Chapter 10

The Ballad Of A Cold Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BEAUTY DOESN'T LAST long. Beautiful moments happen, and then time passes by to make everyone move on. In the morning, we informed that we’re going back to our camp. Yoon Myungjoo asked me to stay since the medical team was leaving Urk today and the camp would be empty, but of course, I couldn’t, because Jung Daewi refused Yoon Jungwi’s request.

“Jung Taekwoon, I thought you didn’t want her to-” I heard Myungjoo speak to Jung Daewi as I walked into the empty cafeteria; or I thought empty.

“I know what I said. But she is here. And she seemed to know - last night -” He paused. I paused midway, thinking of what happened on the rooftop last night. He stuttered as he went on. “She said something only the two of us knew. It’s like she’s gaining her memory. So how could I-?” He stopped himself again. My heart pounded loudly against my ribs to the point it hurt, and I held both of my hands against my chest, in case if anyone else heard it.

“Yeah. She said she had a dream about what happened last year, you know, before she got demoted.” Said Myungjoo, and I imagined him nodding. She let out a sigh as if she wanted to forget whatever they were talking about before I entered. There was a pause, and a another sigh followed. “You’re right, just think Heaven’s on your side. She’s here, she’s gaining her memory, and soon, you’ll be that unbreakable couple once again.”

“But... you know I can’t.” Upon hearing that, I let out a sigh. What was up with these two’s push and pull conversation?! One second, they say yes, and then, they say no. I was feeling frustrated by myself.

“What about Seo Sangsa?” Jung Daewi asked, and she laughed. Her laughter echoed in the building, and I could sense the sadness that was mixed in it.

“You know, our love is impossible. Appa does everything in his power to separate us, but I hold on to him. And you two - you guys have all kinds of possibilities, but you try to push her away. I love him, so I’m going to hold on to him no matter what Appa says. And if you love her, hold on to her. That’s the only way this could work.” She said, and right then, the door swung open and Corporal Kim stood in front of me with a shocked expression. He was about to salute me, but I gestured him to keep moving. The awkward kid kept looking at me as he moved into the main area.

“Salute” He gestured as I snuck out of the room.

 

    We didn’t wait for the medical team; we left before them. But while we were on our way down to the camp through the mountain path, something happened. The carpeted tar road didn’t feel even. I looked at Jung Daewi with wide eyes, and he stopped the jeep and got off of it. He came over and put his arms around me and held me tight.

“It’s an earthquake” He said, and turned me around so I wouldn’t be facing the view that overlooked the town. It was impossible for us to stand, so we sat on the ground. Our jeep kept moving down the hill. I was glad we got off, because straight ahead of us was a cliff, and the jeep was heading that way.

“Has this happened before?” I asked.

“Some times. Not as big as this though” He spoke right into my ear.

    We sat until the earth calmed down. When we stood up and I took look at the town, the beautiful view I remembered had turned into a graveyard. Grey smoke clouds raised from the ground, and I covered my mouth. Jung Taekwoon came over and turned me towards him.

“Breathe” He reminded me, and I closed my eyes and did as he asked me to.

    Then, he took my hand and we walked towards the jeep that was crashed towards the road bumper.

“Should we go back up and see-” I asked, and he took his walkie talkie out and tried to connect to someone. I took my phone out and tried to call Myungjoo and then Hwayoung. No response.

“The front is damaged, but I think there’s nothing wrong with the vehicle. Should we go to our camp?” He asked me, and I nodded. Then together, we started our drive.

    As we passed the town, we saw some people crying holding the injured, while some crying looking for the missing. Behind us drove a big truck that dropped doctors and nurses off of different stations. When we reached our camp, Lee Jaehyuk came running towards us.

“Is everyone okay?” Was my first question. He didn’t answer, just stared at the old building that was demolished to the ground.

“There’s a UN medical team that’s coming our way to make sure everyone’s fine.” He announced. I left Jung Daewi and Lee Sangsa and headed towards my team.

“Everyone’s okay?” I asked, and they stood in attention, saying yes.

“We were all out in the field with the kids, so no one was hurt.” Hwayoung reported.

“Then why is your arm bleeding?” I asked, pointing at the right hand. She looked down at her elbow.

“I’m okay.”

“A little girl was stuck in her house. Baek Sangsa went in to get her and came out like this” reported another. I stared at Hwayoung and she just let out a smile.

“I promise that I am fine. Once the doctors are here, I will get it checked.” She said, and I nodded.

“Any news from the corps command?”

“Our lines were cut. Kim and Shin Sergeants went there. How’s Taebaek Camp? Is everything fine there?” Asked Hwayoung in the most formal language.

“We were on our way when this happened. We will receive news soon.” I directed the answer at her and then turned towards my team. “Prepare yourselves. Wherever they send us, we go. We are the ‘Black Widow’. Nothing is impossible” I yelled, and they yelled ‘salute’ in reply.

 

    So the long days of disaster rescuing started. Most of us spent our days in small villages, helping out and assisting the medical teams. Even though I didn’t fully understand their language, I understood the language of tears. Their cries, their reasons for their cries, I understood very well. Many therapists from different countries flew to help them coop. Along with them came news reporters and photographers; or as our Commander called, the annoying bunch.

“How many lives have we lost?” One reporter held his mic on to my face as I carried an old woman on my back. I stared at me him for a second and kept walking. “Don’t you understand english?”  

“She does, but if you have eyes, you’d see that she’s extremely busy” I stopped at that voice. When I turned, Dr. Naven Rosebrough stood there smiling. “Sorry, but you should go find someone else to answer your questions. We are very b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter