Drunken Night

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

Somin followed Hyunjoong inside their home. She watched him angrily take off his jacket and throw his keys on the living room coffee table. Somin could see his anger but her curiosity was killing her.

 

“Who was that? Someone you know?”

 

“It’s none of your business,” snapped Hyunjoong.

 

“I just—“

 

“Leave me alone!” Hyunjoong sat on the couch tensely. “Please…” He put his head down and began rubbing his temple on his head.

 

Somin stared at him for a minute before heading quietly upstairs and into her room. Somin decided to take a shower and after head off to bed.

 

An hour later, Somin emerged from the bathroom fresh from the warm shower. She quickly got changed into her pajamas, sat at her vanity and began putting on her skincare for the night.

 

Fifteen minutes later after she had blow dried her hair, Somin had gotten curious and walked out into the hallway. She didn’t hear Hyunjoong come up and wash up yet. She peeked through the stair railing and found Hyunjoong in the same spot he was in when she last left him.

 

Feeling bad, Somin headed downstairs towards the kitchen. She began filling the teapot with water, placed it on the stove and turned it on to boil. Whenever she felt upset or depressed, Somin always felt better after making herself a cup of tea and watch late night dramas.

 

Once the tea was done, Somin poured it into two mugs and headed over to Hyunjoong. She sat beside him and offered the steaming at him. He looked up at her as she pushed it towards him. As he took the cup Somin leaned over, took the remote control and the T.V. Full House was on. Together they sat quietly drinking their tea and watching endless reruns of Full House.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

The next morning, Hyunjoong woke up on the couch still in his party clothes from the night before. He must have fallen asleep watching the drama with Somin that night. He looked around him and realized Somin wasn’t home. He looked at the clock on the wall and found it was almost 3 pm.

 

Hyunjoong grunted as he got up from the couch and stretched out his legs. He lazily walked towards the kitchen. His eyes caught sight of a bright blue post it note on the refridgerator.

 

“I tried to wake you up but you wouldn’t budge,” read Hyunjoong out loud. “I went out with Yoomi. If you need anything call me. I’ll be home later. Somin.”

 

Hyunjoong threw the note aside and grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge.

 

Hyunjoong felt gross and decided to take a much needed shower. He entered the master bedroom and went into the bathroom. He noticed all of Somin’s things neatly aligned by the sink. He picked up a perfume bottle and smelled it. It had a light flowery scent. He chuckled, this was the scent Somin always wore. He had even caught her during moving day spraying it around the room. He placed it back on the counter and went to shower.

 

Once Hyunjoong had stepped out of the shower, he heard the door bell ring multiple times. Thinking it was Somin, he hastily got dressed and ran to answer the door.

 

“Did you forget your keys?” Hyunjoong looked up and to his surprise it wasn’t Somin. “What are you doing here?”

 

Maerin looked up at him. “I wanted to see your new place.”

 

“How did you even find out I moved out?” asked Hyunjoong.

 

She simply shrugged. “I asked around. Can I come in?”

 

Hyunjoong opened the door wider for her to enter. Hyunjoong walked in ahead of her and shuffled towards the living room. “Is there something you wanted to talk to me about?”

 

Hyunjoong stopped in his tracks. She didn’t respond to him. He turned his head and saw her frozen at the doorway staring at the floor.

 

“Does your mom live with you?” She said in an almost inaudible whisper.

 

He looked down to what Maerin was staring at and realized it was Somin’s shoes aligned neatly at the door.

 

“No she doesn’t,” He replied. “Would you like something to drink?” He tried diverting to a different subject.

 

Maerin nodded as she walked in and took a seat in the living room.

 

Hyunjoong set the glass of water on the coffee table and sat beside Maerin.

 

She took a sip of water. “I tried to look for you after we broke up but all I found were boxes. I called your secretary and she told me that you were moving. It’s a nice place. Really big for one person though.” She looked at him straight in the eyes. “Honestly tell me. You left me for that girl didn’t you?”

 

Hyunjoong sighed. “I can’t lie to you.”

 

Maerin gripped her glass tighter in her hand. “Her name is Jung Somin isn’t it?” she scoffed. “My parents couldn’t stop praising at how you two looked so good together. I can’t believe this! Why did you tell me you love me if you were going to go off and be with another girl? I still don’t understand Kim Hyunjoong. I thought we were doing just fine but apparently I was wrong! What is it Hyunjoong? They’re forcing you to marry her aren’t they? Aren’t they?!”

 

“It’s not like that Maerin!” yelled Hyunjoong. “We both made a mistake and no we—“

 

“What is this mistake you keep talking about?!” interrupted Maerin frustratingly. “how bad was the mistake that you had to leave me?”

 

“I can’t tell you that.”

 

“You could never tell me things could you Hyunjoong. I thought out relationship was more than just kissing and cuddling. I guess not.” She stood up from the living room couch. “I really wanted to come here to understand our break up but its just made me even more angry.”

 

She began to walk towards the doorway when Hyunjoong stood up and stopped her. “What is it that you want to make us on good terms with each other?”

 

Maerin turned to look at him with a cold stare. “All I wanted…was just you.”

 

Hyunjoong flinched as he heard the door slam shut.

 

The emotion pooled over him as he staggered towards the living room to grab his cell phone. He quickly dialed a number.

 

“Hey its me. Want to go out for drinks?”

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

In the middle of the night Somin had been awakened by the constant ringing of her cell phone. She the bedside lamp, grabbed her phone and answered it.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hello?” said a stranger’s voice. “Is this Jung Somin?”

 

“Yes,” said Somin as she slowly sat up on her bed. “Who is this?”

 

“I’m Hyunjoong’s friend and he’s with me right now. He’s really drunk and out of it right now. He can’t tell us where he lives and you were the last person he called on his cell phone. We were wondering if you can come pick him up.”

 

Somin sighed. “Alright, can you give me the address?”

 

After Somin hung up on the phone, she quickly got dressed and called a late night service car. She pulled on her jacket as she got into the black service car. She told the address to the driver and they headed off.

 

A couple of minutes later, the driver stopped outside a packed club. Somin found a group of guys holding up a very drunk Hyunjoong. Somin stepped out into the cold night and began to approach them.

 

“Somin!” Hyunjoong yelled.

 

The guys turned to her and each face showed a sign of relief.

 

Somin introduced herself and asked, “How drunk is he?”

 

“Pretty wasted,” replied one of his friends. “He usually doesn’t drink this much but something must have happened.”

 

Somin nodded as she watched two of his friends help Hyunjoong into the car.

 

“Thank you for watching out for him.”

 

“Can I ask what your relations to each other are? We usually call Maerin but…” He looked up at her for an answer.

 

Somin shrugged. “I’m just his friend.” She turned and got into the car. She instructed the driver to return home.

 

Somin looked at Hyunjoong as he began to play with her hair. He was slumped back in the seat, his eyes glazed over because of the alcohol in his blood.

 

“How much did you have to drink? You look so wasted!”

 

He laughed heartily as if what she just said was a stupid question. “A lot!” He laid his head on her lap.

 

Somin shook him. “Yah, sit up.”

 

He didn’t budge. Somin sighed. She let him slide and looked out the window during their ride home.

 

Once they reached outside the apartment duplex, the driver turned to her and asked if she needed help. Somin gladly accepted his offer considering her condition. Somin woke Hyunjoong up and the driver and her began to help Hyunjoong inside. They put him on the couch and Somin paid the driver.

 

Somin walked towards Hyunjoong and knelt beside him. His face was firmly planted on the couch. He moaned. “Water…”

 

“Do you want water?” asked Somin.

 

He nodded as his response.

 

“Okay let me get it for you.”

 

Before Somin could reach to get the water, Hyunjoong had bolted up the stairs. Somin grabbed a water bottle and quickly followed him. She found him slouched over the toilet seat puking.

 

Somin began patting his back. “Why did you drink so much?!”

 

As he finished puking Somin helped him up and sit on the toilet seat cover. He swayed back and forth trying to keep his balance. Somin reached inside a drawer and took out a new toothbrush. She held his face steady.

 

“Open your mouth,” She instructed. “I’m going to brush your teeth.”

 

He held still for her as she brushed his teeth and washed his face. She helped him take off his coat as they walked out of the bathroom. Somin watch him stumble to her bed and plop down on it.

 

Somin let out a heavy and long sigh. Caring for him when he’s drunk is hard work. Somin walked towards him. She needed the bed. Sleeping on the couch gave her pregnant body back pains.

 

As Somin reached for him, she suddenly felt his hand grab for hers and pull her down on the bed beside him.

 

“Kim Hyunjoong!” She yelled as she struggled against him. “What are you doing?!”

 

“Shhh,” said Hyunjoong as he pulled her close to him. “Stop fighting with me.”

 

Somin relaxed as she looked up at him. He rested his chin on top of her head.

 

“I’m very scared Somin. I gave up everything to do this but my feelings for her are still the same. How can I be a good dad if I can’t be good to the mother of our child? My feelings are so out of control.”  Hyunjoong wrapped her arm tighter around her. “But I’m going to try to suppress those feelings and start to really care for you.”

 

Somin closed her eyes. This…strange warmth. She felt she could trust him. She nestled into his chest.

 

Together they both wandered off to sleep.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

A sharp pain coursed through Hyunjoong’s head as he opened his eyes to a bright and sunny morning. He groaned. What was on his arm? He opened his tired eyes and found Somin’s head on his arm. Her face was barely a centimeter away from his chest. She looked cozy. As he stared down at her, Hyunjoong recalled the events of his drunken antics from last night.

 

Hyunjoong adjusted himself so that he was facing her. He reached over and tucked away strands of hair from her face. He smiled. She had cared for him all night without complaining about it. He looked down and realized her hand was protectively on her belly. Hyunjoong chuckled.

 

Was this the kind of morning Hyunjoong may be able to wake up to everyday? Hyunjoong closed his eyes. It didn’t feel bad.