Our Pasts Still Haunt Us

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

Somin felt the rays of the hot sun beat against her skin as she sat on the bench in the park by the house. She was reading a book inside when she noticed how beautiful it was outside. This week was her official fifth month of pregnancy and for some reason she felt extremely uncertain. Last week had been too much surprise events for her to really handle. Somin couldn’t help but wonder does Hyunjoong really like her? Thoughts of that day lingered through her mind as she absentmindedly flipped the pages of her book.

 

“This is where you are,”

 

Somin looked up and was surprised to find Kim Hyunjoong sitting next to her on the bench occupying the cold empty space.

 

She smiled at him. “What are you doing here?”

 

He shrugged. “I ended work early today. The meetings were shorter than I thought.”

 

Somin closed her book. “What is it exactly that you do Mr. Kim?”

 

Hyunjoong rolled his eyes. “I am the sole heir to the Daejo Hotels. I’m the director in the Daejo Hotel here in Seoul. I’m a busy man.”

 

It was Somin’s turn to roll her eyes at him. “I’m sure you are Mr. Director.”

 

Somin stared at the smile that played on his lips. It was no longer the smirk Somin had first known when they first met. It was instead a soft one, a warm one. Had five months truly changed him or was it an act. He said it himself, he didn’t go for girls like her. So what was the catch?

 

“Hello, Somin?” Hyunjoong was waving his hand in front of her face.

 

She shook her head. “Sorry…what were you saying?”

 

“My mom called us. She wants us to have family dinner.”

 

“Family diner? When?”

 

“Tonight…” Hyunjoong gave her a funny look. “Are you alright? Is the sun getting to you?”

 

“It’s nothing,” said Somin softly.

 

Hyunjoong took her hand. “Come on let’s go home and get ready for family dinner.”

 

They began to follow the path that led out to the streets of their neighborhood. As they got closer to their apartment duplex, she noticed someone at the doorway.

 

Hyunjoong must have seen it too as she whispered to her, “Who is that?”

 

“Somin!”

 

The figure turned around and began to run towards Somin.

 

She stared at him as he came closer. “Oh my god…”

 

She was suddenly enveloped in a tight hug. Her pregnant stomach pressed against the mans body. Her expression changed to a sour one as he continued to hug her tightly oblivious to her pregnancy.

 

“How have you been?”

 

That voice. “Kihoon?”

 

He pulled away from her with a smile. It was Kihoon. The ex boyfriend she found cheating on her right before she went to that bar on New Years Eve. The night she met Hyunjoong. He looked different. Kihoon’s black layered hair had grown out. He looked…tired. His eyes said it all. They were pure and round, unlike his ual desires but it was one of the reasons Somin had stupidly fallen for him. Shim Kihoon worked as an assistant in a law firm. They had met at a party thrown by Yoomi. He was a fellow student at the University Yoomi had attended at the time.

 

“What are you—“

 

Suddenly, Kihoon cupped Somin’s face and came crashing down to kiss her on the lips. Shocked, Somin instinctively closed her eyes and tightened her lip. He let go of her and placed his hands on her shoulder.

 

With a squeeze he said, “I’ve missed you.”

 

Somin was lost for words. She had no idea what to say. But, Hyunjoong sure did.

 

“What the hell are you doing?!”

 

Somin felt Hyunjoong tightly grasp her arm and pull her away from Kihoon and behind him.

 

“Somin, who is this guy?”

 

Before Somin could answer Hyunjoong interrupted her. “I ing asked you what the hell are you doing to Somin.”

 

Kihoon had a grim expression on his face as he approached Hyunjoong. “Seriously Somin, who is this guy?”

 

As if two lions fighting over the lioness, Hyunjoong threw a punch straight towards Kihoon’s face. Somin flinched as she heard a crack ring through the air. Before she knew it, Kihoon had retaliated back by forcefully shoving Hyunjoong to the ground. With quick reflex, Hyunjoong stood back up and once again punching Kihoon on the nose making sure it bled.

 

Snapping out of her daze and confusion, Somin rushed towards Kihoon who was cupping his now bloody nose. “Stop it the both of you!” She looked over at Hyunjoong who was red with anger and his hands balled up in a firm fist. She went over to him and tugged on his arm. “Come on let’s go inside.”

 

...........................................

 

Somin opened the refridgerator door and took out the pitcher of ice cold water. She grabbed a glass cup from the cupboard and began pouring water into it. Once Somin was finished she walked back towards Hyunjoong and Kihoon who were sitting opposite each other on the living room chairs. Kihoon was holding an ice bag to his nose to reduce the swelling. Somin had helped him wipe away the blood. She had suggested he stay for a little bit and meet Hyunjoong.

 

Somin stifled in a giggle as she looked at the two tensely stare at each other. She set the glass of water on the coffee table and sat on the couch. Kihoon thanked her as he drank his water.

 

Somin decided to do the introductions. She turned towards Hyunjoong. “This is Shim Kihoon, my ex boyfriend.” Then she turned to Kihoon. “This is Kim Hyunjoong.”

 

“Your boyfriend?” asked Kihoon.

 

“You can say that…” replied Somin as she glanced down at her belly.

 

Kihoon pointed at her stomach. “He did that to you didn’t he? He did that without your permission didn’t he?! Somin if he did, you have to tell me. Don’t stay with that just because you’re pregnant with his child.”

 

Somin, this time, let out a long laugh. “I’m alright Kihoon.”

 

“You can always come to me Somin. If you’re ever in trouble or don’t want to be with that then I’ll be here for you.”

 

Somin smiled to herself. Kihoon was starting to call Hyunjoong that.

 

“Yeah right, you were the one that cheated on her that night,” mumbled Hyunjoong under his breath.

 

Somin sharply turned to Hyunjoong with wide eyes.

 

“What was that?” asked Kihoon.

 

Somin gave Hyunjoong a pleading look, telling him not to say anything.

 

Hyunjoong rolled his eyes and looked away. “Nothing.”

 

Kihoon shrugged off Hyunjoong’s words and began focusing his attention on Somin. He kept asking her how she had gotten pregnant, which she had altered the story here and there and since when did she move. He told her he kept looking for her everywhere. Yoomi wouldn’t budge about her whereabouts until he went to her work and found out from there. Thirty minutes flies by and Kihoon announces he has to leave to get back to work.

 

“Wait before you go,” said Somin stopping him. “Hyunjoong has something to say to you.”

 

Hyunjoong looked at her with alarming eyes. She urged him to say it.

 

“Sorry,” He said. “For punching you in the face.”

 

Kihoon put on an obvious fake smile, knowing well that if he didn’t attempt to forgive him Somin would kick his . “It’s okay."

 

Somin stood up, satisfied with their sort of happy ending encounter and led Kihoon towards the door. “Thanks for finding me here Kihoon. It was really nice seeing you again.”

 

He smiled genuinely at her as he hugged her. “You too Somin. Guess I was too late wasn’t I?”

 

Somin chuckled as she watched him step out the door. She closed the door with a heavy sigh and went back into the living room. Hyunjoong had gotten off the chair and was leaning against the banister of the staircase. His expression was still stolid.  

 

“Jealous?” smiled Somin teasingly.

 

He rolled his eyes from her. “Far from it.”

 

Somin walked slowly towards him and poked him on the shoulder. “Admit it. You were jealous that’s why you punched him.”

 

“No that’s not why,” objectively said Hyunjoong. “He kissed you in public!”

 

Somin crossed her arms over her chest. “He was just ‘greeting’ me.”

 

Hyunjoong scoffed. “It’s the year 2006, that’s what you call a ‘greeting’? I think that’s just being disrespectful.”

 

“Disrespectful?” Somin thought for a moment. “Hmm, so making assumptions about someone the first time they met or playfully asking for a second round of or pulling me out of the bus line just to make a point or doubting I was pregnant or getting drunk and making me who is pregnant pick you up or telling people I was a mistake isn’t disrespectful at all Kim Hyunjoong?”

 

Hyunjoong, obviously stunned at her words, mumbled. “It’s different.” He cleared his throat. “Forget about it.” Hyunjoong began making his way up the stairs.

 

“Don’t be mad at me! Just admit you’re jealous!” said Somin as she trailed behind Hyunjoong up the stairs.

 

“No,”

 

“You are jealous!” sang Somin behind him.

 

As Hyunjoong got to the top of the stairs he turned to her. “Just get ready for family dinner Somin.”

 

Somin looked up at him. “Just admit you’re jealous.”

 

Quickly Hyunjoong leaned in and pecked Somin on the lips. “Fine, I’m jealous.”

 

Somin grinned as Hyunjoong took her hand and began leading her to the bedroom to get ready for family dinner. “Now was that, that bad?”

 

Hyunjoong looked at her with a serious expression. “Shut up and just get ready.”

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Hyunjoong pulled the car up to the driveway outside of his family’s house. Hyunjoong helped Somin get out of the car. She was wearing a taupe colored top that went past her waist, had a scoop neck, loose cuffs at the sleeves. He knew this because Somin couldn’t decide if she wanted to wear this or the navy blue sweater. When Hyunjoong tried to help stating that the brown one looked better he got scolded for not calling it the right color, taupe. She then wore jeans on the insistence of Hyunjoong claiming it was just casual and black flats. While it took Hyunjoong five minutes to put on a clean shirt and jeans it took Somin almost an hour. Her hair was down, loose and wavy, the way Hyunjoong liked it. He put his arm around her and they began making it to the front door of his house.

 

The house was a large mansion. It was beige and had a large porch out in the front. It was very Victorian looking on the outside. Hyunjoong knew the door was open and they walked in together. They entered the foyer and were greeted by one of the maids who told them that his parents were waiting in the parlor room.

 

Hyunjoong and Somin walked around the corner and entered the parlor room. They found that Hyunjoong as well as Somin’s parents were present. They all greeted each other happily. Hyunjoong’s mother ran up to Somin and held her hand. Hyunjoong shook hands with Somin’s father and his father and hugged Somin’s mother.

 

“Look at how big you’ve gotten!” exclaimed Hyunjoong’s mother. “You’re absolutely glowing!”

 

Hyunjoong watched Somin bashfully smile at his mother.

 

Somin’s mother held his hand and asked, “How are the both of you doing? Somin won’t tell me anything!”

 

“Well—“

 

“Inyoung! Save it for dinner!” yelled Misung, Hyunjoong’s mom.

 

The two fathers eyed each other and just laughed as they sat back down on the couch and drank their drinks.

 

Hyunjoong turned to Inyoung with a smile. “We’re doing fine Mrs. Jung.”

 

She patted him on the arm. “Call me umma.”

 

“Call me umma too Somin ah.” She took Somin’s hand once again. “Come, dinner is ready.”

 

They made their way to the dining room. Hyunjoong seated next to Somin and the food began to arrive. His mother loved to go all out when guests arrived and of course she did. Platters of classic Korean dishes came out and Hyunjoong saw the glint in Somin’s eye. She was complaining at how hungry she was during the ride over and she finally got her wish.

 

As they ate, they all conversed with each other. Their moms kept asking constant questions while the dads talked about business. Hyunjoong leaned back in his dining chair comfortably as he ate. He liked this atmosphere. A loud family. Family dinners like these without Somin were quiet and quick. Now they were laughing and enjoying dinner.

 

“I see that your relationship with each other has gotten better,” said Somin’s mom.

 

“That’s a good thing,” Hyunjoong’s mom turned to Somin’s mom. “I see a wedding in the future.”

 

“Umma we have another month to go before we decide anything,” interrupted Somin.

 

Inyoung and Misung shrugged together. They were hanging out with each other too often.

 

Averting to a different subject Somin asked, “Appa, how are phone sales going?"

 

“They are going great. It’s a big seller in Japan just like you said,” smiled her dad. “I can’t wait until you come back to work again.”

 

Somin laughed. “That won’t be for a while dad.”

 

“You know I hear that the hotel here in Seoul is doing a summer couple special for all employees. I think you two should go,” said Hyunjoong’s dad. “You’ve never gone to it have you Hyunjoong?”

 

“Appa…”

 

“It’s on Jeju Island I heard. Won’t that be a great idea Yeobo if they go?”

 

“Oh that would be wonderful!”

 

“But won’t that be a problem?” asked Somin’s mom. “She’s pregnant I don’t think she can go on the plane?”

 

Their parents began to argue about Jeju Island. Hyunjoong turned to Somin who was staring down at her lap with an odd expression on her face. She was looking at her cell phone. Hyunjoong put a hand over hers. She looked up at him. Slowly her hands slithered away from his and she looked away. She tucked her cell phone back into her pocket and resumed eating. Hyunjoong looked at her quizzically. What was going on?

 

“So what do you guys think?”

 

Hyunjoong snapped back from his daze and looked over at his father who was smiling at the two of them. He picked up his fork and nodded. “Sounds great.”

 

Soon enough dessert was served. Hyunjoong kept sneaking glances at Somin who had kept her focus on the food in front of her. Her attitude had changed from great to sour just by one look at her phone.

 

After dinner and dessert they had retreated to the living room. As Hyunjoong kept in with the conversation, Somin didn’t say much. She constantly kept looking at her phone. Hyunjoong tried to get her attention but she had ignored him.

 

It was getting late. Somin’s parents, Hyunjoong and Somin decided to head on home. They thanked his parents and began to head outside towards the car. Somin was walking ahead of him. Hyunjoong stared at her as he walked slowly. She stopped and turned around towards him realizing he was far behind. He stopped as well.

 

“What’s wrong?” She asked him.

 

“I should be asking you that,” He replied.

 

She looked away. “Let’s just go.” Somin opened the car door and helped herself inside.

 

Hyunjoong followed suit and began to drive home.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

“I’m going to get washed up,” said Somin as she walked in the front door of their home and took off her shoes.

 

“Okay,"

 

She felt Hyunjoong brush past her. He knew something was wrong with her. She couldn’t hide it. Somin was horrible at hiding things that struck her. Somin began to head upstairs and into her bedroom. She dumped all her belongings on the bed and headed towards the bathroom to wash up.

 

Twenty minutes later Somin emerged out of the bathroom to find Hyunjoong standing over her bed holding her cell phone in his hand. Alarmed Somin quickly went beside him.

 

“What are you doing?!”

 

“What is this Somin?!” asked Hyunjoong holding up the cell phone for her to see.

 

He was on the text message that Somin had received a few hours before. She took the cell phone from him. “What do you think you’re doing?”

 

“I was thinking that something was wrong with you tonight after you took a look at your cell phone during dinner,” Hyunjoong looked her in the eyes. “I was right. Why is Maerin asking you “Have you done it yet?” What does she mean by that Somin?”

 

“It’s nothing,” She whispered.

 

“Stop saying that! It’s something enough to make you like this. This morning you spaced out on me. During dinner you became quiet and when I tried to comfort you, you slipped away from me. Tell me Somin, what is going on between you and Maerin?!”

 

“Hyunjoong please,” She begged. “Don’t make me tell you.”

 

“Tell me Somin!” Hyunjoong’s face began to turn red. “Somin I’ve shown you all my feelings. You know how I feel about you. All I want in return Somin is for you to just tell me what is going on. Somin I don’t ask you for much but if it’s between you and Maerin I have the right to know.”

 

Somin sighed. “Alright, I’ll tell you.”

 

Flashback~...//...//...

 

Somin followed the familiar path into the park. It was dark out and the only sources of light were the street lamps aligned along the walkway. She turned a corner and immediately saw the back view of the figure that was waiting for her.

 

“Hi,” Somin greeted. “I was surprised to get your calls and texts.”

 

Maerin looked at her and nodded at her to sit beside her on the bench. Somin did as she was told. They both looked out to the park. They were silent for a moment before Maerin turned to her.

 

“How are you?” She asked Somin.

 

Somin looked at her. “I’m okay, and you?”

 

“Horrible,” Maerin looked away from Somin. “Just horrible.”

 

Somin knew it. Whatever she asked her here for it was going to be about Hyunjoong.

 

“Have you ever been in so much pain that whenever you want it to go away it just won’t? Whatever you try to do, nothing in the world can make that pain go away. Have you Somin?”

 

“I—I’m not sure what you’re talking about Maerin.”

 

“I’m miserable Somin without him. He won’t answer my calls or texts. He won’t meet up with me anymore. It’s like Hyunjoong’s forgotten all about me and that was the last thing I ever wanted to happen. It wasn’t because of something I did. It was because of something he did. He got you pregnant and left me. If he just didn’t leave me that night none of this would have happened.”

 

“What exactly happened that night that made him go to the bar?”

 

Maerin shrugged. “I don’t even remember what it was. But it got him upset enough to leave.”

 

“Maerin, I’m sorry.”

 

“I know you are Somin. I’ve been trying to let go of him for these past couple of months. I’ve been trying to get him out of my mind. But I just can’t. I still love him Somin. I love him so much that it’s just so hard to breathe everyday.” She turned to Somin and placed her hand on top of hers. “I just want him by my side again. I just want him to love me again. My heart…it feels so empty. So please Somin, I’ll do anything for you to leave him. I’ll help you. Just please give me the man I love back to me.” A tear slipped down her face.

 

Somin looked her in the eyes and gave her the best possible answer she could give her at the time. “I’ll think about it.”

 

Present~...//...//...

 

“So…I told her I’d think about it.”

 

Hyunjoong ran his fingers through his hair. “I can’t believe you Somin.”

 

“She still loves you so much Hyunjoong! How could I be the one to take that away from her? You don’t know how bad I feel to have done this to her. If I were in her shoes I would be so devastated and heartbroken.”

 

“You shouldn’t care about her at all Somin. I made the decision to leave her. I am taking full responsibility for her Somin. Maerin shouldn’t even be bothering you about this. It’s over between us.”

 

“I can’t pretend that she doesn’t exist Hyunjoong,” argued Somin. “Our relationship started out all wrong. But yours with her started out right. You genuinely love her and the only genuine thing I can give you is this baby. Isn’t that sad not just for you but for the both of us? I can’t stand to be the one that broke the happiness between you two.”

 

“Why are you thinking like this?”

 

“Because I genuinely think you should get back with her Hyunjoong!”

 

Hyunjoong scoffed. “It’s like me asking you to get back with Kihoon. No, begging you to get back with him. I told you how I feel about you already. Although we started out all wrong, we’re shaping into something that is perfect and right that I can’t get out of it. I’m not upset that you went and met Maerin in the middle of the night but what I am upset about is that you honestly considered leaving me and even advising me to go back to Maerin. No…I’m not upset just so disappointed.”

 

With that Hyunjoong threw Somin’s cell phone on her bed and walked out of the room. She heard him run down the stairs and slam the front door shut.

 

Somin put her hand to her heart and slowly sat on the bed. She began to bite her bottom lip to prevent herself from crying but it was too late. A rush of hot tears began to fall from her face and that’s when she knew she had miserably screwed up.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Hyunjoong opened the front door of their house quietly. It was roughly 3 in the morning and Hyunjoong had just gotten home after driving endlessly for hours. He had to cool down. Driving around was the best way to do it.

 

Cool, calm, and collected Hyunjoong made his way up the stairs and into Somin’s bedroom. She had gotten under the covers and was now sleeping. He walked over to the other side of the bed and climbed into the bed with her. He moved closer to her so that their faces were facing each other. He began to her hair.

 

Slowly from his touches her eyes began to flutter open. They stared at each other for a bit before tears were waiting to spill on Somin’s face. She looked at him with sadness.

 

“I didn’t think you would come back,” She whispered to him.

 

He softly smiled at her. “Why would you think that?”

 

“Because I ed up,”

 

Hyunjoong chuckled as he took his hand away from her hair. “That you did.”

 

“I’m sorry,”

 

“From now on whatever Maerin tells you, you have to come and tell me about it right away.”

 

With the length of her neck Somin reached to kiss Hyunjoong on the lips. “I’m sorry,”

 

“It’s okay,” He whispers.

 

“I don’t know what this is.”

 

“What do you mean by this?”

 

“Us,”

 

Hyunjoong leaned in and kissed her on the forehead. He pulled her close to him, hugged her with his arm, and placed his chin on top of her head. “You have to trust me from now on Somin.”

 

“It takes me a long time to trust someone,” warned Somin. “I’m so afraid that once they earn my trust they’ll lose it by doing something stupid like what Kihoon and others did to me. I never look back.”

 

Hyunjoong laughed at her warning. “Don’t worry. We’ll settle this problem with Maerin another time.”

 

Somin nodded as Hyunjoong felt her snuggle into his chest. Hyunjoong waited for Somin’s breathing to slow before he himself fell right to sleep.