Chapter 22 - END

The Ballad Of A Cold Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HIS ANSWER WAS OBVIOUS.

    How dare he not even take a moment to think? ‘No’. No?! After everything we’ve been through? After everything I did to find him?!

    When I stepped out of the room everyone’s eyes landed on me.

“I- uh - got some work that I have to do right away. I’d come back after I’m done” I spoke in front of both families.

“Iseul-ah, you should rest too, before getting back to work” Appa spoke up.

“I will. Right after I’m done with the reports.” I said with a smile. “Plus, I haven’t visited others yet. I should go- see- them” I just randomly pointed at different places.

“Oh? Oh. Okay. Go visit them. We’ll see you at night” His mom spoke, and I nodded before leaving.

    Then Hwayoung and I headed towards the elevator.

“Where’s Sijin Sunbae?”

“Still in the ICU.”

“We’ll go there. Kang sem is probably there”

    When we got down, we saw Sijin Sunbae’s father and Dr. Kang Moyeon waiting by the door to the ICU. Hwayoung and I both saluted in front of Sunbae’s dad.

“Thank you for bringing him back.” He said as he took my hand, and we nodded. Kang sem hugged me and started to cry. Sunbae’s dad went to get something for her to drink, and the three of us sat on the chairs that were attached to the wall and sighed.

“How’s Jung Daewi? I haven’t been able to visit him.” Kang sem spoke, her voice sounding nosy from all the crying.

“Don’t bother.” I wrapped my arms around me.

“Wah… did you guys have an argument already?” She asked as she straightened up.

“Worse”

“At this rate, how would anything be worse?”

“I-” I let out a loud sigh. “Got rejected.”

“Eh?” Both women looked at me.

“I said ‘marry me’ and he didn’t even take a second to think. He said ‘no’ right away! What kind of a man who does that?!”

“You pro- you proposed to him?!” Kang sem got up from her seat. Hwayoung did the same.

“Yep. And I got rejected.”

“Sunbae, why did you propose? Maybe Taekwoon sunbae had something else in his mind.”

“No. You want to hear what he said? ‘Sorry. I’m not going to marry you’. Then who is he going to marry?! Who am I supposed to get married to?! He has been the only guy in my life for over ten years!  So rude and selfish.” I crossed my arms. The two women stared at me.

“Aigoo… when will we ever have the chance to have our happy ending? Lucky Myungjoo.” Kang sem sighed.

“Ya,” I turned to Hwayoung. “Find a guy who is not a soldier. Find a office guy. While you fight wars, he’ll stay home. While you travel on missions, he’ll work in a cube, 9-5. Find a guy like that.”

“Ye” Hwayoung saluted.

    With that, I got up.

“Are you going?” Kang sem asked.

“Yup. Usually there’s a lot of paperwork due after a mission. Gotta go write our reports”

“Are you coming back?”

“Who knows? Why would I go visit the man who just rejected me?” To that, she laughed.

“See you at night” She said as she waved her hand.

***

LEO

I watched her close the door. Letting out a sigh, I turned towards the window.

“Taekwoon-ah” Noona’s voice made me look. “You have to eat” She said, and I nodded. She brought me the food and set them up on the small table that was attached to the bed. While eating, she continued to sigh.

“What?” I asked.

“Iseul didn’t look well when she walked out. What happened?” She asked. I let out a sigh.

“She said ‘let’s get married’.” I said, stuffing myself with a spoon full of rice. Noona just stared at me.

“And… what did you say?”

“I said no” I said in a quiet voice.

“Why?”

“Look at me. Will you marry me?” I asked.

“Of course no!” She shook her head while making a weird ‘pfft’ sound.

“See-”

“You’re my brother, idiot.” She cut me off. “We can never get married” She threw her hands in the air. I watched her and laughed. “You’re so stupid”

“You know what I mean” I said, and she stopped laughing.

“But… You know who Kim Iseul is more than any one of us”

“I know…”

“Well then-” A knock on the door made us turn towards the door. Noona walked over and opened it. Iseul’s dad stood by the door.

“We’re about to head out to have lunch.” He spoke after clearing his throat. Noona nodded and walked out after waving her hand. He waited for her to leave. “But before that, may I have a word with you?” He asked.

“Yes, Sir” I sat up.

“No no, sit comfortably. Continue with your meal as I say this” He spoke as he came over and sat on the small stool by the bed. He studied me and gestured me to keep eating.

“Thank you” He started. “For coming back alive.” He looked at me. I bowed. “I don’t have words to say how proud I am of you”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter