperate with me.” I said, and he made a face as if he was ready to punch me.

“What the heck are you still doing?! Move away from that road and back to the base. NOW!” Spoke my commander through my ear-piece.

“Dr. Rosebrough refuses to move.” I spoke, and I heard him sigh.

“Carry him out then! It’s after 6. As soon as the sun sets-”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter