Chapter 2

The Ballad Of A Cold Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I GOT OFF the car and stared at the small building. I didn’t recognize this place. My parents lived in Daejeon, and the hospital was in Yongsan, and it should have taken over an hour to get to our house, but this place… I didn’t remember.

“Where are we?”

“Our house.” She said, but I shook my head.

“But I live in Daejeon.”

“That’s Sunbae-nim’s hometown. But this is where we live during duty. Tomorrow you will have to meet up with Captain Jeong and get your driver’s license back along with your car, then you can go back to Daejeon.” She said and I nodded. Then we walked in together. Many saluted and watched as we walked in.

“Sunbae-nim has your own room because you’re a Lieutenant.” She said as we went up to the third floor. “I’ve written everything that I know of Sunbae, and if you have any questions, I’m number 5 on your speed dial.” She said as she opened the door to my room. “Oh, and your phone’s password is-”

“I know that, Imma,” I said, and she nodded. “But, why have you been sulking ever since we came out to the parking lot?”

“Oh?” She asked as she put my bag down. “N-nothing. You just reminded me of something I have to take care of.” She forced a smile. Then she walked over to the coffee table where there was a book and a phone. She took the phone and handed it to me. I looked at her and back at the phone.

“This is not my phone.” I said, and Hwayoung let out a laugh.

“Sunbae-nim has been using this phone for three years now.” She said, and I shook my head.

“My phone was a white Samsung. This is an iPhone. This is not my phone.”

“That was your old phone. You broke it to pieces when Kim Minji Sunbae was sent to lead the team in Uganda instead of you.”

“I did what? And Kim Minji was sent to Uganda instead of me?!” I said as I walked towards the door.

“Whoa-whoa,” Hwayoung stopped me, “That happened three years ago. This is 2015.” She said, and I nodded. So what happened after that? I got a new phone, I moved to this place… Why did I only remember before that? Why did I only remember some things? What was wrong with me?

“Just rest for today. Don’t go out. And your ‘new-but-three-years-old’ phone’s pin is Sunbae’s mother's birthday. Do you know that?”

“Just because I don’t remember your name and some little things do you think I’m stupid?”

“Sunbae almost bowed to the corporals when we walked out of the hospital.” She said, giggling.

“Are you making fun of me right now?” I asked, and she stood in attention.

“No Ma'am!” She yelled. “Rest well, Kim Sowi-nim.” She saluted before leaving me.

***

‘Meeting room at 07:00’

‘You don’t have to wear your uniform’

    I checked the message from someone named “Jeong Daehi Sunbae-nim” before going to sleep.

    Or, I tried to sleep. My life seemed like a puzzle. I read the notes Hwayoung left me, but that confused me even more. Some things felt so familiar yet so distant from my memory. I looked through the photos I had hung on the walls, but I knew none of them. The only people I recognized were my family. I just couldn’t stop thinking why I only forgot some things; why my mind decided to wipe those memories away from me.

 

“Annyeong-hasibnikka, Sowi Kim I-Seul-imnida.” I saluted the party that sat in front of me. Some looked at me as if I was being rude - I probably didn’t greet them right - while some looked at me with pity. I didn’t even know where the meeting room was at, but somehow my body guided me here. And thankfully, I made it on time.

“How are you feeling?” A man - A commander according to his insignia - asked me.

“Much better, Sir.”

“Heard you lost your memory. When you come back from the vacation, you will have to train once again with-”

“No way!” A lady stopped him, and all eyes were on her. “Lieutenant Kim has been training ever since she was 18. It took her 8 years to come to where she is right

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter