Moving In

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

“Is this it?”

 

“Yup.

 

“It’s not bad.”

 

“It’s way too white.”

 

“It’s an apartment duplex, aren’t they all white?”

 

“You’re such a boy. Is the land lord here?”

 

“No, but she gave me the key.”

 

“Then, let’s go in.”

 

Somin trailed behind Hyunjoong as he opened the door of their new apartment duplex. It was large, clean and completely furnished. She looked around as she felt ever little detail with her hand. The kitchen was spacious. The living room had a couch and T.V. Perfect for drama watching. She went up the white spiral staircase. She found that the second floor had two rooms, one for the baby and one for them. Well…for Somin. She peeked into the bathroom and it had a shower and bathtub. It also had two sinks for Hyunjoong and Somin.

 

Suddenly, Somin heard footsteps running up the stairs and into the master bedroom. She found Hyunjoong plopped down on the king size bed.

 

“What are you doing?” Somin asked.

 

“What? I can’t lie down on my own bed?”

 

“Your bed?! Oh no no no Kim Hyunjoong. This is my bed!”

 

“No, it’s not. It’s my bed.”

 

You sleep on the couch!”

 

“No, I don’t! You sleep on the couch!”

 

“Kim Hyunjoong, I’m pregnant I need the bed!”

 

Hyunjoong’s playful grin appeared. “How about we share it?”

 

Somin glared at him. “Not if you want to die.”

 

Hyunjoong put his hand up in defeat. “Fine, fine. Come on let’s go get out stuff in the car.”

 

They had rented a mini pick up truck to take boxes of their stuff to their new home. Somin had practically emptied out her bedroom back home. Somin watched Hyunjoong’s expression crumple at the sight of all the boxes.

 

“You didn’t hire movers?”

 

Somin shook her head. “Its not fun if we just sit around and do nothing.”

 

“But it makes our lives easier!”

 

“Oh c’mon,” said Somin picking up a box. “Be a man and just do it.”

 

She heard Hyunjoong sigh as he picked up a box. “Fine.”

 

For the next thirty minutes, Somin and Hyunjoong kept themselves busy unloading the boxes. It had piled up in the living room. Somin began reading the labels.

 

“What are necessities?”

 

“Something you shouldn’t open!”

 

“Alright, alright,” Hyunjoong moved to the next box. “Do you want me to put away these books?”

 

Somin smiled. “That would be nice,” She picked up the box that was labeled with clothes. “I’m going upstairs to put this away in the closet.”

 

“You better leave room for me!”

 

“Maybe!”

 

Somin trudged up the stairs and entered the master bedroom. She opened the door to the closet and found a large walk in closet. One side was for Somin and the other for Hyunjoong. Their mothers picked out well.

 

“Somin!”

 

She popped her head out of the closet door. “Yeah?!”

 

“Come down!”

 

Somin descended down the staircase. She found an empty living room where Hyunjoong should be. “Where are you?”

 

“Over here!”

 

Somin followed Hyunjoong’s voice to a corner of the living room. She found a door opened and entered. Hyunjoong stood in the middle of the medium sized room over a wooden desk.

 

“What is this?” She asked.

 

Hyunjoong held up a small piece of paper. “I think this is your office.”

 

“My office?” As Somin got closer to the desk she realized all her things from the company office were here. She looked around the room more intently. There were shelves filled with the files she had at the company. There was a little area for a small couch and two arm chairs. A little coffee table in the middle held a tea set. She walked over to the wooden rocking chair by the large window.

 

“This is unbelievable…” whispered Somin.

 

“Here,” said Hyunjoong handing her the little piece of paper on her desk.

 

She read the contents out loud. “Your dad told me to move all your things in here. Love your house! Yoomi.” She flipped over the paper. “Just thought you needed a place to think. Dad.”

 

“Oh geez, are you going to cry?”

 

Somin swatted him on the arm. “No, I’m not. Do you have your clothes? Let’s go put them away upstairs.”

 

It grew dark as Somin and Hyunjoong finished emptying out all the boxes and organizing their things. Somin plopped down on the living room couch. Hyunjoong plopped down on the sofa chair next to her.

 

“I’m hungry!” He whined.

 

Somin looked at him. “You’re hungry? Go order something.”

 

“I would, but that’s unhealthy.”

 

“Hyunjoong I’m tired, how about you cook?”

 

“I can only cook ramen. Besides, I want a real home cooked meal.”

 

“I’m too lazy.”

 

“Please?”

 

Somin sighed as she got up from the couch. “Fine, make the pregnant woman do more work. But if I do the cooking you have to sleep on the couch.”

 

“Ugh, can we talk about this later. Just make the food!”

 

“Okay, okay!” Somin walked to the kitchen and began taking pots out of the cabinets. “You’re definitely sleeping on the couch!”

 

Somin began making a simple meal of soup, sweet and sour chicken, white rice and side dishes, kimchi and radish. She set the table and called Hyunjoong to dinner.

 

“The soup is salty but the chicken is okay,” said Hyunjoong once he took a bite of each dish.

 

Somin ignored him as they ate.

 

Suddenly, the telephone rang. Somin motioned Hyunjoong to take it. He grabbed the phone on the living room coffee table.

 

“Hello? Oh hi Mrs. Jung. Yeah, we’re all situated. Yes the place is nice. Yes Somin likes it. You want to talk to her? Oh, together? Okay, one second.”

 

Hyunjoong put her mom on speaker as Somin made her way over.

 

“Hi mom.”

 

“Somin-ah! Do you like the house? How are you feeling? Are you earring well? I miss you!”

 

Somin laughed. “Mom, I’m fine. We’re having dinner right now.”

 

“Okay that’s good, by the way Dad says hi! Well, I’m calling to invite you two to a party we’re hosting tomorrow night.”

 

“What’s it about?” asked Somin.

 

“Oh, your dad just wanted to have a private get together with some business partners and your dad would like it if you were there. So, I want you to buy a new dress. Being Yoomi if you want!”

 

“Okay Mom.”

 

“Be there by 7! Don’t be late! Love you, goodnight!”

 

“Goodnight,” Somin turned off the phone.

 

“So I guess we’re going to a party,” said Hyunjoong as he returned to the dinner table.

 

“Do you think our parents will make us introduce ourselves as a…couple?” asked Somin.

 

“I guess we’ll have to find out,” Hyunjoong took a big spoonful of rice and stuffed it in his mouth.

 

...........................................

 

“Here try these on.”

 

Somin took the handful of dresses Yoomi picked out for her. They were at a high end department store picking out a dress for the party that night.

 

“Yoomi, why did you pick out a lot? I just need one!”

 

“Well,” said Yoomi as she sat down on the fitting room couch. “You never know what fits you now because you know,” She pointed down at her own belly and made a round motion indicating her pregnancy.

 

“Hey! I’m not that big…yet.”

 

Yoomi simply smiled as she pulled out her favorite from the pile. “Here, try this black one. It’ll make you look slimmer.” She began to push Somin into the dressing room. She slid the curtain close.

 

Somin began to change out of her street clothes to try on the dresses. She began to look at herself in the mirror. She was the same lean Somin but now with a slight baby bump. She placed her hand over her warm belly.

 

“So, tell me what happened on your first night.”

 

Somin laughed. “It was nothing Yoomi, I made him dinner and we went to bed.”

 

“Together?!”

 

“No, I made him sleep on the couch. It took a bit of persuading but I won.”

 

Yoomi laughed. “Good for you, now come out and let me see you.”

 

Somin hesitantly opened the fitting room curtain. “Is it okay?”

 

“You have to come out for me to see! Don’t hide behind the curtain Mrs. Kim.”

 

Somin rolled her eyes as she walked out of the dressing room. Yoomi clapped her hands in satisfaction.

“Perfect, you look so pretty.”

 

“Really?”

 

Together, the two of them looked at the big mirror. The dress was simple and black. It was a long slimming hour glass dress. It was strapless on one side with the other a thick strap with a black large bow on it. There were small gems outlining her neck line. It was pretty.

 

“I like it,” smiled Somin. “It really does hide my baby bump.”

 

“Now,” said Yoomi grabbing her coat. “All we need to do is hair and make up and you’ll be perfect for tonight.”

 

Somin returned inside the dressing room and dressed out of the dress and began to put back her regular clothes on. “I’m hungry by the way!” She called out.

 

“You’re hungry my pregnant best friend?!” yelled out Yoomi. “Hurry up so that I can treat you too lunch.”

 

Somin quickly got her things and together her and Yoomi went down to the restaurant to have lunch.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Hyunjoong sat in his hotel office, hunched over a pile of paperwork that needed to get done.

 

“Mr. Kim.”

 

Hyunjoong looked up to find his secretary at his office door. “Yes?”

 

“You have a call from your mother.”

 

“Okay, I’ll take if from here.” Hyunjoong picked up his phone. “Yes umma?”

 

“Hi Hyunjoong, I just wanted to remind you that tonight is the party,” said his mom cheerfully.

 

“Yes, I know,” replied Hyunjoong focusing more on his paperwork.

 

“Why aren’t you with Somin picking out suits and dresses?”

 

“I’m really busy right now umma. Besides, I have many suits at home,” replied Hyunjoong. “I don’t need a new one.”

 

“Hyunjoong what are you saying?!” He heard his mom sigh. “This is the first time you and Somin are going out together in public. Don’t you think it would be nice to wear something new?”

 

“Mom, don’t worry about it. I’ll look nice just for Somin okay? I’m going to hang up now. See you later umma!”

 

Hyunjoong quickly hung up the phone and continued to do his work.

 

Hours later, it was already 5 p.m.The sky was turning dark. Hyunjoong decided that it was time to head home. He said goodbye to his secretary and headed out to his car.

 

Twenty minutes later he arrived outside of their new apartment duplex and parked the car in the neighborhood parking lot. As he walked up the stairs, Hyunjoong realized that there was only one light on in the living room. He opened the door and walked inside. Hyunjoong found Somin sleeping on the couch. She was lying flat on her back with her hand over her belly. Three shopping bags were placed on the floor beside her. She must have been exhausted after shopping for her new dress. He looked at the time. It was almost 6:00 p.m.They had to get ready for the party tonight.

 

With his fingers he softly tapped Somin’s shoulders. “Somin, wake up. Somin…”

 

Her eyes slowly opened. “Oh, Hyunjoong you’re home.” Somin slowly sat up. “What time is it?”

 

“It’s almost time to go to the party. I’m going to go ahead and shower first.”

 

“Wait! Let me shower first, it takes long for me.”

 

“No way, let me go first.”

 

“Rock, paper, scissors?”

 

Hyunjoong nodded.

 

“Rock, paper, scissors and shoot!”

 

Hyunjoong had scissor and Somin had rock. She got up from the couch, stuck her tongue out at Hyunjoong and began to make her way upstairs to the bathroom.

 

Hyunjoong laughed out loud as he settled in the couch, the T.V. and waited for his turn to shower.

 

...........................................

 

Hyunjoong and Somin arrived at the venue at exactly 7 p.m.They both weren’t the type to be late to anything. Hyunjoong was wearing an all black suit, white tailored shirt inside, and a silver tie. He gave the keys to the valet and opened the car door for Somin. He helped her out of the car.

 

Somin looked pretty in her new dress. Her long brown hair was curled in a half up do. They began walking up to the doors. Inside were their parents waiting for them.

 

“The place is nice Umma and Appa,” said Somin as she hugged her parents.

 

“You look so pretty Somin, let me feel your belly!” said Hyunjoong’s mom as she reached for Somin.

 

“Umma!” yelled Hyunjoong. “This is not the place to say that!”

 

“Hyunjoong, just let her. Its fine,” said Somin. “Here, Mrs. Kim.” Somin put Hyunjoong’s mom’s hand on her belly. “I haven’t grown that much since you last saw me.”

 

“Oh, I’m so excited!”

 

“Yeobo, we’re late. Let’s go in now,” said Hyunjoong’s dad. “Come on kids.”

 

They both let the adults go ahead of them before trailing behind. Hyunjoong held his arm out for Somin to take. Somin looked at him.

 

“Take it, our mothers will love it.”

 

Somin chuckled as she put her arm around his.

 

The door to the venue opened and they walked in. Hyunjoong looked around. The venue space was big and spacious. Many people were mingling about. It was cocktail hour.

 

“Oh my god.”

 

Hyunjoong turned to Somin who was starring at something. He turned to the direction she was looking at and saw a large poster with a sleek looking cell phone on it. Words like brand new, sleek, colorful were on the poster.

 

“What is it?” He asked.

 

“That’s my cell phone,” replied Somin.

 

“Surprise!”

 

They both turned around and found Somin’s parents standing behind them with bright smiles on their faces.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

“Appa, why is my phone everywhere?!”

 

Her mom smiled. “It’s dad’s surprise gift for you. He really liked your phone that you pitched a few weeks ago.”

 

“I sped up the production,” said her dad. “And today is the launch party.”

 

“Appa, why?!”

 

“What? I really like it and so did the Japanese company. They want your phone to be shipped out to their country by next week.”

 

Somin gave a huge hug to her dad. “Thank you so much dad. I really appreciate it.”

 

Her dad patted her on the back. “I thought you would. Now go on and socialize. You and Hyunjoong need to get yourselves acquainted with some of the stock holders and business owners.”

 

She pouted her lips at him. “You’ll never stop thinking about business will you?”

 

His dad laughed. “Nope.”

 

Somin took hold of Hyunjoong’s arm again and they both continued to walk around the room.

 

“Yah, Jang Somin. So this is what you do,” said Hyunjoong indicating her cell phone product. “I may have to buy one.”

 

Somin nodded. “Good, it’ll add to sales.”

 

Hyunjoong glared at her as Somin jokingly laughed.

 

“Jung Somin,”

 

Somin turned around and found Mr. Seo, one of dad’s business buddies. He was with his wife. She bowed to both of them. “Mr. Seo, how are you?”

 

He smiled at her. “I’m fine thank you. This is my wife.”

 

“Is this your boyfriend? Oh, you’re the Kim’s son right? You two look great together,” said Mr. Seo’s wife.

 

Somin blushed as she felt Hyunjoong’s arm wrap around her. “Thank you,” They both said.

 

They moved on to more business associates, stock holders, their parents’ friends, and etc. Somin continued to be complimented and praised for her cell phone and compliment by having Hyunjoong as her boyfriend.

 

After cocktail hour, dinner was ready to be served. Somin and Hyunjoong took a seat at a table with their parents and began to eat. They chatted about their new home and moving in.

 

An hour flew by as they socialized and chatted happily with others. Somin felt good after eating all the party food. She was starving prior to the party. As she continued to eat more food, Somin suddenly became nauseous. She quickly excused herself from the table and ran off to the bathroom.

 

As she entered the bathroom, she ran to the sink and hunched over it. Suddenly, she heard footsteps run into the bathroom.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

It was Hyunjoong. “Yeah, I’m fine just go back to the table.”

 

Somin started to gag.

 

“You’re not okay,” She heard him say.

 

Somin closed her eyes as she began to throw up what she had just eaten. She suddenly felt Hyunjoong behind her and hold her hair for her. As she finished, Somin the sink and lightly splashed water on her face.

 

“Let’s go home,” announced Hyunjoong.

 

Somin nodded as Hyunjoong led her out of the bathroom. She told their parents that she wasn’t feeling well and that they were going home. They walked outside to the large hall. Hyunjoong instructed her to wait as he got their coats.

 

A few minutes later, Hyunjoong came back with their coats. He helped Somin put hers on as she protested that he didn’t have too. Hyunjoong only shrugged it off as he put on his own coat. He then went up to the valet and requested for his car and keys.

 

As they waited for the car Hyunjoong put his arm around her once again.

 

“Are you feeling a bit better?” He asked softly.

 

Somin nodded. She spotted his car come up. “It’s here.”

 

They began to walk together to the front when suddenly someone had stopped them. Somin looked up to find a pretty and tall woman stand before them. She stared at them with cold eyes. She felt Hyunjoong’s arm slowly drop from her shoulders.

 

“Go ahead in the car and get warm. I’ll be right there.”

 

Somin nodded at his instructions and followed the valet man to the car. As she walks away, she turned her head around and heard the woman say, “So that’s what it is.”

 

He must know her. Somin continued on towards the car attempting to disregard whatever their relationship was.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

“What are you doing here Maerin?” asked Hyunjoong.

 

“You left me for her?! You bastard. Is she your new toy?”

 

Hyunjoong closed his eyes. His patience was wearing thin. “What are you doing here Maerin?”

 

“My father is friends with the Jung’s.” Maerin crossed her arms. “What are you doing here?”

 

“My parents are friends with the Jung’s as well. They invited me here.”

 

“Then who is she?”

 

“It’s none of your business Maerin. Look, I’ve got to go. Goodbye Maerin.” Hyunjoong began walking away.

 

“You can’t get rid of me that easily!”

 

Hyunjoong stopped in his tracks.

 

“You said you loved me Hyunjoong. You promised me that we would be together forever. I’m not going to go away Kim Hyunjoong just because you want me too.”

 

Hyunjoong turned his head around and watched Maerin disappear into the halls on the venue place.

 

He still loved her, he did. But there are more important priorities right now. If Maerin was going to be a threat towards Somin and their baby, she had to be stopped. Hyunjoong needed to really talk it out with her. And soon.