Chapter 4

The Ballad Of A Cold Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rank names used in this chapter:

Daewi - Captain

Sowi - Second Lieutenant

Sangsa - Master Sergeant/ Major Sergeant

Sunbae - Senior

“HOW COULD YOU send her here? He’s here.” Hwayoung spoke quietly with someone on the phone. “She was fine for the last couple of months. What if she gains her memory?” She let out a sigh.

“Hwayoung-ah,” I called out, and I heard her salute and end the call. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, Sunbae-nim. Let’s go eat.” She said, leading me out of the barrack and into where the comrades have prepared dinner for us. All the female soldiers sat on one side while the male sat on the other side. Three spots were left empty. Hwayoung took one and asked me to join her.

“Where is the Captain?” I asked one of the Staff Sergeants, and he looked at the old and broken building up the small hill and nodded.

“He will return once we've eaten.”

“Doesn’t he eat with you?”

“He does. But I don’t think he’s in a good mood today.” The Sergeant smiled. “Please enjoy.” He said as he served a plate full of Korean barbeque.

“Thank you. You too.” I said, and he smiled, taking a piece of meat and stuffing into his mouth.

 

    After everyone was done eating, one Sergeant got up to go towards the old building.

“I’ll go” I said, but he stopped me. “It’s okay. I have to personally report to him.” I said, but the Sergeant looked at me with doubtful eyes before agreeing to me.

    So to find Captain Jung, I started my stroll towards the hill. It was dark already, the only light that illuminated the way was the flashlight I carried with me. As I reached the building, I pushed the broken door and walked in. There was no light so I waved the flashlight around to see my way. According to Sergeant Lee, there’s a staircase at the right hand of the building that lead to the balcony. Captain Jung liked to go up there for fresh air. Taking a breath in, I pointed the flashlight to my right.

    But suddenly, someone grabbed me from the back and covered my mouth. My first instinct is to wrap my leg against his to make him lose balance and to pull him up and shot him to the ground. And when I did, I knelt and landed my knee on his stomach.

“Aish!” He cursed, and I pointed the flashlight at his face. Crap. I got up right away and saluted.

“I’m sorry, Sir. Second Lieutenant Kim Iseul reporting!” I said, standing in attention. He took his time to stand up and pick up the flashlight I dropped. “Are you okay, Sir?”

“Do you still throw people around?” He asked as he pointed the light onto my face. I closed my eyes and looked away.

“Sorry, Sir.”

“Why are you here?” He asked, turning the flashlight off. I reached for it but he lifted it up and took a step closer to me.

“Ye? I was told you like to come up here. I wanted to come and report.” I said, and he took another step closer to me. I took a step back.

“I asked, why did you come to Urk?”

“To protect people, Sir.”

“Drop the formalities. We’re the same age. And if you didn’t mess up so many times, you’d be a Captain too.” He said, and I wanted to punch him for his rude behaviour, but I kept my mouth shut because, after all, he was my Superior.

“I’m sorry, but I cannot speak in informal language to someone who holds a higher rank than me.” I said, and he took another step towards me. I stepped back and hit my back against the wall. He scoffed as he moved closer to my face. Even though it was dark, I could see his small hawk-like eyes shine.

“You used to...” He said after staying in that position for what it felt like forever, and stormed out. I held my hand against my heart that beat so fast and hurt at the same time. But at the same time, I felt relieved, as if the missing puzzle piece I have been searching for for the past seven months finally have been found.

***

Next morning, we were given a tour around the area we’re patrolling. A small village with a lot of children. We spent the whole day getting know the surrounding. Then the partners were assigned a spot by Jung Daewi.

“Sergeant Baek  is with Sergeant Lee,” He said, and I turned to face him.

“I’m sorry to interrupt, but Baek Sangsa is my partner.” I pointed out, and Hwayoung nodded.

“I’m sorry, but I cannot afford two comrades who caused tro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter