Chapter 18

The Ballad Of A Cold Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

NOT EVEN A WEEK.

    It only took him three days to find out that I’m in Urk. How? I had no idea. Even Jung Daehi Sunbae was flustered. I had no idea my father had that many connections.

“You have to go back.” Jung Taekwoon told me.

“And what? You know, we’re doing the exact same thing Myungjoo and Seo Daeyoung did. Whenever Myungjoo tried to get close to Seo Sangsa, Soryeongnim would move them. My dad is no different. But we don’t have to do this. We can just-”

“And what?” He asked me. “What are you going to do? Tell them that you gained your memory and -”

“Yeah” I said, and he dropped his jaw.

“You’re kidding, right? Because I was.”

“I’m serious. I can’t keep away from you. The past two years killed me. And knowing that-” I pursed my lips. I took a step towards him. “Taekwoon-ah, please. Let’s just-”

“I made your dad a promise” He said, taking a step back, keeping distance between us.

“But promises are meant to be broken!”

“What are you? Filming Spider Man here?” Daehi Sunbae walked in. “So your dad found out that you lied to them about your placement and about your memory. No big deal.” She poured out her sarcasm on me. Jung Taekwoon sighed. “By saying that, you’re exposing your dad - and me - and the fact that they lied to you to keep you away from this guy.” She pointed her hand at Taekwoon. “Did you ever take a moment to think what that would make them feel?”

“They lied.”

“In a way, for your own good. We both know what Jung Daewi does isn’t safe.” Daehi Sunbae continued.

“Well then we both know that we’re in the same team, which means that we do the same thing he does.” I argued back.

“Iseul-ah, just go back to the new team and you two can continue this relationship.”

“I don’t want to run away, Sunbae.” I told her. “I’m not trying to be brave out of nowhere… I just want this to end. I’m tired of pretending that I don’t remember my past, and I’m tired of being pushed around. He’s taking things too far. I have to stop it now. Because appa is not a person who knows when to stop. So I have to stop this”

“...What does this mean?” Daehi Sunbae asked after exchanging eye contact with Jung Taekwoon.

“I’m going back to Korea. And I’ll come back here after I’m done with things.” I sighed.

“Isuel-ah,” Jung Taekwoon held my hand when I turned towards the door.

“Your dad-”

“I remember what he said to you. That night… I heard it; your conversation. But I’m not going to stop. I will never let you keep this promise.” I told him.

“Kim Iseul, please listen to me-”

“No.” I shook my head. “If I stop myself right now, the next time this happens, I don’t know what I would do. So let me do this right now”

    No one tried to hold me back because both of them knew the exact meaning of my words. I was possessed with anger and frustration, and they knew that the battles we fought before were nothing compared to the one my dad had silently declared. I gave him one last kiss before heading out.

    On the way to the barrack, I called the main base in Urk to make sure if there’s a flight back home tonight. Thankfully, they said yes. After booking my seat, I stuffed only the important items into my backpack and drove myself out of the camp.

    My phone started to ring while I waited at the airport.

“Sunbae-” Hwayoung’s voice spoke.

“Um”

“I heard what happened. What is your plan?”

“I’m going home.” I said, and she hummed in understanding.

“Myungjoo Sunbae said ‘Hwaiting’.” She said and I smiled and thanked her.

 

    On the flight home, the conversation my father and Jung Taekwoon had couple of years ago kept echoing in my ears. It happened right after that abduction scene. I got shot - or I jumped so Jung Taekwoon wouldn’t get shot - and Appa flipped out at everyone because of me.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter