Here Comes The Bride

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

 

“Welcome back to K-News in the Morning. I’m your host Sang Soohee and today we welcome our special guest Kim Hyunjoong. You all may know him as the son and heir of billionaire business man Kim Daejo of Daejo Hotels. But recently we all may better know him as Jung Somin’s possible lover. Jung Somin took the Korean business by storm when she replaced her sick father’s CEO position in the Jung Tech Cell phone Company, one of the leading cell phone companies in the world,” The interviewer turned to Hyunjoong with a small smile. “So tell us Hyunjoong sshii, what is your story with Jung Somin?”
 
 
“Well,” replied Hyunjoong. “Our story began in 2006.”
 
 
“2006?!” exclaimed the interviewer. “Many had assumed you two had met just this past year since her shot to business fame.”
 
 
He shook his head. “We met on New Years Eve and well we had a good time with each other that lasted until the next morning.”
 
 
The audience hooted and hollered in laughter.
 
 
“Now that we know of your long past with each other, can we assume that Somin’s child is yours?”
 
 
Hyunjoong nodded. “Jung Eli is my child.”
 
 
A few gasps were heard from the audience.
 
 
“We were drunk New Year Eve with her just breaking up with her boyfriend and me having a bad fight with my girlfriend at the time. We both needed companionship and found it in each other.”
 
 
“So what happened?” asked Soohee. “Why did your relationship just get noticed now?”
 
 
“We broke up in 2006. She left me and I went to America,” replied Hyunjoong.
 
 
“May I ask what the break up was about?”
 
 
Hyunjoong looked at her with a complacent smile. “I don’t think so.”
 
 
She laughed, put her hands up and shrugged. “Okay then! But as of now your relationship is good? Sources say that you’ve been reunited with Eli since Somin came back from Jeju Island.”
 
 
“Yes we have and it has been great. The relationship between Somin and I is going really well. We’ve honestly recently got back together but has never stopped loving each other for five years.” Hyunjoong said as he sat more in his seat. “It did take us a while to find each other again and ever since we’ve been taking each day slow, reconnecting with each other.”
 
 
The interviewer put her hands together and mouthed ’aw’. While the audience was still cooing over Hyunjoong’s comment she said, “Now this is the number one question everyone wants to know. Are plans of marriage in the future for Kim Hyunjoong and Jung Somin?” 
 
 
Hyunjoong leaned back in his chair and gave Soohee a huge smile. “Of course,”
 
 
Switch~...//...//...
 
 
Somin took out two bags of navy blue luggage’s from the hospital suite closet. She set them by her father’s bed as she watched her mother open up all the dresser drawers. 
 
 
“What do you have in here dad that requires you to have two luggage’s?” asked Somin as she rolled her eyes at him.
 
 
Her dad laughed as her mom answered, “It’s all his sweaters. He gets cold easily since he’s getting old.”
 
 
Somin’s father was finally being discharged today after staying in the hospital for over two months. He had done surprisingly well in his physical therapy for a man who had a pretty severe . Of course, her dad would be in a wheel chair for a while and still attend weekly physical therapy sessions but he was just happy to be finally leaving the hospital. 
 
 
“Isn’t it about time Hyunjoong’s interview start?” asked her mom. 
 
 
Somin looked up at the clock and realized she was right. Somin grabbed the remote control and turned the T.V. on to the K-News Channel. They helped Somin’s dad into a chair closer to the T.V. and sat down to watch.
 
 
A few weeks ago, Somin and Hyunjoong had gathered their families to discuss their relationship. They were all mutually thrilled that the two were back together and agreed that an interview would be the best solution to dislodge all rumors.
 
 
“I’m so excited!” exclaimed her mother. “What is he wearing Somin?”
 
 
“He’s wearing his charcoal gray button down shirt under a black cardigan and tan corduroy pants with his brown shoes,” replied Somin. “He wanted to look casual today.”
 
 
Her parents laughed. “You didn’t need to be that specific!” 
 
 
She shrugged playfully. “Well you asked!”
 
 
The interview went on with the host asking Hyunjoong questions. Somin and her mom were folding clothes into the luggage as they watched. 
 
 
“Are plans for marriage in the future for Kim Hyunjoong and Jung Somin?”
 
 
The room went quiet as all three heads snapped their attention to the T.V.
 
 
“Of course,”
 
 
Immediate reaction came from Somin’s mom as she stood up and yelled, “Honey they’re getting married!”
 
 
“Congratulations Somin!” said her dad happily.
 
 
Somin’s face flushed as she could not stop smiling. She was once engaged to him but this time it felt like a different feeling. Marriage would be nice…but with the media blowing up their relationship and their respectable jobs making their lives busy, marriage had to just be put on hold for now. 
 
 
“We’re not getting married right now mom!”
 
 
“What?! Why not?!” yelled her mother. “You two already have a kid, what are you waiting for?!”
 
 
“Mom! He hasn’t asked me yet!” replied Somin. 
 
 
“Again, what are you two waiting for?!” Her mom sighed as she sat back down. “We’re all not getting any younger, including you Somin ah.”
 
 
She didn’t answer her mom as she continued folding clothes.
 
 
“Is that the end of the interview?!”
 
 
“Honey please, I’m being discharged today, don’t make me have to come back with all the headaches you’re giving me because of all the yelling.”
 
 
“Dear, shut up.”
 
 
Somin let out a laugh as she yelled, “You two are ridiculous!”
 
 
Switch~...//...//...
 
 
Hyunjoong closed the door of his car and made his way to the front door of Somin’s parents house. He rang the door bell and Ahjumma answered the door. She gave him a teasing eye smile.
 
 
Hyunjoong rolled his eyes. “You saw the interview.”
 
 
Ahjumma moved aside from the door and let Hyunjoong in. “What person in the nation hasn’t?”
 
 
Hyunjoong smiled at her as he took off his shoes and coat. “Where’s Mr. and Mrs. Jung? I heard he was discharged today.”
 
 
Ahjumma took his coat as she said, “They’re already asleep upstairs and so is Eli but Somin is in the office doing late night work.”
 
 
He thanked Ahjumma and headed towards the office. He opened the door and found the familiar sounds of ‘Tetris’ being played. He leaned against the door frame with his arms crossed. “This is what Ahjumma meant by busy work?”
 
 
Somin’s head popped out from behind the desktop computer with a surprised smile on her face. She got up and walked across the room towards Hyunjoong. She grabbed the collar of his shirt, went on his tiptoes, pulled him close, and kissed him deeply on the lips.
 
 
“You’ve been doing that lately,” said Hyunjoong as she let him go.
 
 
“Doing what?” She asked.
 
 
“Kissing me first.”
 
 
Somin closed her eyes as she said, “Then you kiss me now.”
 
 
Hyunjoong laughed as he wrapped his arms around her waist and pecked her on the lips. “What did I do to deserve you?”
 
 
Somin smiled as she cupped his face between her hands. “I should be asking you that question. Anyways, my baby did really well today.”
 
 
“The interview? Eh, I did decent.” replied Hyunjoong as they sat together on the couch.
 
 
“When you mentioned marriage my mother practically peed in her pants,” laughed Somin. 
 
 
“Well I had to say it since the interviewer asked,” said Hyunjoong. “Besides, marriage for us isn’t far.”
 
 
Hyunjoong felt Somin’s hand on top of his. “I want to wait for a bit before we get married. We’re both busy and right now simply just being together is fine with me.”
 
 
Hyunjoong was taken aback. He had assumed Somin wanted to be married right away just like he did. He had waited five years. What was Somin waiting for?
 
 
“But I don’t want to wait any longer,” replied Hyunjoong as he took his hand away. “I want to marry you. I could marry you tomorrow for all I care but I just can’t wait. Our parents can’t wait and nor can Eli. Are you not ready or is it that you don’t love me?”
 
 
“No, no, no, no, no! That’s not it Hyunjoong! Of course I love you! You just have to understand that marriage isn’t at the top of my list for now. My dad just got out of the hospital. He can’t work until he’s a lot better. You and I are both busy. If we do get married now, we’ll have no time for each other. I want to marry you when our lives are both stress free and we can just focus on us.” 
 
 
Hyunjoong thought for a moment as he processed what Somin was saying. She was right. They were both busy and it would be a bad time. He had to it up and go with her plans. “Alright,”
 
 
Somin’s eyes brightened as she said, “I knew you’d understand.”
 
 
“But don’t make me wait that long,” smiled Hyunjoong as he put an arm around Somin’s shoulder. “I’m an impatient man.”
 
 
As they continued on talking, the two eventually fell asleep in each other’s arms and in each others embrace, was warm all night.
 
 
Switch~...//...//...
 
 
This weekend was Maerin’s wedding at a beach in Seoul. Somin and Hyunjoong were on their way to the venue. Somin was wearing a strapless floor length sea green dress with royal blue iridescent. As for Hyunjoong, he wore a black suit and matched his bow tie to her dress. Her hair was up in an elegant wavy bun. She turned her head at Hyunjoong and found him staring at her. She leaned her head against the car seat with a smile. “What?”
 
 
“You’re beautiful.”
 
 
Somin laughed as she pretended to gag. 
 
 
He took a hold of her hand and played with it. “Will you be okay?”
 
 
Somin nodded. “Of course.”
 
 
“Good.”
 
 
“Why? Did you think I was going to start a fight or something?”
 
 
“I…was sort of hoping it.”
 
 
“Hyunjoong!”
 
 
“I’m just kidding!”
 
 
After another hour, they arrived outside of the wedding venue. Somin was in awe as she stepped out of the car, and onto the plush white carpet. The walkway was lined on both sides with large pots of white and red roses. The walkway ended at the grand doors of the building where a man was checking invitations. She looked to the left and saw the beach peek through from behind the building where tables and chairs were set up. Somin could just imagine what the inside would look like. 
 
 
Somin felt Hyunjoong snake his arm around her waist. “I told the driver he could drive around for a while until the wedding is over.” He sighed. “This is exactly how I pictured Maerin’s wedding to be, luxurious and expensive.”
 
 
Somin let out a small laugh. “It’s gorgeous though.”
 
 
As they made their way in, Hyunjoong kept whispering in her ear of the important people she should look for. Maerin’s family was of high society class. They continued on mingling amongst the guests, establishing themselves as a couple. After endless handshaking, Somin excused herself to find the bride. 
 
 
Somin followed a spiral staircase up to the second floor and knocked on the door labeled “Bride”. 
 
 
“Come in!”
 
 
Somin opened the door and immediately said, “I hope I’m not disturbing you.”
 
 
“Jung Somin!” Maerin immediately stood up and opened her arms for Somin to hug her. Her wedding dress was a skin tight ivory dress embellished with floral patterned pearls. Her dress train was mermaid as it wrapped around her legs. Her long hair was pulled back into a wavy up do with wisps of shorter pieces of hair framing her small face. Her make up was subtle yet it accentuated every part of her face beautifully. “So, how do I look?”
 
 
Somin gave her a hug as she said, “Gorgeous.”
 
 
They let go of each other and Maerin smiled at her. “I’m glad you came.”
 
 
“Me too,” replied Somin. “I’m sorry for everything that happened between us.”
 
 
Maerin shook her head. “I’m sorry. If it weren’t for me, these past five years wouldn’t have been the way they were. I’m really sorry for that.”
 
 
She shrugged. “It was the past. Let’s just…forget about it. Today is a day of celebrating anyways.” Somin began making her way towards the door. “Congratulations Maerin.”
 
 
“Thank you Somin.”
 
 
...........................................
 
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, I know present to you all, Mr. and Mrs. Dongwon Kim!”
 
 
A round of applause erupted around the beach as Maerin and Dongwon began their official walk towards their table as a married couple. She felt Hyunjoong squeeze her hand under the table as they watched. The two made a Thank You speech to all the guests, and finally the party really began. 
 
 
They were all served full course meals and Somin was just so satisfied with everything. They danced a few songs and laughed at the video montage of Dongwon and Maerin’s relationship. Maerin’s maid of honor did a tearful speech and the two households joined together for a big cheer. 
 
 
“And now it’s time for the bride to throw her bouquet! Don’t run ladies! Let’s make this as safe as possible!” joked the MC.
 
 
Hyunjoong encouraged Somin to go up there. She was pushed by the rest of the guests to go and Somin reluctantly did. She ran to the back just as the MC started counting off. 
 
 
Before Somin knew it, the bouquet was flying towards her and instinctively she let her hands out. The bouquet landed gently in her hands. An applause erupted and Somin could see Maerin jumping up and down excitedly on stage. 
 
 
Blushing, Somin looked over at Hyunjoong who was clapping along and smiling widely.
 
 
The party went on. The sun had set and beautiful stringed lights illuminated the beach. Tired, Somin was sitting at her table wearing Hyunjoong’s suit jacket over her shoulders and clutching onto the bouquet. Her shoes were off and she felt the salty air course through her skin. Somin was staring at Hyunjoong who was talking to some guys he knew. 
 
 
“It’s a sign you know.”
 
 
Somin jumped in her seat as she turned her head around and found Maerin standing behind her. She had changed into her second wedding outfit, a cream knee length dress with a large red ribbon wrapped around her waist and red pumps. She sat down beside Somin. “You’ve got a good man in your hands.” 
 
 
Somin’s eyes turned back to Hyunjoong and with a soft smile responded, “Yes, yes I do.”
 
 
“Then do me a huge favor,” said Maerin. “Marry him and make more Eli’s.”
 
 
Somin chuckled. “Those are my future plans.”
 
 
Suddenly the music stopped and the MC got hold of the microphone. “And now, I’d like to invite all couples to join the newlyweds on the dance floor.”
 
 
Hyunjoong began making his way towards Somin and as he reached her, he stuck out his hand. “May I have this dance, Jung Somin?”
 
 
Maerin squeezed her arm as Somin put her hand in his. 
 
 
“You may,”
 
 
He lead her to the dance floor as a romantic song began to play. He put his hands on her waist as she put hers around his neck. They slowly danced without taking their eyes off each other. 
 
 
He pressed his forehead against hers and kissed the tip of her nose. “I love you,” Hyunjoong whispered.
 
 
She smiled as her heart fluttered. The perfect man was in her arms and she was intending to keep him, forever. 
 
 
7 Months Later~...//...//...
 
 
Hyunjoong waved his hands in his face to cool down as he yelled, “Can someone turn up the air conditioning in here?!”
 
 
Mrs. Jung and Hyunjoong’s mom appeared from inside the restaurant kitchen. “We’ve got dinner set!”
 
 
Hyunjoong looked down at the restaurant table decorated by Hyunjoong himself with the help of his mother and Mrs. Jung. Today was Somin and his anniversary, well first kiss anniversary at the beach in May six years ago. This time, he was planning to propose. Right now, they were at a fancy restaurant in the heart of Seoul which Hyunjoong hand rented out for the evening. 
 
 
A month ago, Hyunjoong had decided he had waited long enough. Somin, Eli, and him were already living together. They had bought a house a couple of months ago but they were just still so busy. Thinking that it was the perfect time to propose plus make it even more special by doing it at an anniversary, his proposal would definitely not be rejected. 
 
 
He had gone to both their families to plan for the event. Of course, the mothers wanted to be included into every detail. From what Hyunjoong would wear tonight down to the position of his knee when he kneeled down to pop the question, the moms had a say. The dads were equally ecstatic but preferred to show it through spending time together. Even Eli was part of the plan. For the whole day he was to keep Somin company until she arrived outside of the restaurant. Everything had to be perfect. 
 
 
“You should go on home and get ready,” said Hyunjoong’s mom as she looked at the clock.
 
 
“Are you sure?” asked Hyunjoong. “Not everything is set up yet.”
 
 
“Don’t worry about it future son in law!” said Somin’s mom. “Me and Misung will finish up.” 
 
 
Hyunjoong let out a grateful sigh. “Thank. I really appreciate all the help.”
 
 
With that, he headed out to get for the big night.
 
 
...........................................
 
 
Hyunjoong was waiting outside of the restaurant nervously, staring down at his watch. She was late. Hyunjoong fixed the tie around his neck impatiently and smoothed down his dress shirt. She was now more than 10 minutes late. 
 
 
Suddenly, a black car pulled up beside Hyunjoong. The back door opened and out stepped Somin. She was wearing a cream blue flowy dress, perfect for May, and peep toe heels. Her hair was let loose in soft waves. Hyunjoong couldn’t help but smile. 
 
 
“Sorry I’m late,” said Somin as she walked up to him. “When my mom came to pick up Eli, she demanded me to change. I thought we decided that this was going to be casual so I had worn a t-shirt and jeans.”
 
 
Hyunjoong kissed her on the cheek and took her hand. “It doesn’t matter what you wear as long as you’re here.” 
 
 
He led her inside the restaurant and to her table.
 
 
“Wow, it’s really nice in here!” exclaimed Somin. “If this is what you meant by casual Kim Hyunjoong then I wouldn’t mind this everyday.”
 
 
He laughed as he pulled the chair for her to sit on. Their dinner was served. They talked throughout dinner but all Hyunjoong could think about was how exactly he was going to propose to her. Would it be during dessert? Or could it be when she goes off to the bathroom for a bit. He nervously kept touching the ring box in his pocket. Hyunjoong didn’t want to make everyone wait either. They were secretly hiding in the kitchen, having dinner, waiting for Hyunjoong to propose. 
 
 
The dessert came out and so did a text from his mother urging him to “Just do it already!”.
 
 
Hyunjoong decided that now was the right moment. 
 
 
“Somin, I have a question to ask.”
 
 
She stopped eating her cake to look at him. “What is it?”
 
 
“When,” started Hyunjoong. “Would be the best time to ask you to marry me?”
 
 
She smiled as she set her fork down. “Honestly, any time would be the best time.” 
 
 
Hyunjoong then got up from his seat, took out the ring box, and next to Somin’s chair knelt down on one knee. “Jung Somin, I love you. Not maybe, not tomorrow, not someday, but right now at this very moment. I know that I need you, I trust you, and I admire you. And you can be wrong a lot of the time, and we can fight, and get mad at each other, but nothing, nothing in this world can change the fact that I love you. Jung Somin, will you marry me?”
 
 
Somin could barely catch her breath as she jumped up from the chair and yelled, “Yes!” 
 
 
As Hyunjoong slipped the diamond ring on her finger, a frenzy of poppers and hollering came out from the kitchen. Their family, Somin’s mom and dad, Hyunjoong’s mom and dad, Ahjumma, Yoomi and Jinho, and Eli came out blowing on horns and popping poppers and confetti sprinklers. “Congratulations!” They all yelled.
 
 
“You guys are all here?!” exclaimed Somin with a shocked expression. “Is that why you told me to change mom?” She turned to Hyunjoong. “This first kiss anniversary isn’t that special enough to do all this!”
 
 
He shrugged. “I wanted to do it and they all wanted to celebrate.”
 
 
The waitress and waiters began joining tables to let them all sit and enjoy dessert together. 
 
 
As Hyunjoong looked at the family he loved, he just could not wait to start his married life with Somin. 
 
 
Finally.