Chapter 6

The Ballad Of A Cold Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rank names used in this chapter:

Jungnyeong - Commander/ Lieutenant Colonel Daewi - Captain Jungwi - First Lieutenant Sowi - Second Lieutenant Sangsa - Master Sergeant/ Major Sergeant

 

Hamija - Don't Mwoya - What! Himnae - Cheer up

“THE BRUISE WILL go down in couple of days. In the meantime, apply this cream at night. It will help you co-op with any pain.” Said the lady doctor who examined my leg.

“Thank you” I said, taking the cream tube into my hand.

“Um… by the way,” She held her hand to the back of her neck, “I don’t know if I should tell you this at this time,” She paused and looked around.

“Go ahead. It’s okay” I told her. She smiled and nodded.

“Well, you should go talk to your boyfriend. He flipped out when he found out you went to the village with Dr. Naven. He almost followed you, but the higher people came so he had to stay. Otherwise, he totally would have gone to the village to look for you.” She said, and I tilted my head in confusion.

“I am sorry, but I don’t have a boyfriend.”

“No?” She questioned, not seemed to be believing my answer. “But- he- Even your friend grabbed him to stop from going.”

“My friend?”

“Yes, Sergeant Hwayoung. Though I don’t understand Korean, I’m pretty sure he was extremely worried about you. The way he threw the water bottle he was holding onto and took the keys from the other Sergeant… I really thought that he was your boyfriend.”

“No, he’s not. He’s my Captain. It is his job to worry if one of the troops goes missing.”

“But I’m telling you, Lieutenant Kim, he was worried about you as more than your Captain.”

“Thanks for the cream, Doctor. I should go back to my team. Hope you enjoy the food they have prepared for you. Thanks again.” I said, standing up.

“But-” She sighed and stood up. “You’re welcome.”  

 

    I wanted to be alone. The way I acted, I felt like I have done something like that, but at the same time, it was the first time I did something like that. But my Commander’s words somewhat confirmed that I have done something like this before. Whatever I did, I did not remember. And because of such an act, I was demoted too.

    When Commander Park said to come to the corps command, I knew I’d be meeting up with the Disciplinary Committee. I sighed as I opened the door to the kitchen.

“Do you need something?” A familiar voice startled me. I looked up to meet Jung Daewi by the sink with a glass of water in his hand.

“No. I’m fine. Thank you” I said as I walked towards the pantry cupboards.

“Drink this,” He said, holding out the glass towards me. His words; they sounded more like an order than an offer. I took the glass and took a sip. “You worked hard today.” He said, and I looked up at his face and nodded.

I wanted to ask him about how I got demoted. I wanted to know if I will get demoted. Or will I be sent back to home and thrown in the jail? Rot in the prison for eternity? What would happen to me?

“Relax. Nothing would happen. Even though you disobeyed the orders-” He paused, “Since. Dr. Rosebrough explained what happened, the punishment wouldn’t be that bad.” He said, and I watched in awe. How did he even know what I was thinking?! “What did they say about the leg?”

“It’s fine. Just a bruise.” I said, looking at my leg.

“Good.”

“I should go back.” I said, thinking of heading towards the old building.

As I walked past him, he grabbed my arm. I stopped myself. My body tingled from head to toe and the hair on the back of my neck stood up. Once again, that Deja vu feeling took over me. I wanted to move, but I felt frozen along with the time. I couldn’t even turn to look at him or even ask what he’s doing. We stood in that position for what felt like forever. Little by little, his hand slipped down my arm until we were holding hands. And as if my body recognized him, my fingers moved and our hands intertwined.

A sudden wave of emotions uninvitedly entered my mind. I heard a girl’s laughter in my head, along with his. Like a movie being played in my head, I saw all kinds of flashbacks of the two. I didn’t know who the girl was, but it was clearly him. My eyes grew wider. Oh Lord, what am I doing?! I must have known his ex-girlfriend too! The one Hwayoung told me about. The one whom he hurt. The one who went through a really hard time because of him.

    I swung my hand away from him and started to walk away.

“Iseul-ah” He called out, and I kept walking. “Kim Iseul!” He called out, and my body stopped me from taking the next step. I really didn’t want to turn around, but when I did, I found the human Jung Taekwoon staring back at me with tears running down his face.

    I wanted to run towards him and hug him, but I stopped myself. I told myself I cannot do that. He had hurt someone who probably have been really dear to me. The reason Hwayoung hate him must be because of that. I cannot comfort someone who hurt someone who was close to me. So I mustered up all the courage I had left in me and walked out.

***

When I walked into the long white tent next day, I expected group of people wearing their official uniforms to greet me. However, all I found is my Commander waiting for me. His expressions said that he was still mad at me.

“Salute. Kim Iseul Sowi reporting.” I said as I stood in attention.

“At ease, imma. You were ordered to come here to meet up with the Disciplinary Committee, but as you can see, they are not here.”

“Ye?” I asked.

“Dr. Nevan Rosebrough called the Canadian gvmnt. last night and they contacted the Blue House and apologized on behalf of Dr. Rosebrough.” He said and sighed.

“Ye?!” I asked, not believing his words. “Can he do such a thing?”

“Apparently he can when his father, his brothers and all the generations before him have served in the Canadian forces.”

“Oh… So what happens now?”

“Nothing. Since we received an official apology, your punishment’s being lifted. It’s as if you did nothing.”

“Is that even allowed?”

“It already happened. Even before we reported the incident, they contacted us first and offered the apology. Just be careful next time. Jung Daewi will switch your teams.”

“Sure. Can I go back then?”

“Yeah. Go. Stay

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter